Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Is whatsapp killing my Nexus phone?
  • hora
    Free Member

The phone has always restarted itself whenever it feels like and in the middle of important calls.

Yesterday the phone was on a continual restart loop so I followed a topic advice and wiped my phone with a factory reset.

I’ve narrowed it down to WhatsApp. It can’t be anything else?

jimmy

A pal stopped using whatsapp this year and when asked why he said it was killing his phone. So you might be right. He’s not the type to make wild assumptions either.

Cougar

I’ve narrowed it down to WhatsApp. It can’t be anything else?

I’m not sure what else we can add to that.

nickc

nexus and whatsapp playing nicely on mine

hora
    Free Member

Best app by a longshot too. Typical. Any patched or cures? Is it my latest Google android download that’s causing the incompatibity? When reinstalling I noticed WhatsApp requests alot of wide reaching permissions including Gmail etc. Possibly my operating system detects it’s system breadth and treats it as a bug?

cp

never had a problem with WhatsApp across several Nexus and other Android based phones. Are you definitely sure it’s WhatsApp causing the problem?

How recent was your android update and did the problems start straight away after that?

hora
    Free Member

My phone’s running the latest Android patch (last checked today). We get the first eperiemental ‘fixes’ don’t we

seosamh77
    Free Member

Uninstall Whatsapp to get a definitive answer. I’d doubt it personally.

BoardinBob

I’ve narrowed it down to WhatsApp. It can’t be anything else

I mentioned this the other day, but the way it stores data is insane (on android at least)

If you’re on Android, browse to the WhatsApp folders. In there you’ll discover that if you were to receive lets say a funny picture in one conversation, it saves the original version you received. Then lets say you send that pic to 10 different people, it saves 10 more copies of the picture. Ridiculous use of memory and has to drain resources on the phone. Clearing the cache doesn’t work and browsing to your whatsapp gallery in your normal photo gallery and deleting the content wont work either. You need to browse to the actual whatsapp folder via file manager and you’ll see all the crap in there.

retro83
    Free Member

What leads you to that conclusion? It could be (for example) OS bug, Google gApps bug, firmware bug, hardware fault, filesystem corruption, etc etc.

WhatsApp has 700m Android users, if there was a bug that serious, it would be reported all over XDA, /r/android and that sort of place.

Also whos advice was it to wipe the phone? That should be a last resort, now we have no way of looking at the logs to understand what was going on.

hora
    Free Member

It was the last resort.

I managed to volume down/power button then scroll DOS like menu eventually as it still restarted throughout me attempting that. Two of those and it still crashed. So this morning I factory resetted. That settled everything. Soooo. Lunchtime I reload WhatsApp and…bingo it started again.

I’m on the very latest Android security update so it is possible. Those Android users who get the latest update first may experience this. That’s why updates happen….to iron out bugs.

sniff
    Free Member

My 5 started doing this. Turned out it was dirt in the on/off button so it gets stuck in the in position – just like when you want to power off. Then when if it’s stuck in the on etc etc.

Google for a fix and it’s smack it as hard as you can/dare right on the button. Worked for a while but then I dropped it.

Replaced with a 6p, faultless.

retro83
    Free Member

So it was nothing to do with whatsapp or the OS then, since it crashed when neither were running.

Given what sniff has posted, I’m going with hardware fault.

hora
    Free Member

Sniff just did that ..

hora
    Free Member

Sniff was right. Cheers.

Cougar

That’s handy to know.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Is whatsapp killing my Nexus phone?’ is closed to new replies.