Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Isle of Dogs – Wes Anderson…
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Being a huge Wes fan I was gonna eat my left middle finger if I couldn’t see his new film.

I am left wondering if my finger would have been more nourishing…

Its a bit “odd” to say the least. Under normal Wes writing you form a connection with at least one or two characters, not this one though.

Visually fabulous, first few scenes had me stretched and relaxed only for the next 1/2 hr to wash right over me despite my lack of concentration. Interesting visually, slow characterisation, bland storyline, disjointed narrative.

Maybe it will translate better on the small screen, I do hope so. Because this was too over the top self indulgent, even for me.

3/10 only go if you are a Wes fanbouy…

shermer75
    Free Member

I thought it was on a par with Grand Budapest Hotel, which is very high indeed! I loved it, sorry to hear you didn’t. Maybe it’s worth a rewatch?

Watty

Definitely worth another two or three watches I’d say. As with all his films there’s so much going on that it’s easy to miss something. I honestly believe he’s ‘out Wesed’ himself, it was so clever. Maybe you were just in the wrong mood?

mrmoofo

Hated GBH …

But I really liked Isle of Dogs …

Appears very simple … but it’s not …

And I will take to dogs over any Hollywood actors, any day ..

Pigface
    Free Member

Going to see it Saturday

DezB
    Free Member

I saw a review on Film 2018, looked pretty crap… but.. erm, it’s a kids’ film isn’t it?  Sort of thing you’d take your 11 year old to see?

Watty

but.. erm, it’s a kids’ film isn’t it?

No. There were some children there, but they looked bemused.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Oh, I shall watch it again.. that’s a given.

Cinematically I found it didn’t translate well to the big screen, odd thing to say I know. But felt the animation too immediate. Whilst I love the whole stop/go media, his panning travelator scenes fascinating for me it lacked the intimacy of the characters.

I will wait until it’s on Sky, and suspend my in-erodite opinion.

DezB
    Free Member

Just watched the making of on Youtube – the animation does look amazing. Not sure of a whole film of it.

bodgy
    Free Member

Watched it this morning. Absolutely fantastic little movie. Spacious, quietly funny and gently moving. Loved it and can’t wait to watch it again on DVD.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Enjoyed it. Has it moments, but isn’t as good as Wes Anderson’s other stop motion effort Fantastic Mr Fox, better source material I suppose! All the usual whimsy, small details, flat delivery emotional responses and camera movement you expect from a Wes Anderson film.

Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou and Moonrise Kingdom still his best so far for me. Although I haven’t seen Bottle Rocket, The Darjeeling Limited or the Italian racing driver thing.

Was quite funny seeing bemused kids and parents after watching Fantastic Mr Fox, lets just say it didn’t go down well at the cinema I saw it at.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, well.. it ain’t a cartoon is it 🤡🥊

wrightyson
    Free Member

I loved fantastic Mr fox

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

You mean it’s no Pixar 😉 😀

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ wrightyson – Made a change for an American to not bowl up, shot guns in each hand and “**** yeah” nuke a very British tale.

shermer75
    Free Member

Enjoyed it. Has it moments, but isn’t as good as Wes Anderson’s other stop motion effort Fantastic Mr Fox, better source material I suppose!

I enjoyed IoD so much I watched Fantastic Mr Fox pretty much straight after (it’s on Netflix) and it’s also amazing. Great stuff!! 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Really enjoyed it, great film

grtdkad

Just watched it with the missus and our youngest (12).

Slightly bonkers.  Loved it. Really did.  Would certainly watch it again.

yunki
    Free Member

My 8yo enjoyed it very much.

He said he liked the unusual style.

I was a bit panicked that the themes of suicide, genocide and animal testing would be a bit much for him..  to the extent that it ruined my enjoyment of the film.

I’d watch it again for sure

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

We took the kids to wee it last weekend. We all loved it. My 7 year old said the only part he didn’t enjoy was when they spoke in Japanese.

We are a family of Wes Anderson fanboys though

shermer75
    Free Member

My 8yo enjoyed it very much.

He said he liked the unusual style.

Never underestimate how smart kids are! 🙂

convert

Never underestimate how smart kids are!

Or how much can wash over them completly obliviously. Stories within stories and all that. I suspect at 8 it was a funny story about some dogs and a weird animation style.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Isle of Dogs – Wes Anderson…’ is closed to new replies.