Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is this repairable – Shimano SPD pedal died?
  • krixmeister

In yesterday’s 24 my XTR pedal came apart – a few laps of nasty crunchy sounds, then this (see below).

If you read my post history you’ll see I’m pretty inept at mechanical stuff. So my questions are:

1) Is this repairable at all, or bin them? I know there are bearing replacement kits for Shimano XTR pedals – but not sure if this is beyond that?

2) If it is repairable, is this something a normal person (who’s abnormally useless at this) could do, or is it a “take it to the shop” matter?

Onzadog
    Free Member

There were a batch of XTR pedals that were well known for this. Spare axles are available but by the time you’ve replaced them both, you might as well get a newer set. Also, if the collar is still in the pedal body as it was on mine, and looks like it could be in yours, then you’ll have a ‘mare trying to get it out.

If I’m we my about the age of your pedals and they’re not that old, remember that XTR comes wit a 3 year warranty. Shimano are normally very cut and dry with warranty though. One day under 3 years, no problem. One day over and you’re on your own.

krixmeister

Ok thanks. Looking on various sites – for XTR M9100 there seems to be two codes – 9100 and 9100S1. Visually they seem the same. Which should I order for a replacement pedal?

molgrips
    Free Member

Is that the right hand/drive side pedal?

krixmeister

It is! Photo is turned around, but yes it’s the right hand pedal.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Was there ever any grease in that pedal? I’ve never had an SPD pedal with rust on any on the internal parts because they’re usually covered in grease inside.
    When did you last put some fresh grease in there? Never?

krixmeister

@bigyin – lol! As mentioned – I’m pretty useless with anything mechanical. The pedals have been serviced (in a shop), but honestly it probably has been two years.

And that’s two years of racing and bikepacking abuse across two continents in horrid wet Scottish or gritty dry Texas conditions. So definitely on me if failure was due to lack of proper maintenance.

Now just trying to figure out best replacement option. Probably some cheap (nearly disposable) 520s, since they’ll be subjected to a similar maintenance and abuse schedule.

molgrips
    Free Member

Photo is turned around, but yes it’s the right hand pedal.

I might be interested in the left hand one if you want to sell…

franksinatra

SPD pedals can break? You learn something new every day.
    I have some SPD pedals that are well over 20 years old, I thought they couldn’t actually die!

jobro
    Free Member

SPD’s do and have lasted 20 years, but not XTR. I’ve had two sets now that have broken at that very point. As has been mentioned, replacement spindles are very expensive. I just stick to XT now.

krixmeister

@molgrips – check your messages.

krixmeister

@Frank & @jobro – funnily enough, I have in the shed on a spare bike an _original_ pair of MTB SPDs – the first pair sold to anyone in Texas, in 1990. Those still work, but I have gone through at least two XTR pedal sets since then.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is this repairable – Shimano SPD pedal died?’ is closed to new replies.