Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Is this the end for SAAB?
  • aP
    Free Member
    neilforrow

good luck to them…

at least they wont be rebadged vectras any more.

aP
    Free Member

No, they’ll be rebadged Insignias instead. Interesting that the 9-5 is built in the Opel factory in Rüsselsheim.

nasher
    Free Member

I would rather have a car known as a cheap koenisegg than an expenisve vauxhall any day.

Wonder if the new breed of Saabs will have a hint of the supercar?

owenfackrell
    Free Member

The 95 was never a rebadge/reworked vectra thats the 93 the 95 has the underpinings of a fiat from a long time back.
    Having driven a saab i hope that they keep going as they are a nicer alternative than the 3 big german manufactures.

geoffj

Had a 900 which I loved. Would have got a 9-5 Estate, but Mrs J didn’t get on with the quirks. I’d have another one tomorrow.

chewkw
    Free Member

Sold to Koenigsegg!!! I can see very fast cars coming …

gingerflash

I love mine too, though it’ll probably have to go soon.

93 Aero turbo.

tankslapper
    Free Member

SAAB rocks

Learned to drive in my fathers old 900 back in the 80’s have had a succession of 900’s and a 93 Sportwagen – tough as old boots and reliable to. Hated what GM did to the brand but the Swedes seemed to cling to some of the older/better stuff

Now back in a 1998 SAAB 900 – new house the 93 had to go 🙁 – and it still retains the ‘quirks’ I love about the marque – keys can not be removed from the ignition (located between the two front seats) until the car is locked in reverse, uber heavy, chronic understeer,built like a brick sh1t house.

DezB
    Free Member

Hopefully the new 93 Estates will be cheap before my 93 dies then.

withersea
    Free Member

gingerflash nice motor don’t let it go and good to see that saab has a future, it would be a shame to see what was an innovative company go the wall (I admit it wasn’t the same saab of old when it was in GM)

maybe we’ll see a diesel saab/koneg at le mans…

knottie8
    Free Member

as a warranty manager making claims to saab , I hope they keep going one way or another. If general motors hadnt stepped in all those years ago saab would have gone to the wall years ago. They sold 93000 cars last year , they wont do that without GM/opels help rebadging.

aP
    Free Member

How many months before it gets sold on to Brilliance or Nanjing Auto?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My 9-3 and 9-5 were superb motors. Safe feeling, comfy, quick cruisy type cars.

I can see koenisegg doing wonders with Saab. Hope they do it soon though as I’m after a new motor next year.

9-5’s way too long in the tooth now (I had one 10 years ago…), 9-3’s just not SAAB enough…..Dam you GM!

beanum

There was an article in EVO magazine a year or so ago where they visited the Koenigsegg factory and they were working on a fairly revolutionary engine prototype…
    I wonder if this will be a way for them to test it in the real world..?

I’m having trouble finding any more info via Google unfortunately..

Personally I’m hoping they make the Saab Aero-X concept they showed at Geneva a couple of years ago…

Hairychested
    Free Member

Are Saabs economical? Diesel, that is.

willard

Yup. My dad had one for a few years (9-3 TiD) and it used to turn out over 50 on long runs. Quite a bt of poke too.

I’m seriously thinking of a 9-3 TiD estate as m next car. They are cheap and economical and, if they are just Vectras, spares will be easy to find

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My second ever car was one of these – a white 1989 Saab 900 8V Turbo – with the big black rubber spoiler on the back too 😆

My mates used to call it the pimpmobile. Jesus, it was a money pit and drank fuel but it was so much fun watching the tutbo gauge needle creep up into the orange bit of the dial and then feeling the seat push into your back. It used to feel like you were about to take off. This model was the last where the brand had any soul for me – I’d be sad to see it go but if it was an independent brand again and turned out good cars, I’d go back to the driving one.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Ours is certainly not economical. But it is a lovely car, and goes like shit off the proverbial.

hora
    Free Member

I’d love a 900 turbo with the 3-spoke alloys 😈

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d love a 900 turbo with the 3-spoke alloys

I so wanted a set of them hora, but mine just had the alloys that are in the picture – couldn’t afford the three spokers unfortunately. Back in 95/96 it was costing me £973 a year to insure…I’ll never forget the exact figure!

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

cars for architects or people trying too hard to be different.

gamo
    Free Member

I recently had a 93 1.9 turbo diesel while my car was in the bodyshop,
    high spec car paddle gear controls etc.really nice car to drive and
    quieter more refined engine than my vw 170 psi td but i found it really
    greedy (went through £30 of diesel in 4 days)nice car though!

BoardinBob

I miss my Saab 9-3 Vector Sport 🙁

Black, 2 litre turbo, cream leather. Super silky smooth to drive and not as brash as the Teutonic alternatives.

Bream
    Free Member

Good luck to the Koenigsegg Group, knowing them all personally I think they have the inovative mind set to actually pull this fairy tail off. It’s been all over the news in Sweden for days now, even had a 20min prime news time interview last night with Christian, the SAAB VD and the lady government minister. High hopes from the Swedish population.

I think it won’t be long at all knowing how fast these guys work before we start to see their influences. Apparently they are aiming to make the cars more lux than GM had planned, so I guess aiming at the upper Audi/BMW/Merc etc market segment.

ourmaninthenorth

As a child, we had some friends who drove a 900. I used to look at it and just not get it. But then, I was more taken with my father’s ur Quattro.

Now, however, I do “get” it. A lot. And, were I in the market for another car, a Saab would be high up the list. Dr North’s father had two or three 9000s as company cars, and they were all very well appointed. Doubt they drove “well”, but my driving desires aren’t what they were 10 years ago, either.

So, I’m looking at this development closely.

hora
    Free Member

When I worked in a restaurant a couple (regulars) used to come in every Wed evening in their black aero? 900 turbo. They used to let me sit in it (I couldnt drive back then). Corr- it was sooo leftfield/odd- thats why I remember.

pjbarton
    Free Member

i always thought they missed a trick not leveraging their airplane heritage more.
    a few flicks of toggle switches over your head before you can start! be great fun!.. or tedious.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Why would being owned by Koenigsegg be the end of Saab?

scruff
    Free Member

I had a Black 93 Turbo, loved it. It started smoking on startup so I sold it to a nice Pakistani fellow.

willard

They always make a big deal about using their combat plane knowhow for the ergonomics of the cockpit, although a lot of people at work who have had Saabs reckon that they still were uncomfortable cars.

Speaking as a tall person, I would be against the use of switches on the ceiling. I would hate to have them surgically removed from my scalp after the first hump-backed bridge.

aP
    Free Member

The US adverts all had written in small print that SAAB automotive division had no relationship to any aerospace manufacturer directly under pictures of planes.

hora
    Free Member

Is this the end for SAAB? I’d say no. Its a strong brand still regardless of GM’s podgy fingers. However look at TVR. Ok, smaller but still – gone 🙁

Joxster
    Free Member

I’ve always had a love affiar with Saabs my first was a gunmetal grey T16. I’ve converted my soon to be ex wife to them as well, she has a 93 convertable. I don’t know if I’ll miss her or the car more.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Had a Saab T16 with the three spoke alloys in gunmetal grey metallic. Got it off my uncle for now’t. Had 285’000 miles on the clock when I sold it. Overboost protection valve wasn’t working properly. What a flying machine.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

although a lot of people at work who have had Saabs reckon that they still were uncomfortable cars.

strange – i’ve always found saabs to be very comfortable, and the switchgear very well laid out.

did a trip over to Spa-Franconchamp last year – drove solid from calais to Stavelot (where the hotel was) and got out at the end of the journey feeling relaxed. the seats in the 9-5 are VERY comfortable! (and theres also alot of leg room in the back too)

scruff
    Free Member

Just remebered, I have proper SAAB roofbars I dont use, they fit 9-3 and 9-5 if anyones interested please email me- address in my profile.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Is this the end for SAAB?’ is closed to new replies.