Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Islabike Beinn 26 small for 9 year old boy
  • hazel123
    Free Member

This is an update from this topic 🙂

Bike for tall 9 year old

The bike arrived today – his first proper bike and he can’t ride a bike.

At 4pm the boy did some balancing on it outside the house. At 4.30pm he was learning on it on a quiet tarmac track with Dad holding him. At 5pm he was riding up the road on his own.

Here he is at 7pm!

At 9.30pm he is asking to go out on his bike in the dark (not allowed). I think he’s cycling in his sleep right now. He loves the bike. We told him it’s an all purpose bike with mountain bike tyres. He says – it’s a proper mountain bike. Now we just need a new roof on the leaky shed to keep it dry 😕

hazel123
    Free Member

Photos didn’t come out. Here’s the bike

[/url]P8010719 by Eleanor Beckett, on Flickr[/img]

Here he is 3 hours after learning to ride it

[/url]P8010741 by Eleanor Beckett, on Flickr[/img]

aracer
    Free Member

rascott
    Free Member

Yes islabikes are great. Nice and lightweight compared to the BSOs many kids get. My 4 year old was riding his cnoc 16 on xmas day afternoon. (However Now he’s 9 , he’s not that keen on riding. )

His Little bro has inherited the Cnoc but he’s proving slower on the uptake. Depends on the kid I guess.

hazel123
    Free Member

Thanks! I hope the enthusiasm doesn’t wear off too much. It’s something for him to do on a farm that isn’t sitting indoors playing video games!

I read everywhere how light the Islabikes are, but to be honest it doesn’t feel that light when you pick it up. Maybe it’s the bigger tyres making a difference. So if that’s a light bike I hate to think what a heavy bike feels like.

Definitely think we made the right choice – it’s exactly the right size for him and room to grow. He finds the brake levers a bit of a reach though.

There are some trails nearby he wants to try so looks like we will be looking for a couple of adult bikes now to accompany him – but they will need to be cheap and second hand.

daern
    Free Member

I read everywhere how light the Islabikes are, but to be honest it doesn’t feel that light when you pick it up. Maybe it’s the bigger tyres making a difference. So if that’s a light bike I hate to think what a heavy bike feels like.

Head down to Halfords and you’ll soon find out 🙂

The Beinn range are the lightest in their class, so he’s got a nice bike. Hope you get sorted so you can get out and enjoy it with him.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Great stuff 😀

Regarding the brake levers check if they come with reach adjusters (there might be a small allen key screw) as this will allow you to move the lever closer to the bars. My daughter’s Beinn 20 & 24 both had them.

spacey

Cycling in his sleep…

Love that, thanks for sharing!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Islabike Beinn 26 small for 9 year old boy’ is closed to new replies.