Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)
  • Is this racist ?
  • bearnecessities

DTF could learn a lot from the OP 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

Biggest thing that surprises me is that you noticed and it appears to be a new experience for you. For as long as I can remember people in shops speak different languages in front of the customers. Mostly Indians/Pakistanis, but I canny say I would even look at it as anything unusual.

Racist, nah, just sound like you got exposed to something you aren’t used to.

Form me racism needs to contain a nasty element to it. You clearly don’t have that, just went out your comfort zone.

What you do with that experience going forward will decide if you are racist/xenophobic or not.

Personally, i’m a live and let live type, no problem with people speaking their native language.

Junkyard
    Free Member

t’s true most communication is non verbal,

every single time someone says that I challenge them to explain that via either the medium of mime or words

no one had tried the mime yet

Clearly we get cues from tone and other clues but the words are very very important or why bother using them.

seosamh77
    Free Member

btw, I don’t understand why it’s bad customer relations?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

As I said in pg one I was over it by the time I’d paid but in usual forum fashion no one reads what you’ve actually written

It’s like Chinese whispers ( is it racist to say that ? )

fin25
    Free Member

Ive not stated what language or where they may have been from for the record as I don’t know so I can’t comment .

Sorry, thought that’s what your poppadoms reference was about.

mattyfez

Just common decency, if you can, do, and if you can’t, no problem.
    I have been in situations where people have reverted to a different language in order to take the mick undetected, but it’s usually pretty obvious if that’s the case, tone and bidy language say a lot more than words.

fin25
    Free Member

bidy language

Now you’re being ageist!

Junkyard
    Free Member

i Suspect good customer relations involve speaking to the customer rather than chatting with your mate irrespective of the language chosen

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Rice crackers were mentioned so I said popadoms with no reference intended, I ciukd have said pizza or fajita

seosamh77
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    i Suspect good customer relations involve speaking to the customer rather than chatting with your mate irrespective of the language chosen

Guess you’ve never worked in a supermarket? Bloody soul destroying, if people can pass the day have a good natter with their mate batter in, imo. Customer relations would only come into it if the customer wasn’t getting attended to. I’ve read no evidence of that?

anagallis_arvensis

no one had tried the mime yet

My mrs spent 2 years studying mime in Paris with Jacque Lecoq…bet she’d give itva go!!

fin25
    Free Member

My mrs spent 2 years studying mime in Paris with Jacque Lecoq…

Is that a euphemism?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jacque Lecoq…

ORLY?

myti
    Free Member

No it wouldn’t bother me. Think you need to get out more.

scotroutes

Yes

scaredypants

I’m not racist* either, OP and I get where you’re coming from so yeah, send the racist bastards back home

*seriously – some of my best acquaintances are dirty foreigners

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Bloody foreigners, coming over here, stealing our jobs, speaking their native tongue together, on the rare times they are on the same shift, let alone on opposite tills, causing you to be put-out, to be offended, to act racist, even when you aren’t; bloody foreigners.

anagallis_arvensis

Is that a euphemism?

No but when we first met she told me she did physical theatre. I was disappointed!

slimjim78
    Free Member

OP conveniently forgot to mention that he was adorning a full SS uniform at the time..

(possibly)

fin25
    Free Member

Bloody foreigners, coming over here, stealing our jobs, speaking their native tongue together, on the rare times they are on the same shift, let alone on opposite tills, causing you to be put-out, to be offended, to act racist, even when you aren’t; bloody foreigners.

Hang on, he never said they were foreign…

scaredypants

ORLY?

Was this him ??

seosamh77
    Free Member

¿alguien creen que podemos continuar este hilo en varias idiomas?? 😆

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

fin25
    Free Member

alguien creen que podemos continuar este hilo en varias idiomas?

Que?

GrahamS

seosamh77 » btw, I don’t understand why it’s bad customer relations?

Well good customer relations (and basic manners) would be to acknowledge the customer stood in front of you, make sure they got everything, maybe even throw in a bit of small talk, etc. Yeah?

Ignoring the costumer and chatting to your mate is pretty much the opposite of that.

seosamh77
    Free Member

in25 – Member

Que?shhoosh, the op will never know how pidgeon that is! 😆

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

nadie creen que podemos continuar este hilo en varios idiomas?

Pues claro!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Guess you’ve never worked in a supermarket? Bloody soul destroying, if people can pass the day have a good natter with their mate batter in, imo. Customer relations would only come into it if the customer wasn’t getting attended to. I’ve read no evidence of that?

[quote] lady serving me was having a full blown chat with her fellow worker on the next till in their native language that wasn’t English.[/quote]doubt you get your NVQ, pass your appraisal or meet with management approval even though the customer is being attended to as you do something else 😉

I dont disagree with what you say about the job but its also not hard to see why its not the best in terms of customer service.

FWIW i always let them finish chatting as all jobs are shit and theirs is amongst the shittest

seosamh77
    Free Member

tbh, guess that question comes down what you view as customer service. For me i’ve got a low bar, and just want served and out of there. Less chitchat with me the better. Guess peoples attitudes vary there.

fin25
    Free Member

??? ?? ???? ????? ??? ???? ??? ?? ???????? ?????? ??? ????? ??? ??? ???????? ????? ??? ????? ??? ??????? ???? ?? ??? ????? “????” ??????

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

??? ?? ???? ????? ??? ???? ??? ?? ???????? ?????? ??? ????? ??? ??? ???????? ????? ??? ????? ??? ??????? ???? ?? ??? ????? “????” ??????

Don’t bring my mother into this.

seosamh77
    Free Member

captainsasquatch – Member
    Pues claro!

Piensas que el primero de este hilo es un burro? 😆 Ayudame, no entiendo mucho mas! Necesitamos otras! 😆

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Es un gillipollas, siempre empiece hilos de esta tema!

fin25
    Free Member

Piensas que el primero de este hilo es un burro? Ayudame, no entiendo mucho mas! Necesitamos otras!

No un burro, pero probablemente racista

seosamh77
    Free Member

si, eso es la verdad! 😆

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Is it racist to dislike people talking to each other in their own language whilst working in a supermarket?

But even if it is then we’re not to tell you it is because you’re not a racist?

So…..

You just started a thread to ask people to tell you you’re not racist?

OK. You’re not racist.

CountZero

personally i think its a bit rude to use a language in this country that is not native when you are fluent in the native language.

Two people, fluent in a language common to each other, which you aren’t familiar with, are having a private conversation, which you are not party too, and your nose gets put out of joint? I do believe the Life Shop™ © ® have a sale on, I suggest you pop along and get one.
    Should I be in a public place in a foreign country with a friend, do you consider it to be racist that we hold our conversation in English, thus excluding everyone around us?
    I guess it’s a moot point that I can’t actually speak any other language than my own, but it seems that it would still be out of order for me to exclude others from my private conversations.

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

In the work environment all employees should speak the national language at all times unless the work requires otherwise. Outside of work whatever. It’s professional.

fin25
    Free Member

Colgar, ¿esto nos hace racistas?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Is this racist ?’ is closed to new replies.