Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Is this broken?
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

I was just riding along

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well it’s certainly muddy, probably stripped the splines. New crank time – much prefer the most solid interface on the RF/SRAM cranks.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

much prefer the most solid interface on the RF/SRAM cranks.

The only cranks my massive 65kgs have ever destroyed were RF. Despite being correctly fitted and torqued, alloy crank spider splines on steel axle splines eventually wear. Especially if used with one of RF’s self-destructing BBs which no doubt adds to the load.

Shimano use a steel insert against a steel axle.

To be fair with the lens glare, mud and poor focus I’m only guessing at what the OP’s problem is (unless we’re supposed to be looking at the chain rings in which case it’s focussed perfectly….)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Junkyard
    Free Member

Crank arms say its Half past 8
    I was looking for a crack or some such in the dirt for a while

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I think I may need new crank arms.

Lifer
    Free Member

Nah a clean and a bit of Loctite will sort that*.

*may not sort it

climbingkev
    Free Member

Probably just the NDS crank arm. I did the same to a 105 was £22.50. Splines on the crank arm appeared significantly softer than those on the axle, so you should be in the same boat.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I thought the black scuff marks might be where it was installed by being hit with a rock.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Splines on the crank arm appeared significantly softer than those on the axle, so you should be in the same boat.

My previous experience was both totaling themselves and the other case was once one worn the interface wasn’t any good. Hence not running any these days.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Do the posher ones have lighter axles? I’ve seen 105 and XT fail at the crank arm, zero damage to the axle. My inner geek wants to visit the Shimano website now… But too tired.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

THe question I now have to ask is would you pay £20 to save 40g of weight

Rubber_Buccaneer

Any weight weenie would tell you £1 per 2g saving is a bargain. Others may suggest it’s an insignificant weight saving.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Have you actually taken off the crank arm to look at the splines?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I haven’t yet I will have a look tonight.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yes – what did it sound like?

I actually snapped an ISIS BB in half once which left me with two crack arms pointing at the floor – I took it back to Halfords with a look of WTF written all over my face only for the monkey behind the desk to take one look – make a blemface and say “duurrr you’re meant to fit them the other way” as if I’d been riding about like that.

Honestly – I should have thanked him really, it was the last time I took a bike into a Halfords and took the time to learn was a LBS was.

Anyway, ramble over – when it snapped it made a noise like someone snapping a lamppost.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

This made almost no noise it was a really strange feeling when it broke. The left hand spins independently with a feeling similar to a really really rough BB so I expect it is the splines.

thomthumb
    Free Member

home made power cranks. 😀

bruceonabike
    Free Member

That William Morris wallpaper is a bit dated tbh.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The only cranks my massive 65kgs have ever destroyed were RF. Despite being correctly fitted and torqued, alloy crank spider splines on steel axle splines eventually wear. Especially if used with one of RF’s self-destructing BBs which no doubt adds to the load.

This. I bought some Evolve XCs back in 2006 and they died within eighteen months (the warranty is twelve months). The spline interface isn’t strong enough, I know a few people who’ve killed Deus and Atlas cranks the same way. RF bottom brackets might as well be made of cheese.

SRAM stuff is better but the BBs tend to die very quickly.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Is this broken?’ is closed to new replies.