Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Isle of Skye
  • xc-steve
    Free Member

Hello all, me and Mrs XC-Steve are heading to Skye in a couple weeks with our main activity planned to do walking.

Any particular walks we ‘Must Do’ or places we must visit? Have checked around but there’s so much info on the island its hard to narrow it down.

(we’re based pritty central btw)

globalti
    Free Member

You MUST drive to Elgol and take the boat to Coruisk, thought to be the wildest place left in Britain. Watch out for basking sharks on the way. Then either take the boat back or walk out over the Cuillins to Glenbrittle (needs rock climbing) or walk round via the Bad Step (not very bad) to Camasunary, spend the night in the superb bothy there and then walk out to Kilmarie the next day or along the coast back to Elgol.

When you reach Coruisk, walk inland and have a swim in the loch and marvel at the way the short river Coruisk runs over the glaciated slabs and pours into the sea, a really amazing and ancient meeting place that hasn’t changed at all in thousands of years.

That’s what you must do on Skye.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Went to Coruisk 10 years ago – it was fantastic.

ElShalimo

the cafe at Elgol does great cakes

acehtn
    Free Member

What Globalti said 🙂 planning that exact trip in the future.

I sort of cheated last year and parked on the road, only about an hours walk into Camasunary bothy, little caff over looking the harbour is fab. Then i found out about the boat trips and started planning 🙂

Would be a cracking little adventure to nip out on the boat tour, get dropped off on the way back and walk round to the bothy.

Stein Inn is worth a vist, good food, cracking little caff and cake shop called Jann’s near Dunvegan castle.

ElShalimo

There’s loads of fantastic walking to do there, here’s some suggestions:
    -Get up on an easier part of the Cuillin ridge, have a picnic, admire it and get down safely again. Bruich na Frithe from Sligachan is a straight forward day out for an experienced walker.
    -If the ridge is a bit too much then there’s amazing views of it from Bla Bheinn. Ascend from Kilmarie and retrace your route to descend.
    -Quiraing and The Old Man of Storr are certainly worth a visit too (walk up on to The Storr and look down at the The Old Man too).
    -Macleods Maidens are also worth the effort.
    -Day trip to Raasay is nice just don’t miss your return ferry to Skye.

athgray
    Free Member

The Red Cuillin and Quirang are good for a wander.

mattsccm
    Free Member

“Bruich na Frithe from Sligachan is a straight forward day out for an experienced walker.”
    2nd this. did it by myself, no one else on the hill a few years ago in mist and rain. Spooky! then again this May in perfect sun and views for miles. amazing place.
    2nd the Stoer as well.

CountZero

Whenever I see the Cuillins and The Old Man of Storr mentioned it always reminds me of the book The Stonor Eagles, and how much it’s made me want to visit Skye. Hasn’t happened yet, but it’s somewhere I plan on visiting before too much time has passed.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

get eaten alive by midges !!

scotroutes

That last was my final Munro. Just me, some mates and a TV crew for a Japanese TV station 🙂

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/p/compleating-my-munros.html

Also worth visting;

The wee coral beach near Dunvegan.
    Walk into Coire Ghrannda from the campsite at Glenbrittle. You can play around on the rocks and marvel at the mountains.
    Pub crawl in Portree on a Saturday night.

theblackmount
    Free Member

As mentioned above day trip to Raasay – and do Dun Caan. Ascend by the Inverarish track then back down through the deserted settlement of Hallaig. The North end also looks very interesting. If you take bikes and get your skates on you could probably see a little of that in a day as well.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Head to the very south and walk and explore around the light house and the hidden beaches.

The Black sands of Talisker Bay is a great short walk for a day off.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Isle of Skye’ is closed to new replies.