Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Isle of Man End 2 End
  • drapes
    Free Member

Is anyone racing the isle of man end to end race on the 13th of September? I am, but havent quite planned my travel arrangements very well. Basically is anyone taking their car on the ferry? I will share the cost of the ferry if i can put my bike in the car for the crossing.
    cheers matt

disco_stu
    Free Member

are you looking to put the bike in the car for security? In the past i've just locked my bike up next to the motorbikes and gone on as a footpassenger.

rolymo
    Free Member

you can take your bike on as a foot passenger, much cheaper than coughing up for booking a car on.

or is it just the security of your bike on the ferry?

Dimmadan
    Free Member

We are going over to ride the TT course and the circumforance route in spring. 4 of us on foot leaving car secure in Liverpool carpark, 4 foot passengers costing £180 all in. Found a bike friendly B&B with secure bike garage and its £24 a night.

Cheap weekend away.

uplink
    Free Member

Taking a car on that ferry is quite expensive a couple of hundred quid or so

We took a van over recently & it was £1000+

Dimmadan
    Free Member

They wanted £400 for the car with 4 in.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

you just put your bike on the car deck. no one is going to nick it at sea!

just did 6 ferries in scotland with bikes and it cost us £30 each for the whole lot.

drapes
    Free Member

ok, so looks like going on as a foot passenger is the way to go. Just thought my bike might get stripped down to the frame if ive let it out of my sight.

Can anyone reccomend a carpark to leave my car in all weekend?

cheers

uplink
    Free Member

Parking at the ferry terminal in Heysham is only ~£5/day IIRC

KeithBrief
    Free Member

Drapes,

If you can, come as a foot passenger – it's much, much cheaper and I'd be amazed if anything was to happen to your bike.

The ferry is incredibly expensive but that's the result of our only ferry service being owned by a bunch of Australian venture capitalists.

There's a few hundred coming from "across" and I'm certain that many will be foot passengers too.

On the downside, it's been very wet here of late so make sure you bring plenty of weather-resistant clothing.

Have a good one.

KB

stevio

Bring your mud x's or similar if last year's Surby Slurry is to be repeated (everyone's bike was grey with slurry like mud from some fields near the end – 1 mate couldn't remember where he'd put his bike down after finishing, tho that could have been in his rush to get a finisher's Buff!)

Likely weather – probably ok with the odd chance of a heavy shower for 4 to 5 hours. 🙂

Gordymac
    Free Member

Is anyone staying on the Sunday night? We are so we can have a few beers, getting the first ferry back to Heysham on the Monday morning.

How about a course conditions report after the Manx riders have finished their ride this Sunday(Although i have already decided that the trailrakers are going on!)

Gordymac
    Fyrishbikes.com

GaVgAs
    Free Member

£191 for a vw transporter,but I booked in the spring. 😉

robarnold
    Free Member

The course, as with everywhere else over here is VERY wet. However, the event is predominantly contested on hard standing trails so we may well get away with it. The rutted moorland after the first short, sharp offroad climb will stand up ok apart from a couple of short low-lying areas, but they are very brief indeed. The authorities and event organisers are making huge efforts to enable the technical descent down the side of Cronk Ny Arrey Lea passable for the event; they've closed it to all users for the last few weeks (stopping two big motorcycle trials using it) to try and help it dry out. They are also constructing some boardwalk sections over the boggiest bits. It was a similar story last year whereby they had to pull this section out and we had to go down the road parallel to it which was a great shame.
    In summary, I would definitely pack your mud tyres, atleast for the front

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Isle of Man End 2 End’ is closed to new replies.