Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Is this tyre totally knackered?
  • debaser

Punctured/slashed sidewall on Friday night. Put in a new tube and a patch on the inside of the tyre in the hope that would hold it together… that hasn;t worked.

It’s a 35c Small Block 8 and the cut is jut over a centimetre long. Only put them on a couple of weeks ago, so slightly loathe to bin it so soon 😥

Better boot, stich or ditch? Any advice?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I stuck a zefel tyre liner when i did something similar, worked fine

bspoked
    Free Member

I stitched a similar sized tear in my rear high roller at the weekend with dental floss. Then stuck a couple of bandaids in the inside as I didn’t have any patches. It lasted about 80% of Llandegla black loop before it pinch flatted.

godzilla
    Free Member

I’ve seen worse for sale in the classifieds.

cynic-al
    Free Member

superglue + stitch it + tubeless patch or something else that won’t stretch underneath.

Northwind

Aye, I’d sew it up and patch it

debaser

Thanks for the advice folks.

I’ll have a go with some linen thread, superglue and a non stretchy boot material. Might be really paranoid and switch it over to the rear wheel.

The liners might be a good idea too, since they don’t seem to be the most puncture proof tyres I’ve ever tried.

I’ve seen worse for sale in the classifieds.

😀

coopersport1
    Free Member

Bin it, shit happens, rather that than let it ruin another ride because your shonky repair effort gives it.
    Trail side repairs to get you home not to get you out on the next ride in my opion.

Northwind

You’re using a smallblock on the front? I like you, you’re bold.

The sidewalls are a little exposed on the SB, but liners won’t help that… Like most Kendas they’re not really a tyre for anyone that’s constantly scraping rocks.

debaser

Heard the smallblock described as ‘predictable’ recently. 😀

Utterly terrifying in the wet, but it’s on my commuter so probably only going offroad in the dry when I fancy an extended journey home from work.

Here’s my shonky repair effort. Superglue + linen thread + milk carton boot.

z1ppy

Looks good, a very neat repair, well done.

thomthumb
    Free Member

nice work. 35c sb8 is a great tyre. seem good in the mud too weirdly; must be the tall narrow profile.

Speshpaul

better than some of the stitching i have on my body 😀

Super glue, stitching a milk bottle boot, job jobbed

TheSanityAssassin

Ideal tyre for cynic-al’s Frankenbike…..

weeksy

LOL seriously ? you people do that ?

Repair tyres like that ?

Stoner
    Free Member

have repaired a rubbish michelin years ago with dental floss. no problem.

ojom
    Free Member

Like it.

You just earned some Man Points. These can be redeemed in the Bridge Inn at Ratho or the Cask and Barrell.

nick3216
    Free Member

Small Block 8

there’s reason enough to bin it. never ridden a tyre with so little lateral grip.

skywalker
    Free Member

Stop being such a tight ass and buy another one?

I give that 5 miles max.

richc
    Free Member

won’t the thread wear through as it you use it?

Personally, I would bin it and get another as 10 mile walks home in the driving rain ruin my day (been there done that).

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Is this tyre totally knackered?’ is closed to new replies.