is Trek the new Specialized, big bully strikes again?

Home Forum Bike Forum is Trek the new Specialized, big bully strikes again?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • is Trek the new Specialized, big bully strikes again?
  • Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

http://www.singltrekpodsmrkem.cz/trek-is-being-roubaix-for-trails-in-the-czech-republic/?lang=en

Those trademarks have come under attack from TREK corporation that argued that they have pre-existing rights for the word “trek” in Singltrek and that there is a high risk of confusion among customers. TREK minded especially the fact that the trademark applied to bikes and equipment as well. While Singltrek team has no ambition to produce such product they did want to protect their brand from being hijacked by someone who would like to use its equity by sticking it on bikes and cycle clothing. The argument mediated by Singltrek to TREK counsel that by attacking the Singltrek trademark TREK actually makes Singltrek branded bikes produced by someone more likely to happen was not heard. Additionally TREK has come with an argument that since there is a likelihood of confusion they fear litigation for damage from user that will get injured on Singltrek trails.

PeterPoddy

Dragging stuff up like this was inevitable right now, wasn’t it? Yawn.
    And there’s noting like a ‘Daily Mail headline’ either 🙂

IanMunro

Hmm Not too sure what to make of this one. The people developing the trails trying to trademark the term “Singltrek” (presumably the Czech version of the term Singletrack) isn’t something I really agree with in the first place.

It also gets slightly odd when on looking at the Trek sponsored centre as it has the text –
    “The non-profit organization Singltrek pod Smrkem o.p.s. handles the operation and maintenance of the trails and provided financial support for our bike center.”

http://www.trek-centrum.cz/about-the-trails/s-69

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Maybe other small companies now have the chance to speak out safe from the lawyer $$ of the big boys?

You still working for a Trek dealer PP?

PeterPoddy

You still working for a Trek dealer PP?

Today yes. On Monday I’ll be in a Spesh dealer! 🙂

bol

I think Trek are probably being the same old Trek. Maybe the Specialized thing will stop them being dicks as well, but they’ve got a grand tradition of dickishness from what I can tell.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘is Trek the new Specialized, big bully strikes again?’ is closed to new replies.