Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Is Woburn the best riding near Stevenage?
  • sambino
    Free Member

I’m going to stay with some friends in Stevenage, who have just bought bikes on the cycle to work scheme, and want to take them out and show them a good time. I have no local knowledge as I live in Brighton. Is there anywhere up that way that’s good fun and relatively easy to find your way around unguided? Aston Hill looks a bit downhilly for the relative beginners, so Woburn seems like a good choice.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Chicksands – usually enough to give n00bs a taste & considerable closer. As is:
    Broxbourne and
    1000 miles of bridleways between Stevenage and Luton – http://tinyurl.com/7cjtbkg

plus there is a few little play areas just south of stevenage nr. Mardley Heath,

Depends what you want to take them too.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Second Chicksands for beginners.

lucien

1000 miles of bridleways between Stevenage and Luton.

Just checked the map – really? Are you sure?

sambino
    Free Member

They are both quite fit and adventurous so I’m not too worried about scaring them off, and I’d like to have a good days riding as well. Chicksands might be a good option. Cheers

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Just checked the map – really? Are you sure?

yup.
    Been riding them for 7yrs+. They reach all the way to St Albans. Trust me, they are there. there are even a few good climbs, one good decent.
    TBH I’d only venture out there once the trails are dry – it’s all a bit shit in the wet

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Sambino> if you want a guided ride you can hook up with:
    sillygrin.co.uk – see where they are riding, you might get techie or XC, woburn, chicky, broxbourne or something else (n00b xc up to ‘playing in bikeparks’)
    cyclone bike club in woburn for XC (‘n00b plus’)
    OTT for bridleways north of St Albans (‘n00b’ level).

or there are a few other ‘locals’ round here (Jedi, might teach you a few tricks if you want coaching 😉 )
    plus yours truly – but I only guide for beer.

BTW: Don’t be tempted to ride laps of Fairlands Valley or use the St Evanage cycle ways unless you are tooled up & in groups of 5 or more 😉

br
    Free Member

A riding buddy who works in Stevenage off-roads’ it home to North London – so must be some.

Plus Epping, but I think you need a guide.

jedi

there’s tons of riding 🙂

senorj

I’m the one with the off road commute to/from North London.
    Perfect ride for beginners -depending on fitness -You could take them
    Knebworth – Nupp end- , Mardley woods – Tewin – Bramfield woods. and back to Stevenage. Look on a map for masses of bways and cheek connected by the odd mile of road.
    If they are fit then it’s very easy to get to Hertford and Broxbourne woods.(take a compass).
    You could come back along the canal to hertford and pick up the Bramfield road (v.quiet) back to Stevenage.
    If they are fairly fit – take them down the canal to Waltham Abbey & you aren’t far from Epping.

As jedi said – there’s tons of riding – I find new bits all the time.
    go explore.
    Hertfordshire is blooming lovely (not a local!)

DrRSwank
    Free Member

So does anyone local fancy organising a ride as I’m in a similar position to the OP?

Whilst there is an impressive bridleway network in the area I’ve struggled to find anything good (and/or long) in terms of singletrack. I’ve spent a fair bit of time in both Bramfield and Mardley woods and really not found much.

Help…….

Rubber-Duck

Where are you situated Mr S ? I am about to issue my Tuesday evening ride invitation for a couple of hours around Broxbourne and surrounding trails. We ride three times a week around Hertford, Stevenage, St Albsns, Epping and all of the other locations in Hertfordshire already mentioned on this thread. If you or anyone else want to join us or just learn some new trail let me know.

Ed

bullheart
    Free Member

Getting practice in before being Jedi’ed are you?

Sly buggers…

DrRSwank
    Free Member

RubberDuck – I’m in Stevenage itself – well to the south of Stevenage really – I prefer to tell people I’m on the border of Knebworth……

I’d definitely be up for a ride as I am keen to find some better places to ride.

senorj

DrRS – re singletrack there is nothing “long” that I’ve found either.
    But string bits together and its all good…. 😀
    I ‘ll show you what i know but i fear you may be disappointed if you want “rad” – only xc bimbling here.
    I’m commuting this weekend but available in the mornings next week if that suits……though may be available late morning Sunday.. tbc..
    I would take rubber ducks invitation to learn broxbourne etc ….
    might be tempted myself if my shifts allow…..

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Senorj – “Rad” isn’t the main desire. As a for instance, on Sunday I bimbled out from the south of Stevenage, up past the crem, then picked up some singletrack from the top of Datchworth to Bramfield. Now in there I’ve found two bits of singletrack – that’s all. Then took the road across towards Bulls Green(?) and then went down a nice track towards Mardley before going back home via Old Knebworth Road.

It was a nice ride – but it’s all bridleway (or quiet road) bashing and it’d be nice to have some singletrack to link the bridleways together.

Anymore rides that Sunday and I’ll be selling my FS bike and buying a rigid 29er…..

hammerite
    Free Member

There’s enough in Chicksands to keep you amused for a couple of hours if you’ve never been before.

Only 30 mins drive from Stevenage. Although you could probably ride there.

jedi

i’m off from tewin tonight with my daughter for an hour or so. lots of cheeky 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

Chicksands is fine if you want 4x, 2x and jumps.

If you want to ride for several hours go to Woburn. You can ride round there for 3hrs XC and then spend some time at the jump/DH spot.

Its pretty much got everything in a small area and does not suffer from mud much.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Master Jedi – I’d love to hook up but I’ve plans for tonight (involving beer).

Email is in the profile if you’re going again at any point – but – would I need lights? (cos I don’t have any).

It’d be nice to see you again anyway.

And Chicksands is great (agreed) and I ride Woburn quite a lot anyway. I’d just like somewhere in easier reach (and preferably on bike). I know – I want the moon on a stick……

Rubber-Duck

Tony (jedi) and I have ridden with largely the same group of riders, off and on, and all of the same trails throughout East Hertfordshire over the years. (with the exception of Herts Shore) so we would probably reveal the same trails to whoever comes for a ride. Feel free to mail me if you want to catch up for a ride. Usually do Tuesday evening and Thursday evening in the week and much longer rides on Sunday morning.

Ed

hammerite
    Free Member

Trimix – if you wander outside the confines of the bike park at Chicksands there’s still enough to ride to keep you going for a couple of hours.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Thanks RubberDuck – I’ve emailed you.

jedi

drswank, ygm 🙂

enfht
    Free Member

There’s a big group who ride all the best Broxbourne Woods trails IN THE WRONG DIRECTION 😀 so beware!

TheFopster
    Free Member

Used to ride from Oaklands – just south of Stevenage. Had an easy 12 mile route with almost no roads and a few fun bits along the way including mardley heath which has some nice short but fun loops I used for messing about. Can’t find GPX or would post something but Oaklands/Digswell/Tewin/HarmerGreen/Mardley Heath sort of loop would be fun to string together!

sambino
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice. We’ve got a date with Jedi on the Saturday, which is why we’ll be up there with bikes, so we can get some tips then.

Mark – We’ll be practicing after we’ve been Jedi’ed

senorj

rubber duck ygm.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Is Woburn the best riding near Stevenage?’ is closed to new replies.