Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 256 total)
  • Is this pandering yet again…Ramadan
  • RustySpanner

So let’s call it that then?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Yep, they should be like good christians and buy their kids lots of chocolate at Christmas and Easter. I wonder which options is worse for their kids health?

Give over Scotroutes, do you seriously believe either options are good for them?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Modern RE is essentially a philosophy and ethics course.

Can i get a sight of the syllabus, as laid down by the examboard that proves that point?

“Back in the day”, in “normal” state schools, i.e. not RC or C of E, was there much praying and stuff? I always assumed there wasn’t much?

I went ot a c of E primary and refused to go to the secondary.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GrahamS

I went ot a c of E primary and refused to go to the secondary.

That explains the spelling I suppose 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆

mefty
    Free Member

Perhaps atheists have the dispassionate cold perspective of people who think both religions are wrong, so they feel well positioned to call out what they might see as entitlement and hypocrisy, that members of the faiths may not see from their positions?

More likely that their minds are closed, which has no place in science either.

anagallis_arvensis

Can i get a sight of the syllabus, as laid down by the examboard that proves that point?

Not read it or have a clue if it supports the point but:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/religious-studies/gcse

vickypea
    Free Member

Stoatsbrother- I think it is relevant to bring Christianity into the discussion, since the question in the OP asked if we are pandering to one religious group in a country that is multicultural and not predominantly muslim. Nor is it unexpected that the thread should take such a direction, since it is a logical follow-on to the OP to debate whether Britain is still a Christian country these days, and whether religion of any kind should or should not influence the running of this country.

In answer to the OP, I have no probem with accomodating Ramadan in such a way.

miketually
    Free Member

This is the overview of the A level course taught at our place. We call it “philosophy and ethics” but the certificate says “religious studies”:

AS Level
    This course consists of two modules, each covering two topics that introduce students to the study of Philosophy:
    Module 1: Philosophy of Religion
    Ancient Greek influences on philosophy of religion;
    Judaeo-Christian influences on philosophy of religion;
    Traditional arguments for the existence of God;
    Challenges to religious belief.
    Module 2 – Religious Ethics
    Ethical theories;
    Applied ethics topics.
    A2 Level
    Students who choose to continue their study of Philosophy and Ethics will take two further modules:
    Module 3 – Philosophy of Religion
    Religious language and the meaning of religious statements;
    The nature of religious experiences;
    The coherence of the concept of God;
    Life after death;
    Miracles
    Module 4 – Religious Ethics
    Meta-ethics;
    Free will and determinism;
    Conscience;
    Virtue ethics
    Applied ethics topics.

Junkyard
    Free Member

of course it does not support his view and i could have found it myself

Its clearly religious education – only one option does not mention religion in it-as that is what it is termed
    overview here to save a big paste [quote]We call it “philosophy and ethics” but the certificate says “religious studies”:[/quote] SO its the latter then

Reads more like the philosophy of religion should be the proper title.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

More likely that their minds are closed, which has no place in science either.

I like to think I’m at least as open-minded as those of a strongly religious nature…

fin25
    Free Member

Looks to me like there’s a few on here who can’t distinguish between accommodating people’s religious practices and promotion of religion in schools.
    If you’re upset by schools having a perfectly reasonable discussion about moving a couple of exam dates then you must be bloody furious about everything else that happens ever. This is not an issue.

MoreCashThanDash

Modern RE is essentially a philosophy and ethics course.

Which is how it is now being taught in some schools here in the East Midlands, made the local TV news a while back.

miketually
    Free Member

A quick look at ks3 re resources showed an introduction to James and John Stuart Mill’s ethical theories on happiness and Adam Smith’s notion of human sympathy.

miketually
    Free Member

Ha!

Summer exams will not be fitted around Ramadan, confirm boards: http://gu.com/p/4ftzk

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

interesting answers !

Would you be happy if you started hearing prayer calls when out shopping etc ? only asking…

bearnecessities

Yawn.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member
    Yawn.

Yawn all you like…Im only asking a question

miketually
    Free Member

Our local mosque is probably too far from the town centre to hear it, especially over the noise of buses, etc. I any see why it would be more bothersome than hearing church bells.

Did a Muslim touch you in a bad way when you were a kid or something? You seen very concerned about very minor Islam-based hypothetical changes.

Did you miss my link on the previous page saying that exam times haven’t been changed?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

miketually – Member
    Our local mosque is probably too far from the town centre to hear it, especially over the noise of buses, etc. I any see why it would be more bothersome than hearing church bells.

Did a Muslim touch you in a bad way when you were a kid or something? You seen very concerned about very minor Islam-based hypothetical changes.

Very strange reply…

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Would you be happy if you started hearing prayer calls when out shopping etc ? only asking…

Church bells already do that. Didn’t you know that?

scotroutes

Like Christmas Carols you mean?

miketually
    Free Member

Very strange reply…

Do I need to rephrase?

Why are you so concerned about two minor events, both of which are not happening?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I any see why it would be more bothersome than hearing church bells

Well they only ring the bells on a Friday evening (practice) and Sunday morning (plus the odd wedding) round here. I’d get well p*ssed of with it if they rang them five times a day, every day.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I dont think having prayer calls is a minor change – actually quite worrying for the future of this country, thats my view and yes its only hypothetical at the moment.

Why are you so concerned about two minor events, both of which are not happening?

One is actually happening…

miketually
    Free Member

From your post-starting history, I also see that your worried about Halal meat in schools, and Syrian refugees.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

miketually – Member
    From your post-starting history, I also see that your worried about Halal meat in schools, and Syrian refugees

And your point is ? Its all relevent at the moment or do you not listen to news ? (apart from my hypothetical bit about prayer calls)

bearnecessities

You’re boring?

(And edit a lot 🙂 )

Junkyard
    Free Member

Would you be happy if you started hearing prayer calls when out shopping etc ?

not really bothered tbh preferable to christmas songs

I have lived in the middle east and some places play it from speakers on lampposts so my threshold to it is probably set higher than most. That said i dont need to be woken at sunrise

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

A church bell is a bell which is rung in a church either to signify the hour or the time for worshippers to go to church, perhaps to attend a wedding, funeral, or other service

No difference between church bells or a call to prayer.

I dont think having prayer calls is a minor change

you’re 100% correct. there’d be no change except whatever is going on inside your head.

bearnecessities

no ones asking you to read or comment but being as egotistical as you is probably quite hard…

😀

Do you even know the meanings of the words you use?!

miketually
    Free Member

And your point is ? Its all relevent at the moment or do you not listen to news ?

There’s been a lot in the news recently, but your threads seem to revolve around Muslims rather a lot.

bearnecessities

I guess you’re saying that because I’m Muslim?

Junkyard
    Free Member

his point is clear there is lots of chat on a various issues and yet he thinks you fixate on muslims

fin25
    Free Member

Would you be happy if you started hearing prayer calls when out shopping etc ?

I have lived and still work in Leicester, where the call to prayer can be heard from many a local mosque.
    As far as I know, Leicester is still standing and war has not yet broken out…
    Get over it dude, people are different, if it bothers you, it’s because it bothers YOU, as in, maybe it’s not a problem for 99% of us and maybe you should have a word with yourself about why it’s a problem for you.

chewkw
    Free Member

I come from a country where the majority is Muslamic …

You lot want my answer? They don’t have to fast during the exam if fasting put them at a disadvantage. Simple.

Not because they are not religious but circumstances might not allow them to fast so they have no sin.

You lot change to accommodate them?

Do you believe in their God ruling over you?

😆

GrahamS

We spent a few nights in a hotel in Shah Alam that looked onto the Masjid Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah (one of the largest mosques in Southeast Asia). They played the hourly prayer calls through massive speakers on the minarets so they could be heard for miles.

Can’t say I was a massive fan, especially with jetlag 😀

But that’s the only reason I’d be against them in this country: the noise pollution. The world is noisy enough for me.

Well they only ring the bells on a Friday evening (practice) and Sunday morning (plus the odd wedding) round here.

I live directly opposite a Christian church. They ring the bells every 15 minutes (presumably in case their God loses track of time and forgets to move the sun or something?)

They used to go on right through the night too, but a couple of years ago they sent a nice letter to all the residents saying they could fix that if we all donated money to pay for a special timer, which was terribly nice of them.

dragon
    Free Member

Oddly I don’t remember hearing a single call to payer in Doha, the rush hour car horns was a different matter.

mefty
    Free Member

Like Christmas Carols you mean?

As a Liturgical matter, Christmas Carols aren’t strictly sung until Christmas Day itself (which includes midnight mass) although this only applies to formal Church services. Before Christmas, i.e Advent, Advent Carols are sung which are more interesting musically.

I live directly opposite a Christian church. They ring the bells every 15 minutes (presumably in case their God loses track of time and forgets to move the sun or something?)

I think you will find that is the chiming of the clock, like the one in Elizabeth Tower, historically people didn’t have watches so relied on clocks in public buildings to tell the time.

versysrider
    Free Member

well hey! i’m a christian (born-again bible basher type) and i have no great issues with accomodating other faiths. we as christians have got caught up with a lot of stuff that isnt important and it’s refreshing (in my church at least) to see a change in the way we do things. as something of a traditionalist, change has not been an easy road for me but i can see the difference in the way in which we relate to our local community. anyway, carry on…

PS isnt the launchpad in the FoD brilliant!!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 256 total)

The topic ‘Is this pandering yet again…Ramadan’ is closed to new replies.