Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Is Uncle John ever coming back?
  • shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve been looking few a new commuter frame (I don’t really need one but that’s not stopping me, obvs) and the Uncle John would have been perfect: lightweight, durable, cheap and takes disc brakes and a 135mm hub for my Alfine. Is it ever coming back? Or is there an alternative out there?

cp

Pretty much any disc compatible cx frame. Or planet x London road. They’re doing frame set package deals at the moment.

shermer75
    Free Member

Pretty much any disc compatible cx frame

There’s a lot out there but I haven’t found one that’s close to the same price yet (£300).

I’m pretty sure the London Road has a 130mm back end, so squeezing in my Alfine hub will always be an annoying hassle

spawnofyorkshire

Think the only disc frames with 130mm spacing are super top end jobbies like the spesh tarmac.
    London road does look like the successor to uncle John as a commuter with the xls and dirty disco as the cyclo-x side of things.
    London road does look good for what you need

ianfitz
    Free Member

Kaffenback? Mine fits 135 rear hubs like it was designed and built to fit them…

shermer75
    Free Member

Spawnofyorkshire, it’s a 135mm back end that I need

Ianfitz, Kaffenback hey? Hmm, they do look lovely..

rudyard197
    Free Member

Pretty sure the rear is 135mm on the London Road, have a frame not built up yet that I have the wheels for.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Are Evans still selling Arkrose frames for £100?

swampi
    Free Member

London road is 135. I have been riding one for ages..great bikes

shermer75
    Free Member

That London Road looks perfect then. It looks like it takes an internal headset, as that about right?

swampi
    Free Member

yes fsa no 42/c40 tapered headset

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Anyone know if a headset is included in the frame and fork deal for the London Road?

shermer75
    Free Member

shortbread_fanylion – Member
    Anyone know if a headset is included in the frame and fork deal for the London Road?

I asked them about that today, apparently not but they’ll fit one for a tenner (plus the cost of the headset)

shermer75
    Free Member

swampi – Member
    yes fsa no 42/c40 tapered headset

Does it have to be an FSA? It would be nice to have a choice…

shermer75
    Free Member

Are Evans still selling Arkrose frames for £100?

Yes, but only in XL and doesn’t include a fork (fair enough for that price!)

paul4stones

I have the last red UJ frame in my loft. But then he was my UJ too and I’m a sentimental old fool 🙂

rudyard197
    Free Member

Don’t pay to have the headset “fitted”, it just sits in the frame so no need to press in. I didn’t find a cheaper alternative headset. I also needed to buy the barrel adjusters for the gears and the plastic thingie that sits on the bottom the frame to guide the gear cables.

shermer75
    Free Member

Don’t pay to have the headset “fitted”, it just sits in the frame so no need to press in. I didn’t find a cheaper alternative headset. I also needed to buy the barrel adjusters for the gears and the plastic thingie that sits on the bottom the frame to guide the gear cables.

This is all excellent info! Are the logos stickers or painted on? I like my commuter bike to look as anonymous as possible…

cp

On one had the carbon cap version of the headset going for 30 quid fort ages but they finally seem to bed out of stock. That’s the only downside really – the expensive headset.

BigJohn

Does it come with a crown race?

cp

the headset does yes

swampi
    Free Member

Logo’s are underneath the paint…the headsets are not cheapo..the superstar tapered one also fitted

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Is Uncle John ever coming back?’ is closed to new replies.