• This topic has 45 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by ps44.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Is this just coincidence or have i upset a strava preacher
  • blader1611
    Free Member

I only use strava for keeping a running total of distance travelled but the other day i got a KOM. It turns out that the street i chose to do a 1 min power blast at the end of my ride must have had a segment in it and i took the KOM by 5 secs (it is only 51sec section). Its a residential street that has no redeeming feature at either end of it so i was surprised there was even a segment for it. I looked in to it and there have only been 227 recorded entries and the top 10 hasnt changed in over a year and i am not quick so i reckon its just a street that nobody bothers with. To my surprise after only 2 days i got a dethrone message to say my time had been beaten by 1 sec. Do you reckon this is just coincidence that someone has also sprinted there or is somebody really that bothered about random street KOM’s that are rarely ridden? I have read the stories of these strava mentalists but not for some obscure non descript residential street,surely? Is it that bad?

Garry_Lager

So you’re a sensible, level-headed chap who merely uses strava to log miles – wouldn’t demean yourself to contest a KOM. The person who took the KOM off you, OTOH, is a raving mentalist and a danger to society. OK mate.

Congrats on the KOM, though. You should go and take it back off her (whilst riding in a safe and responsible manner).

taxi25
    Free Member

I only use strava for keeping a running total of distance travelled

Źzzzźzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzźzzz.

CraigW
    Free Member

Any segment of a minute or less is pretty pointless. GPS inaccuracies could easily make a difference of 10 seconds or so. Strava now doesn’t let you create short segments.

ajantom

I got a “uh oh you’ve lost your KOM” message earlier.

What is amusing is that I didn’t even know I had the KOM on what is tbh a rather non-descript bit of trail. Even better is that I remember catching a pedal on a tree stump and doing a crap, slowmo over the bars on the date it says I got the KOM. So probably not my finest or fastest bit of riding 😆

I might make a point of riding it again soon (it links two far nicer bit of single-track, so worth it) and trying not to fall off this time. That’ll show em who the daddy is.

rone

That’s the very nature of segments. You can choose to ignore it or you can try and beat it.

It’s not particularly mentalist. Some people are competitive. That’s just how it is.

blader1611
    Free Member

I have no intention of taking back the kom, just not interested in that kind of challenge

Enjoy your sleep taxi25.🤐

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I accidentally took a KOM in oz in Perth and someone the next day took it back. The KOM was on a long quite side road and I just happened to have goo pace coming in to it. The previous KOM had stood for a year or more and seemed to have a limited number of enteries. Next day I was dethroned. So the next day when I rode down it I tried quite had and got the KOM back. Needless to say less than 6 hours later I was dethroned again.

I won in the end. Booted it down there in the car at just in excess of what would be physically possible for a mortal on a bike, and subsequently was not been dethroned. Though I don’t seem to have the KOM any more so maybe the segment has been deleted.

sirromj

<span style=”color: #222222; font-family: ‘Open Sans’; font-size: 16px; background-color: #eeeeee;”>I have no intention of taking back the kom, just not interested in that kind of challenge</span>

Sure, loser 😉

ivantate
    Free Member

I got a 6th on my first time out.

17 people have done the segment ever.

I am happy.

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

I’m amazing

/End of thread

hols2
    Free Member

I won in the end.

I think you might be defining “won” a bit differently from normal people.

redmist
    Free Member

I prefer to wait a few days before ‘casually’ reclaiming any lost KOM… And then properly smash it!

funkmasterp

I try and be dead last on every segment and it’s unbelievably difficult. Some others must be trying a lot harder (less?) than me.

angeldust
    Free Member

Didn’t someone a few days ago post on the ‘old man irritability’ thread post that losing a KOM completely enraged them?  Worth going back and shaving a second off just to mess with the pathetic dick :-)?

kayak23

I was delighted to get several pr’s and a kom last weekend on a 40 mile loop around Eastridge and the Long Mynd. Chuffed with that.

Then I remembered I’d borrowed a mates ebike for the day, changed the category to ebike on Strava, and then I had nothing…

😁

funkmasterp

#proud #kayak23

kerley
    Free Member

All of my KOMs are where I have gone as fast as I could with the best conditions.  If I lose a KOM it is very unlikely I will get it back and not just a case of riding it again a few days later.

Although I do think Strava should have a fixed gear category as I would have 100’s more off road KOMs if they did.

funkmasterp

Hardtail category too

spekkie
    Free Member

I think you might be defining “won” a bit differently from normal people.

There aren’t any normal people on here!

trademark
    Free Member

Blader1611, even though you have no real interest in the usual Strava usage, you really need to go back out and smash the KOM of this user. If it was co-incidental then no one is upset, if dethroned by a Strava Monitor then he probably hasn’t got a life anyway so again, no harm done. It’s all innocent fun. Probably.

Kryton57

Happened to me yesterday.  a 31s second sprint up a 12% incline which a I rider I’d never met and I contested in 2016, was beaten by someone else who managed in 26 seconds.

I’m not concerned.  Much.

molgrips
    Free Member

So hang on. You don’t care about Strava, but you DO care enough to come on the internet and assassinate thr character of someone who’s just out for a bit of a of light hearted challenge. Not really that nice is it?

There’s a silly 50 second sprint near me, I noticed I was second on it after a ride, so next time I went for it, ended up equal first.  It’s a bit of a giggle, nothing more. Why do you assume everyone competing for KOMs is some kind of obsessive?

martinhutch

Got a random KOM on some weird 20 second segment a while back, I assume via GPS inaccuracy, and someone flagged the whole ride!

redmist
    Free Member

Exactly with molgrips on this one – it’s supposed to be fun! To mix it up when doing hill sprint efforts close to home I try to link up a few segments and go for it. Much more fun than up and down the same hill again and again (I guess that both these things put me in the non-normal category though…)

blader1611
    Free Member

Molgrips – at what point did i assassinate his character?? I dont even know who it was. I merely asked if the current trend for strava KOM’s extended to random residential streets. Jeez the pitch forks come out quicker these days.

Seriously guys i didnt even know how to look up the leaderboard on a segment until monday when i found it by accident, i have been on strava for 18 months so its a little embarrassing i didnt know this. I looked at other segments on my usual routes and its full of pro riders so i guess they were done on the TDY.

butcher

That was your KOM, man…

Take it back!

jam-bo

someone marking their territory…

residential street probably means on someones route home. I’ve got the KoM on one very close to my house and its the only one that I’ve gone out a made a specific effort to get back when I’ve lost it.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Any segment of a minute or less is pretty pointless. GPS inaccuracies could easily make a difference of 10 seconds or so. Strava now doesn’t let you create short segments.

Ahem, I beg to differ!   My group use garmins and iphones and when we look at our times following our rides, nothing ever looks out.  In fact we have one silly segment we always do with a lead out (I know, I know!) that is circa 30secs and the times are always exactly how we finish.   Never seen anything like the differences you mention in a few years of use.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Congrats on the KOM, though. You should go and take it back off her

sneaky misogynistic comment, hmmm.

whitestone
    Free Member

I was top ten on a few round me but have dropped down the leader board. Most of the newer times are from local pro or semi-pro riders so I’ve no chance of getting back 🙁

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

It’s not minimum time that is supposed to the issue for meaningful comparisons between riders, it’s distance, 0.5 miles.

Strava won’t let you create a segment of less than ~0.3 miles these days.

One of my favourite incidental things associated with my fitness riding over the last ~18 months, mostly up hills, is identifying potential categorised hill segments; riding them and then creating the segments. Think I’m now up to ~13 cat3/4s around Warnford in the South Downs and two cat3/4s near Longleat, you can identify mine because I usually put “cat 3/4 climb” in the title because Strava does not use their cat climb red circles on the Android app. 😉

martinhutch

I’ve no chance of getting back

That’s what ebikes were invented for. You only have to rent one for a week or so.

Although some of the times around here I’d probably need a de-restricted one.

DezB
    Free Member

Its a residential street that has no redeeming feature at either end

I don’t do Strava, but does KOM stand for what I think it stands for?

whitestone
    Free Member

King Of the Mountain, or Queen.

tdog
    Free Member

What the hell is Strava and couldn’t the other party have forgotten to turn it off if driving back home down this street you talk of???

might have to check this S… out if it glorifies my riding times and bigs me up!

😁

DezB
    Free Member

That’s quite funny.

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips – at what point did i assassinate his character??

At this point:

is somebody really that bothered about random street KOM’s that are rarely ridden? I have read the stories of these strava mentalists but not for some obscure non descript residential street,surely? Is it that bad?

You seem to have assumed the rider in question is a bit of a dick and is obsessing over trivialities.  You’ve called him a mentalist and used pretty negative language.

nedrapier

King Of the Mountain, or Queen.

They should rename it as King Of the Castle.

Along with the revised acronym, it would encourage people to view it with a little more frivolity.  When you look at a section, the person with the fastest time would have a little speech bubble saying “I’m the King of the Castle!”

“How many KOCs do you have?”

bigblackshed

Tuesday highlighted a Strava/Garmin/Fitbit discrepancy.

Friend and I. Same loop, together, no sessioning, Strava =18.6 miles, Garmin = 17.4miles, Fitbit = 14.2 miles. We didn’t check any deeper to compare elevation, etc.

Although I smashed all of my PRs (I’m never going to be bothering the leader boards) on a long descent on the new bike. And I was mincing too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Is this just coincidence or have i upset a strava preacher’ is closed to new replies.