Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Islabikes (again – yay! – Rothan for small toddlers?
  • ourmaninthenorth

Toddler North is tiny for her age and so, at 26 months, just about has an inside leg measurement of 29-30cm*.

The Rothan is specified as requiring a minimum 30cm inside leg.

Anyone had much joy with a child on one? Or are there better suited alternative?

*Like measuring the human equivalent of a wriggling eel is easy…. 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

She’ll be fine.
    Stoner Jr was scooting 5-10yrds before his 2nd birthday.
    Make sure they arent wearing baggy gusset trousers/skirts though for a while, makes it harder for them to slide back on the seat even when it’s slammed.
    She’ll be tall enough in a few weeks given the rate they grow anyway 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

She’ll be tall enough in a few weeks [list]months[/list] given the rate they [list]she doesn’t[/list] grow anyway

We’re not blessed with height in this house – 5’7″ and 4’10”. Little thing is never going to be big.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

thick soled wellies help 🙂

puppypower
    Free Member

My son was smaller than recommended height when he got his at 2, he’s a proper shortie. It took him a few months to get the hang of it, partly down to the height issue, but partly that he wasn’t really any good! Though I can’t remember his inside leg measurement but I think they have an overall height measurement and he was significantly under it? So if she’s almost there it will probably be ok. He was also under height for the Cnoc he has now but could ride that straight away.

Personally I would just get it, but I think the Puky ones might come up a bit smaller?

ourmaninthenorth

Being a member of middleclasstrackworld, naturally I want her to have the best irrespective of what she really needs.

Hence the fact I want to buy her a Rothan for Christmas (mainly before any other bugger buys her first bike).

Stoner
    Free Member

You might feel that way as a Junior member of middleclasstrackworld, but for proper 8th Dan level middleclassness you must eschew the notion of kids bikes being presents at all and treat them as necessities. Little Hermione needs a new bike regardless of the timing of Christmas or Birthdays so she should have one 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Little Hermione needs a new bike regardless of the timing of Christmas or Birthdays so she should have one

Quite so. It’s like the Waitrose *Essentials* range. “Oh yah, I mean how can anyone live without houmous daahling?”

tinsy
    Free Member

If she is little & you dont mind getting a really small balance bike & then moving onto a Rothan then the TinyBike is worth a punt.

This pic is seat up a bit on the tinybike, & if modified you can get them lower still & still not have really high bars like the Rothan or Hotwalk have.

2tyred

You might feel that way as a Junior member of middleclasstrackworld, but for proper 8th Dan level middleclassness you must eschew the notion of kids bikes being presents at all and treat them as necessities. Little Hermione needs a new bike regardless of the timing of Christmas or Birthdays so she should have one

That’s the way it works in our house! 😀

I found it took both Tyreds Jr a wee while to get to grips with the idea of actually getting on the Rothan – both liked wheeling it about the house for a while first, while I hopped about frustratedly above them. Bought ours while Tyred Jr (the elder) was still 1.

thorpedo

Balance Bike

I am a Islabike fan and we have a Beinn 20 and a CNOC 14, but I would not spend £130 on a balance bike. Bought one of the above for under £20 – it’s light and durable and an absolute bargain!

ourmaninthenorth

tinsy – cheers for that. what’s it like for rolling along? (solid tyres look like hard work, no?)

lister

Get the Rothan.
    It was fairly big for littlelister#1 when he got it, but we only used inside to get him used to it, so I took the tyres off…hey presto, bike is smaller!
    Only works in carpeted housed though…

ourmaninthenorth

Lister – like that idea!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Islabikes (again – yay! – Rothan for small toddlers?’ is closed to new replies.