Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Is your SO hard on their equipment?
  • 69er
    Free Member

I'm just doing mrs. moreears annual overhaul and the only bits of the bike worth keeping are (honestly) just the frame and the seatpost 😯

The lack of servicing is probably down to me, but her bike is absolutley trashed 🙄 !

Is this usual?

sheldona
    Free Member

mrsniche's bikes need next to no maintance on them, she is a really light on equipment rider unlike me ;-0

damion
    Free Member

Forever fixing Kc's bikes. She goes through rear mech hangers like there's no tomorrow, and how a 5'3", 7.5 st something manages to crack a stinky headtube I'll never know.

She's stopped killing rims though so that a good thing I suppose

Stoner
    Free Member

lack of mechanical sympathy of the fairer sex Im afraid.

Applies to computers, cars, tools and bikes IMO.

😉

glenh
    Free Member

You're right Stoner. I hate being driven around by mrs H as I feel the poor car's pain 😕

Stoner
    Free Member

I find "tutting" at each gear change works wonders 😉

MrAgreeable

My girlfriend's bike has been plagued recently by a creaky bottom bracket and a loose headset. I was about to make some sexist remarks along the lines of Stoner's post above, then I remembered that it was me who insisted on installing said components. 😳

dmiller
    Free Member

You're right Stoner. I hate being driven around by mrs H as I feel the poor car's pain

This is why I am shopping for a clutch now…

GaryLake
    Free Member

I find my wife's bike gets worse than mine because she doesn't ride as often as me in as bad conditions (bare with me). So her bike is always in "ok" condition and it gets ignored in order to maintain my own constantly filthy fleet. Eventually the neglect of hers adds up and it turns out every component is dead when I get round to it!

Junkyard
    Free Member

last for ever that one ride a year seems to leave it NOT worn out in any way shape or form.

sheldona
    Free Member

We've had 2 new female riders recently join us, both their bikes are shonk.

MrAgreeable

I find "tutting" at each gear change works wonders

I'm surprised you're still alive. 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

our garage is damp so all 12 of our bikes need more than the norm. I refuse to fix her airnimal though, i somehow feel dirtied by even looking at it

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Hmmm, thanks for all the sweeping sexist comments gentlemen! 😀

I don't think I've ever wrecked a bike part… but then I am properly OCD about cleaning my bikes (Mr. MM went for months with me cleaning all our bikes, because I knew I did it better!) and I think helping build them (Mr. MM does the pesky BBs and sets up the gears for me) makes me extra precious.

That said, I did once bend my (metal) poplock remote with my thigh 😯 when flying over the handle bars. But then, I'm quite proud of that!

Kudos to Damion's GF – that's really impressive!

Anyway, I wonder if I'm the exception to the rule, or whether I'm typical for girl who actually really likes riding bikes, rather than one who is just dragged around by their hubby…?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Well my GF dosn't break kit, she only weighs 45kg though, so its hardly under undue strain …

nickc

My SO's bike has (at least)a 17 year old drivetrain on it, not certain about the chain, but the cassette, mechs and chainset are, gets used everyday, she won't let me change any of it.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Mr. MM went for months with me cleaning all our bikes, because I knew I did it better!

i'm in love, wanna swap husbands

and the dragged around by husbands type riders are unlikely to be posting on a forum like this!

jojoA1
    Free Member

I love riding my bikes and getting filthy as a result, but I'm a lazy cow and hate cleaning or fixing them and getting filthy from that.

GaryLake
    Free Member

one who is just dragged around by their hubby…?

My wife certainly needs to be dragged out, but not because she doesn't enjoy the riding, more because she's just a weekend, hide under the duvet sort who initially needs to be dragged out even just for breakie!

timwillows
    Free Member

Mine is fine with bikes, but cars…
    "My car is old and its handling is dangerous, we need to replace it!" odd i thought, then checked the tyre pressures, the closest I found was a mere 9psi soft!

stealthcat

My SO tends to replace far more kit than I do, but that's not always because he's broken it or worn it out…

It's got to the point where the lightweight bling he'd like to be able to use gets bought for my hardtail instead; that way he gets to look at it and polish it, but not break it whilst riding.

crazy-legs

My gf has not the slightest inkling about how bikes work. She does clean them (very well actually!) but that's as far as it goes – anything more and she passes it to me or her LBS.
    But she's not hard on kit, her bikes last well.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Lol at sealthcat's SO! Funny, we've got a friend like that – she's pretty disinterested in riding (though annoyingly fit!) and her bike is proper bling!

mrmichaelwright – I'm flattered by the offer but Mr. MM is a pretty amazing guy – he let me by an Orange Five when really we should have spent on the money on getting the car fixed, to name just one wonderful quality! Besides, I rarely clean his bikes now, well not as carefully as mine anyway.

Oh and good point re the dragged around by husbands types but I was more referring to the husband's doing the dragging posting on here! 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

Papadirt's Kona could do with dusting 🙄 . . . hasn't been out at all this year (well maybe one outing to the shops). Having seen the Orange MIII thread though I wonder if he'd notice if I borrowed a few bits and pieces (that'll be everything except the frame then 😉 ).

aracer
    Free Member

For those who maintain OH's bike themselves, is part of the problem that any little niggle on your own bike gets tended to, along with more regular routine maintenance, whilst OH ignores little things until they get worse, and you don't notice it needs a bit of a service in the same way? I know that's the problem I have 😳

d4
    Free Member

I used to go out with a rower, very heavy on drivetrains. Went everywhere in the biggest gear she could push and apparently deaf to the sound of crying components. Didn't work out as she was quicker than me.

rolfharris
    Free Member

All the girls I ride with are super sensitive to any issues- tiny gear issues, imaginary tyre issues, wierd rattles etc. Anything!

Although the girl I live with has a mongoose DH bike and it's a quivering wreck- it's having a HUGE service tomorrow (by me).

Tracey

I clean and help maintain all our bikes

Tracey

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Good for you Tracey. I actualy really enjoy maintaining and cleaning bikes, I find it kind of theraputic… and to think, I used to mock my Dad for cleaning his car 😳

Oh and Mamadirt – I'm sure he wouldn't notice! Not til you've had some fun anyway 😉

aracer
    Free Member

think, I used to mock my Dad for cleaning his car

Sounds fair – honestly can't remember the last time I washed my car (it's possible I may have never washed my current car, having owned it 9 years!)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Is your SO hard on their equipment?’ is closed to new replies.