Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Is this pedal repairable ?
  • DiscJockey
    Free Member

Recently noticed about 2 to 3mm of side to side play on my non-driveside pedal (M647).

I’ve taken the pedal body off, but not gone further. Looking at the main bearing housing, all the ball bearings either side are present and look OK. There is no side to side play in the bearing housing. But the main collar has side to side play (as per green arrows).

The pre-load nut and locknut are very tight, and there’s no way they’ve moved. It’s as if something is missing between the main collar and bearing housing, but I can’t work out what. Has a bearing surface worn down somewhere ?

Any ideas ?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

yup. Bush on the threaded axle side has gone. Looks to be exactly the same as the latest saint pedal axle. I had two….the bush went on both. If you undo the locknut and remove the small cone and lock nut, you will see a plastic bush in the housing nearest the thread. Chances are, this will be worn down. Almost not worth repairing to be honest….pack with grease will keep them going a bit longer.

You can probably buy a plain bearing / bush (will be a standard COTS product as i doubt shimano would make a custom bush). You just need to thread a bolt into it and pull the old one out and tap the new one in.

I could not be bothered to fix mine, and got some vaults. Which coincidentally have a bush on one side and a sealed bearing on the other. This bush is easy to replace.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Have a look at this. The bush is pressed into item 2 on the exploded diagram.

http://www.paul-lange.de/support/shimano/explosionszeichnungen_archiv/PD//PD-MX80-3390.pdf

does actually hint you can buy the lock bolt for the MX80 pedals here:

http://bicikli.de/shop/SHIMANO-spare-part-Y-46R98030-PD-MX80-LOCK-BOLTRIGHT-Shimano-Code-Y46R98030

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Thanks very much doncorleoni, that’s exactly what I suspected/feared.

Not a particularly good design for a pedal that’s supposed to be for thrashing down mountains and doing big jumps on BMX tracks !

It’s a pity Shimano don’t make a version of the M647 with XTR internals 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Is this pedal repairable ?’ is closed to new replies.