• This topic has 54 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Is this forum broken?
  • brads
    Free Member

So it’s a moderator that’s been seeing my reports and deciding whether to pass them on ?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

but if you’re expecting to be personally fluffed by a dev team of just two people on a site with 1.5 million hits a month then you’re off your rocker.

No but you would think that they would realise that the forum drives a lot of their revenue ( I assume it does, bums on seats and all that) pissing your customers off, and more importantly perspective customers is not a great way to grow a business

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nowhere because the devs don’t read the forums. There’s a help button right there ↙, use that.

Ta.

EDIT: Link just tells me to email tech-support with my problem. Nothing about suggestions. don’t want to overfill the wrong inbox.

keithb

It’s not been right since the great hack of 2008, when the whole coffee-and-cream website/forum went down catastrophically over Christmas, and had to be recreated anew, in this colour scheme.

The old pre-2009 forum was also flakey where image and vidoe posting was a unique experience,  but at least you knew it was being run on hamsters in someone’s bedroom, as an add-on to the magazine so didn’t mind as much. Now its such an integral part of the “offer”, there should be a case for making it work better, especially for non-members whom STW should be looking to bring into the fold as paying members.

though as a maid up print member, it all works flawlessly on PC and mobile for me!  very rarely get an actual error or any misbehaviour.

Cheers,

Keith

qwerty
    Free Member

I no longer receive an email alert if I get DM’d

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Ah, the classic STW “offence is the best defence” response. And that’s not a spelling mistake.

nickc

No but you would think that they would realise that the forum drives a lot of their revenue

like most businesses, buying stuff from Singletrack drives their revenue. Buy the mag, buy some merch occasionally. that will do more good.

Drac

So it’s a moderator that’s been seeing my reports and deciding whether to pass them on ?

No, I said nothing of the sort.

Anyway. Brads they are trying to source why you can’t post there is nothing obvious standing out but they are looking.

All email address will be reviewed but some are embedded into the code so they’re not touching it before Christmas.

Drac

Ah, the classic STW “offence is the best defence” response. And that’s not a spelling mistake

Pointing out the email address is wrong and does not appear anywhere is offence?

shermer75
    Free Member

No way am I going to waste one of the few times that I’m able to log on to this forum by posting on here

dyna-ti

I think there’s a loose wire somewhere as the problems seem to be intermittent 😕

i got the pop up continually for every topic, then that didnt appear for weeks, then I got it again once, and a week or so after that again a single pop up.

Could all this be cookie related ?. That pop up is about accepting them, which initially it didnt store and now seems to.

Thankfully for me all the problems have subsided.

scotroutes

like most businesses, buying stuff from Singletrack drives their revenue

Like a subscription you mean?

At the moment, the forum seems to be behaving itself. Sure, there are annoying bits – functions I’d like to see, text formatting going screwy when cut-and-pasting and various other wee niggles. I never suffer from pop-ups, logon problems, screen takeovers etc. I guess that being a paid subscriber has benefits. Who knew?

weeksy

. Buy the mag, buy some merch occasionally. that will do more good

But will it get the forum issues fixed?

Heck I’ll donate £25 to any way possible if it’s spent directly on getting issues resolved here, I bet many more people would too.

Cougar

As far as I’m aware any reports made through the Help form go directly to Tech, it’s little different to email except it asks you questions. I don’t recall that the moderators even see those reports until they’re committed to the tracker. So, no, it’s not the moderation team ignoring you, you’re simply not as special as you think you are. As I said earlier, issues are tracked and logged and prioritised.

Oh, and Moderators do escalate up to Tech if you contact them directly instead with technical issues.

No but you would think that they would realise that the forum drives a lot of their revenue

I’ve no idea about that, but I 100% guarantee you that Mark knows exactly what keeps the lights on and keeps his staff in employ.

EDIT: Link just tells me to email tech-support with my problem. Nothing about suggestions. don’t want to overfill the wrong inbox.

It all goes to the same place, it’s not a large team. Just send it; you could suggest that as a suggestion even.

at least you knew it was being run on hamsters in someone’s bedroom

It broadly still is beyond far more expensive hosting to cope with traffic. Off the top of my head, STW is about one paid staff member per 100,000 visitors.

If only there were some way of monetising that, we might still be here next year… 😁

I no longer receive an email alert if I get DM’d

That’s a setting in your profile. If it’s broken, report it.

Ah, the classic STW “offence is the best defence” response.

Point of note, I’m a user just like anyone else, I am in no way official and my comments aren’t STW-anything beyond former knowledge.

Drac

Closing this now as poses no purpose. Please use the report tool or email tech@ they will receive issues that way. Posting on the forum is less likely.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Is this forum broken?’ is closed to new replies.