• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • IS to PM front calliper confusion – help needed
  • PJay
    Free Member

The ongoing saga of fitting my Singular Swift forks (to my Swift) continues …

The Swift for has an IS mount and I’ve orders an IS to PM adapter for a 180mm rotor (as fitted) the caliper (SLX) is coming straight of my PM carbon forks that the Swifts are replacing.

The adapter is fitted but now I find that the caliper bolts used to fit the caliper to the PM forks are now way too long.

Have I got the wrong adapter? The adapter is a Shimano SM-MA and marked F (Front), 180mm & P/S.

Help appreciated please so I can have a ride!

Northwind

If I’m following you right it’s just the post mount (ie bolts going through caliper and into adaptor) bolts that are too long? If so- that happens, don’t worry about it, some adaptors are very thick, some have open holes, the formula ones I like need really short bolts compared to most others. Just find some shorter M6 bolts

(there was a thread on Bikeradar where someone managed to wreck theirbrand new forks by using an over-long PM bolt and pushing the bolt right through the fork lower)

PJay
    Free Member

Thanks I might try that.

I bought this adapter – Shimano Mount Adaptor Front Post to IS Item Number sku54049 – from Chain Reaction and assumed that it mean Post Mount calliper to IS mount (not IS calliper to PM fork); I hope I’ve got the right one!

Northwind

I’m not seeing your SKU but Front Post To IS should be Post caliper to IS fork.

Yours I expect should be the middle of the three?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-mount-adaptor-front-post-to-is/rp-prod13743

There are some weird “nearly the same” fork options like old boxxers, but assuming it’s a standard IS that ought to be the right one for 180mm.

Shimano ones usually come with the bolts

PJay
    Free Member

Thanks for that Northwind, if I add the 180mm one to the basket it shows sku54049, which is the one I bought. It came with 2 bolts which I’ve used to attach the adapter to the IS mount.

I’ve found some old M6 bolts that’ll do the trick so hopefully it’ll work out.

PJay
    Free Member

That seems to have worked. Despite finding a bolt about 1/3 of the length of the original top bolt, I’ve still got about 5mm protruding for the top bolt, but it was the shortest I could find that engaged all the threads (the next shortest didn’t). It looks a bit ‘workman like’ but does the job for now.

The new Shimano adapter looks very different from an old Shimano adapter I have (from 12-15 years ago) that’s also IS to PM calliper/180mm rotor.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘IS to PM front calliper confusion – help needed’ is closed to new replies.