• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Is three sets of carbon wheels excessive?
  • xcretro
    Free Member

I currently have 2 sets of carbon wheels, a set of dt swiss xrc1250’s with bont xr muds on them. A set of ritchey wcs carbon wheels with bont xr0’s on them and am kind of thinking that with the changeable weather and trail conditions I really need a third set with some inbetween tyres on. Something like bont xr2.

I really don’t want to have to start changing tyres before a ride so Is a third set excessive really? What intermediate tyres would you recommend? Oh and what carbon wheels? Got to be xc race light between 1200g and 1400g the set. Oh and 26″

Cheers

turboferret

I have 3 sets of carbon wheels for road/tri – 90mm, 50mm and an 80/disc combo, so I reckon the more the merrier 😀

Cheers, Rich

njee20
    Free Member

If you sold all of those you could buy a 29er though…!

If you want a cheap set then A2Z hubs with Light Bicycle rims will be c1350 and about £450 at a guess, which is the cheapest you’ll get new, plus cassette and rotors.

I’d not bother. Changing tyres will be just as easy IMO.

mattbee

So, rather than change tyres or just use the ones that are fitted to one of 2 sets you already own you wasn’t more wheels?
    You lazy profligate git. 😉

spooky_b329

I only change tyres for the seasons, it would be never ending otherwise!

I thought I was being excessive justifying a second set of tubeless wheels to go on my tubed singlespeed. Then we won’t have any tubed mtbs left and I can chuck out/sell a whole crate load of tyres that aren’t up to going tubeless, and get rid of about 4 wheels.

solarider
    Free Member

I have 3 sets of ENVE 29 XC, so in my opinion, no.

1 set of 28 hole tubular on Tune hubs for the road bike.

1 set of 32 hole clincher on Tune rear and SON dynamo front for the winter bike.

1 set of 32 hole clincher on Chris King R45s for the cross bike.

They aren’t particularly interchangeable since one set is tubular, 1 set has a dynamo front and the other set is standard. 1 set has 25mm road tubulars, 1 set has 30mm road clinchers and 1 has 34mm cyclocross clinchers.

I am just building up a single speed 29er, and have thought about another set, but in the end went for Stan’s Crests instead.

Life is short. Buy what you want and enjoy!

Plenty of good deals about on 26″ right now. The Fulcrums are particularly good value.

rickon
    Free Member

I just run a single set of Flow Ex with Hans Damfs on.

If youve got the money to waste and youre proper elite XC, so tyre choice is really going to make a difference to your life on damp days. Then go for it.

You’ll need rotors too though. And a cassette.

grum
    Free Member

I know it’s all relative, but some people have just got too much money – **** ridiculous.

Superficial
    Free Member

Worst “I have two more carbon wheel sets than the average punter” thread ever.

Madness IMO. Investing in 26″ carbon is going to lose you lots of money.

Rorschach
    Free Member

As long as you keep ‘winning’ it’s fine.

njee20
    Free Member

I have 3 sets of ENVE 29 XC, so in my opinion, no.

As you say though, they’re entirely different, makes far more sense than 3 sets for one bike, just to avoid changing tyres!

chakaping
    Free Member

You couldn’t make it up.

Or maybe you could.

spooky_b329

I only have one saddle/post for my two bikes…I could buy a second Gravity Dropper but I don’t think I could justify the cost when I bought the first as a non-remote so I could easily swap it between my two bikes.

jam-bo

If you can afford it then no, but why go to the bother of changing wheels when you could just have three bikes built up the same but with different tyres on.

chestrockwell

To most people….. Yes.

If you can afford it and want them….. No.

boxfish
    Free Member

Madness IMO. Investing in 26″ carbon is going to lose you lots of money.

Only if you plan to sell them on. Plus, not everyone is seduced by bigger wheels. None of my riding group have felt the need to move to 650b or 29er.

I build my own wheels, so as long as 26″ rims are available, it’s all good.

njee20
    Free Member

OP is interesting in XC racing, where 26″ is firmly dead, that has the potential advantage of cheap 26″ race kit being available, although there’s less around than there was.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Judging by the OP’s tyre choices I’d say he hasn’t a clue. My advice would be to forget changing tyres and go and do hill reps until he pukes.
    Sorry xcretro, but really?

xcretro
    Free Member

Thanks for the mixed replies I think. Not very helpful though. Oooh njee 26 will never die! Lol. Depends if xc race courses are designed more for 29 wheels in the future.

vdubber67
    Free Member

This thread may just be the one that stops me ever looking on this side of the forum ever again.

br
    Free Member

I really don’t want to have to start changing tyres before a ride so Is a third set excessive really? What intermediate tyres would you recommend? Oh and what carbon wheels? Got to be xc race light between 1200g and 1400g the set. Oh and 26″

I’m confused; why do they need to be ‘race light’, if you are only going for a ride?

I’ve 3-4 sets of wheels, and one of the reasons why I’m still on 26 🙂 And would have a carbon set but when I was buying/looking 3 years ago they were very limited and restricted for hubs – so bought 2 sets of Hope/Crests instead.

Also, judging by the British XC competitors I saw at a recent event, few if any are still on 26.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Is three sets of carbon wheels excessive?’ is closed to new replies.