Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Is this dangerous or just me? Edinburgh Council content.
  • tomd
    Free Member

There is a cycle path running along George Street in Edinburgh city centre (street view link ). The path is segregated from the road and is generally a pretty good way to get across town. I think it’s actually part of National Route 1.

You get the odd person driving along it if they take the wrong exit off one of the roundabouts, but generally not a problem. A few days ago the council went and stuck these half-arsed bollards at the entrance to the path from each roundabout, so there are 6 sets of these things. The one below has already been driven over! They seem a bit dangerous to me, especially when folded down for cyclists. The one in the photo would be very hard to see in the dark if you approach it head on, and could easily catch a pannier. They are just where you approach the junction so your attention is likely to be looking ahead to avoid the buses and mad taxi drivers. What do others think? Does this look acceptable or something worth getting in touch with the council about? It looks like it’s been done with good intentions, just executed on the cheap.

hels
    Free Member

I am surprised the New Town Conservation Society allowed that ! Doesn’t look very Georgian to me, except it might be useful for killing peasants.

scotroutes

Certainly worth reporting – both to the council and to Spokes/Sustrans who might be able to make sure it gets to the right place sooner.

bigjim

I work on George st and the cycle paths are a source of much entertainment through the window.

There is much discussion of this system here http://citycyclingedinburgh.info/bbpress/topic.php?id=12983&page=16

I do think CEC have their heart in the right place but the execution maybe isn’t ideal.

jodafett

The traffic management on George St is a trial at the moment so I’d bet that’s a temporary solution (albeit, not a good one)

tomd
    Free Member

Yeah I can see what they’re trying to do but it’s not hard to imagine a cyclist getting kneecapped by one of those things

antigee

“bigjim – Member
    I work on George st and the cycle paths are a source of much entertainment through the window.”

looking at that pic’ what the council need to install is some sort of mobile crane that suspends one of those great big planters above the cyclepath – hit the release button and problem sorted – coffee break “my turn, my turn!”

and that bollard folded down will be hard to see in the dark classic cycle path stuff – if you use regular you know the obstructions – if not then look out for all sorts of ….

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s not as shit as the submerged bollards of a few years ago that lasted about 2 weeks.

But it’s shit.

Complain.

neilwheel
    Free Member

That looks very poor.

Have all of the bollards been installed in the same relation to zebra crossings, as in the photo above?

jamiep
    Free Member

The bollards are at the start/end of the cycle path whenever it meets the road, recently hastily put in some time after the path opened to prevent cars accessing it.

The whole of the cycle way on George Street is an ‘experiment’ and so all of the infrastructure may not be the final version.

There are many other things wrong with the cycle way (eg impossible to exit it at the St Andrews Sq end if one obeys all (conflicting) signage). Nevertheless, I think actually having the path (however poorly executed) is a movement in the right direct by ECC

hels
    Free Member

No no no…. something crap is not better than nothing. They will then say “we put in some cycle stuff but nobody used it so it was a waste of money” (subtext – that will learn you for not letting us levy a congestion charge – the trams wasn’t punishment enough)

chored
    Free Member

I cycle along there most mornings and the the first thing I thought when I saw the new bollards was that they are too low. I’d be surprised if a car doesn’t run into them soon/already has. The one in the picture half collapsed looks pretty dodgy.

D0NK

No no no…. something crap is not better than nothing.

+1 (and the rest of what hels said)

Kunstler

I also agree with hels. There’s always going to be big compromise and it’s least likely to be made against motorised traffic.
    The section where it crosses to run what previously would have been against the flow of traffic is confusing. I’ve had cars turn into my path at the roundabout twice last week. I’ve also worked out that it’s quicker to cross back to the left to get through the light sequence.

bigjim

There’s usually a car or a few cars going along the cycle path every half hour or so, so anything that stops that is a good thing. There was a non cyclist taking photos of the bollard outside the office this morning.

mcgeordie
    Free Member

I cross George St on Hanover St on my commute and often see cars turning onto or exiting out of the cycle paths. I think most of the offending drivers are following Sat Navs but in their defence there is no signage on the approach e.g. there is no ‘no right hand turn’ sign, and no decent signage at the entrance to the cycle lane.

Also worth reporting to Spokes.

The bollards look pretty dangerous for cyclists.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

If it will go back upright, can someone place a big traffic cone over it? Then, with luck, some white van driver will try to push it out of the way with his bumper.

bigjim

yes I noticed the one outside the office was broken this morning, just the base remains. There seem to be more cars parked on the non-car side than the car side at the moment!

tomd
    Free Member

They seemed to last a week then all got smashed up within a few days. A few have been run over and squashed, other hit with enough force to break them totally. The article seemed to hint it may not all have been accidental.

stumpy01

They should stick those rising bollards in like they have in Cambridge….

Nothing like a good YouTube video compilation of the idiots totalling their cars trying to ‘sneak through’ behind a bus.

tomd
    Free Member

New & improved bollards have gone up this week:

They do look less of a knee-capping hazard for cyclists and are decked out on reflective stuff. However, they are pretty light weight and fold down so there’s a high chance they’ll still get flattened!

bigjim

the one outside the office is still up anyway. going to be some disappointed audi drivers missing their shortcuts now!

Stoner
    Free Member

that one bollard isnt going to stop much – I could get my landrover through there with space to clear.

hels
    Free Member

There is some pretty obvious scope for mounting the pavement to the left of the bollard there.

muddy9mtb

you want bad bollards – check this out and more

Britain’s Worst Cycle Lanes: Photos of That Olympics Legacy In Action

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Is this dangerous or just me? Edinburgh Council content.’ is closed to new replies.