Is your partner also your best friend?

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Is your partner also your best friend?
  • Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

binners +1

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon mattbee
    Subscriber

Yeah, I guess she is.

My best friend treated me to a business class flight to America
    My partner forks out for the 2-4-1 pizza on Orange Wednesdays

I believe I am entitled to mush, considering after nearly 10 years together we married on Sunday.

We had a candle lit during the service that read.

“Today I married my best friend, the one I laugh with, live for, dream with, love”

It was a little soppy, but my ‘husband’ (wow!) even said it was lovely too!

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

*THWACK !

That’s on the back of your head.

wrecker

I take my partner to bed. I take my best friend for a walk. 😀

She’s my closest friend without doubt.

Best mate is reserved for…erm well, my best mate!

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I’m sorry but if you can use the same type of terminology and vitriolic and, at times, frankly sickening abuse and baseless,libelous accusations about perverted and deviant sexual practices to your missus, as you do to your best mate, then there’s something wrong with one of those relationships

Which one is up to you to decide

Peyote

Actually Binners does have a point there. My Missus would be quite upset if I called her some of the stuff I’ve called my mates in the past, even in jest!

The Greeks have about five/six different words for “Love” including the good old Eros and the love for your parents, there’s also brotherley love (oi, stop sniggering at the back!). Same is true of frinedship in my book, there’s a few different types.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

No. She is the person I am closest to and most comfortable with but ultimately my best mate is, well, my best mate. Different roles in life and so different people.

peterfile

I wonder if those who consider their partner to be their “best” friend don’t actually have any other really close friends because they’ve spent all their time with their partner.

My partner is not my best friend. My best friend holds that dubious honour.

Two completely different roles which, if swapped, would lead to some rather unpleasant results!

Getting drunk a bottle of Talisker whilst on a Beverly Hills golf course at Xmas, getting thrown off after hitting 95 in the front 9 and almost writing off the golf buggy into a bunker (plus various other on course “incidents”), then having to run away after refusing to leave the club bar which resulted in security being called and us hiding in nearby bushes, trying desperately to stifle our laughter as we hid waiting for our cab to arrive at “the third tree from the entrance to the golf club” = My best mate.

Lying on a hammock on beautiful evening, admiring the stars and listening to waves lapping at the shore, keeping the coolness of the gentle breeze at bay by wrapping ourselves around each other = My partner.

Just wouldn’t be the same mixing those roles up.

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

Dunno, best friend has all sorts of connotations/baggage, my mrs is definitely my best drinking buddy I know that.

I wonder if those who consider their partner to be their “best” friend don’t actually have any other really close friends because they’ve spent all their time with their partner

may have a point, dunno

yunki

Getting drunk a bottle of Talisker whilst on a Beverly Hills golf course at Xmas, getting thrown off after hitting 95 in the front 9 and almost writing off the golf buggy into a bunker (plus various other on course “incidents”), then having to run away after refusing to leave the club bar which resulted in security being called and us hiding in nearby bushes, trying desperately to stifle our laughter as we hid waiting for our cab to arrive at “the third tree from the entrance to the golf club” = My best mate.

Lying on a hammock on beautiful evening, admiring the stars and listening to waves lapping at the shore, keeping the coolness of the gentle breeze at bay by wrapping ourselves around each other = My partner.

you should be doing all of those things with your partner, or otherwise what sort of misogynistic ideologies are you peddling to your children..?

scratch that.. the fact that you’re indulging in golf, drunk in Beverly Hills or otherwise, would indicate that misogyny is only the tip of a very nasty iceberg..

She’s my ‘best’and only friend. I can live with that.

Peyote

you should be doing all of those things with your partner, or otherwise what sort of misogynistic ideologies are you peddling to your children..?

scratch that.. the fact that you’re indulging in golf, drunk in Beverly Hills or otherwise, would indicate that misogyny is only the tip of a very nasty iceberg..

Interesting, I reread the post you’re referring to wondering where the misogyny came in and noted that there was no reference to the gender of either the poster, the partner or the best friend!

Edited to add – I guess the poster could be male from their username, but even in Internetland that’s only one option!

peterfile

She’s my ‘best’and only friend. I can live with that.

my comment wasn’t intended in a negative/derogotary way, just that I’ve seen many friends from years gone by who have dedicated themselves almost exclusively to their partners, which results in the breakdown of how close they were to other friends around them.

Meaning the “my partner is also my best friend” is sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

peterfile

Interesting, I reread the post you’re referring to wondering where the misogyny came in and noted that there was no reference to the gender of either the poster, the partner or the best friend!

Indeed 🙂

There are some moments in life that just feel more appropriate to share with my best friend, and other with my partner. Nothing to do with sex/gender or anything other than them just being two different types of relationship to me.

yunki

Indeed

Touché. 🙂

my comment wasn’t intended in a negative/derogotary way, just that I’ve seen many friends from years gone by who have dedicated themselves almost exclusively to their partners, which results in the breakdown of how close they were to other friends around them.

Meaning the “my partner is also my best friend” is sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Quite, and I agree with you. It’s happened that way for me I’d say, but I’m ok with it after 12 years.

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

Yes she is.

JulianA
    hels

I opened this thread because I had a bit much for dinner and was hoping for a good vom, things were looking good on the first page. But Binners and Peterfile kind of ruined it with their lack of greeting card prose sentimentality. The two roles are mutually exclusive. If they are the same person, you need to get out more and make some new friends.

All this thread needs now is Hora chiming in to say that they are also both definitely stepping out on you anyway, probably with each other, and it will be complete.

yunki

We tolerate each other, barely

druidh

Absolutely.

Premier Icon xherbivorex
    Subscriber

the thing i mostly dislike about threads such as this is that it shows the extent to which many of you love to paas judgement on the way others choose to live.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Isn’t that the whole point of the internet? Well, apart from the pron obviously? 😉

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

herbivore pretty much every thread has some judgmental people in it, see the handbags/pissing up the wall contest on the big ring thread. The number of chain rings you run isn’t exactly a lifestyle choice is it?

this one’s just a bit more emotive

xherbivorex – Member

the thing i mostly dislike about threads such as this is that it shows the extent to which many of you love to paas judgement on the way others choose to live.
    Not to mention being an excellent opportunity to pass judgement on those you accuse of passing judgement because they don’t choose the same moral ground as you.

To reset the thread back on course, here’s a picture of a kitten

hels

How does that work anyway ? When you express your love to you have to reference them in a pal-y fashion too ?

For example, what do you write on the bathroom mirror ?

“I Wub U, Matey”

Sparing partner.

ericemel

Damn right

She took me to the theatre and I enjoyed it
    I took her wild camping on Dartmoor she enjoyed it

nuff said

peterfile

edit: photo thingy broken 🙁

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Is your partner also your best friend?’ is closed to new replies.