Is this powertool up to the job? (Black and Decker Scorpion)

Home Forum Chat Forum Is this powertool up to the job? (Black and Decker Scorpion)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is this powertool up to the job? (Black and Decker Scorpion)
  • scud

Having just moved from a flat in Surrey, to a house in the sticks in Norfolk (where my wife comes from and always wanted to move back to), i am new to having a garden/ allotment/ wood stove, so am slowly collecting tools and learning new skills as the jobs need doing.

I got 1/2 ton of firewood from in-laws farm which is great but there wood burner is twice the size of ours, so although it is split, the wood is too long and needs to be halved in length, in addition I need to replace some fence that has come down in the recent high winds and build some raised beds in garden, so it needs to tackle cutting fence posts etc

Essentially for a saw to do the hard work (on a limited budget) and was looking at this, any ideas, comments or better suggestions, reviews of it seem to vary from “it is brilliant” to “couldn’t cut its way out of a paper bag”?, i bow to the superior knowledge of STW and those a lot more practical than me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decker-KS890EK-Scorpion-Powered/dp/B00074ETBK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=AJSZ8CA4C7X6&coliid=I2H1WSN0E2H2XD

highclimber

If you intend on doing loads of cutting and it’s not too thick I’d spend a bit more and get a mitre chop saw.

trail_rat

Can get a cut off saw or a sliding chop saw for 99 quid . Will last much longer than that.

I doubt that thing was designed to do more than the average 12 minutes average diy joe does.

choppersquad

I’ve got one and it struggles to chop the bottom of my Christmas tree off. Bit of a gimmick really.

Premier Icon thv3
    Subscriber

Not got one but used one recently on loan, wasn’t impressed and wouldn’t bother. In my view it was a beefed up kitchen knife.

scud

Thanks gents, good to get a straight answer, as usual if you read the reviews on line, you’d think it was the best thing going!

Edric 64

I had one of those it would struggle to slice ham .It was poor on three inch Leylandi sticks never mind real wood !

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

I’ve got one. It is alright for doing decking, fence posts, steerer tubes 😀 etc but is useless with logs.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

If there is likely to be an ongoing requirement, then it’s going to be hard to beat a chainsaw. Either a small petrol one or an electric one. You’ll need to buy the ppe though and learn how to use it safely.

A husky 236 is a decent small saw – http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUSQVARNA-236-CHAINSAW-14-Bar-Chain-Brand-New-UK-model-/281215909850

Or a leccy one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-UC3520A-240V-Electric-Chainsaw/dp/B000UZ0T06

or go with a bow saw

scud

Thanks again.

Wanted more than a chainsaw really, in that whilst i need it to chop logs down to a size to fit in wood burner, I have also acquired about 40 reclaimed scaffolding planks, so was going to use them to make raised beds for garden and allotment, got a circular saw for that, but wanted something to chop through the load of old fence posts i have as well to use in corners, so needs to be able to make a clean cut.

Think i’ll go with the chop/ mitre saw idea.

spence

Bought one last year for the same sort of job, this year I got a Bosch electric chainsaw. Different league.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

needs to be able to make a clean cut.

No reason why you can’t make a clean cut with a chainsaw.

trail_rat

What geoff said.

Ive seen some incredible stuff made with chainsaws .

Look up handmadematt and see some of what he has done with a chainsaw

scud

And this is why i love STW, lots of silly comments and daft arguments often, but a numpty like me can ask a question and actually learn something.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is this powertool up to the job? (Black and Decker Scorpion)’ is closed to new replies.