Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Is this bike any good for cyclocross?
  • bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting one of these for all round commuting/touring/soft off-road/winter trails and could even try my hand at CX racing.

I’ve test ridden it and it seemed fine. Geometry wise it is very similar to the Cannondale CaadX, so I guess that is OK. The only two concerns I had were 1. It seems a couple of CM shorter wheelbase than most other cross bikes. I know this could be a pain for touring but is it a bad thing for CX?I’d imagine nippy handling would be good for that? 2. Tyre clearance. It comes with Continental Race Speed 35mms fitted and there is decent mud clearance on those, however are more winter suited CX tyres wider?

Anything else i’m missing that could make it a bad idea?

The other options would be a Cannondale CaadX disc 105/Ultegra or a Kona Jake the Snake.

mattsccm
    Free Member

They looked very nice when I had a play. Thing is as far as I know it’s 54cm or nothing at Evans where they all seem to be. If you want to race I believe that regs say 33mm maximum although I doubt it would be checked at beginners level. Might be worth thinking of that. Wouldn’t worry though until those are knackered.

Clover

You can race CX on a mountain bike…. apart from the three peaks where you can’t and your tyres will be scrutinised and found wanting if over 35mm.

I have a Jake the Snake though and he’s very jolly (do they do them with discs yet? That’s his only let down).

benji
    Free Member

Nice machine, infact you haven’t listed a bad one. Tyre width never seen it checked, but you don’t want too wide when it gets muddy you kind of want it skinny so it cuts through the slop to the firm beneath. Smooth top tube so comfy on your shoulder. Wheelbase is one of those funny things, some courses you want something short, others you want a bit more stability, but you won’t go wrong with any of those.

Yes this years Kona’s have a disc option, nice bikes the Jakes had an early one about 10 years ago, was very impressed with it.

Personally I own a Cannondale and love it, not ridden the disc ones yet.

jimc101
    Free Member

The BMC looks like a nice bike, if you were to get it, the brakes should be swapped out, as the stock R515’s are on recall, and are getting replaced with R517’s

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Cheers all, as I say it rode well on a quick demo but knowing nothing about CX I thought I’d check in.

Sancho
    Free Member

I can vouch for the Kona and they are cheaper and better for 2014

MoreCashThanDash

Had a look at one on the Tissington Trail yesterday – looked great to me

fibre
    Free Member

Have you tried the CAADX yet?. I’m loving my Caadx Disc Ultegra so far 🙂 (also a CX newbie).

My local stuff doesn’t really need an MTB so I’ve mostly been using the CX since I started riding it about a month ago, a lot quicker than the MTB over smoother trails until it gets to rutty rooty ground then you have to be a lot more picky about lines, it does make the tamer trails a lot more interesting. I’m enjoying linking stuff with road segments, even with 35mm Small Blocks it rolls well on tarmac, and it’s great for spicing up the commute. It has the usual eyelets and tons of tyre clearance, about 16mm either side on the rear and 8mm either side on the front. Great all rounder and loads of fun 🙂

I upgraded brakes, wheels, tyres, saddle\post so cant comment on those.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

This is the tyre clearance on the BMC GF02 with Continental Speed 35’s fitted. Is it enough?

Rear seatstay

Chainstay

Forks

Merak

For dry conditions, aye. Muddy, no.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

That’s not good, do cx bikes get that clogged up?

fasthaggis

Jamie
    Free Member

That’s not good, do cx bikes get that clogged up?

Nah, not really.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

No amount of clearance is enough for that!

Jamie
    Free Member

No amount of clearance is enough for that!

Yeah, they are quite extreme examples.

BMC do seem to have made the stays skinnier on the 2014 bikes, though. Maybe to help with this issue? The orange 105 looks very nice, as well as being sold as an allrounder, which is what I am also after, but £1600….ooof!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Is this bike any good for cyclocross?’ is closed to new replies.