Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Is this art?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

So, joao3v16, no shag last night?

AlexSimon

So, 1001 then? … Why not just say exactly how many … Although “more than 1000” is massively unspectacular cosidering there are over 4 billion people on the planet – in the scheme of things, 1000 out of 4 billion = nobody really cares

This is funny. Welcome to 1970.
    To compare maths, I guess 1750 people might have turned up!

joao3v16
    Free Member

there is no definitive test for what is/isn’t Art

My personal criteria for qualifying art is : is there any actual skill or talent involved in producng it.

I.e. painting a picture, sculpting, designing an interesting building, designing an aesthetically pleasing yet functional doo-dah … these things all require skill/talent/ability

Paying someone to load a rock onto a truck, then paying someone else to drive it somewhere, then paying someone else to build two wall things, then paying someone else to lift the rock off the truck & balance it between the wall things requires no more ability than using the yellow pages and a telephone …

Oh sorry, I forgot – the ‘special’ talent was finding the ‘perfect’ rock 🙄 … which he’s clearly rubbish at because it took him almost as long as I’ve been alive

😀

So, joao3v16, no shag last night?

Mind your own 😉

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Ah… but he got it postioned in 68 different angles before settling on the final one.

Where as you joao would have clearly placed it in the wrong postion…. due to your sexual frustration… and then it would have looked cr4p.

joao3v16
    Free Member

If he’d made the rock himself first I would be impressed, but all he’s done is found something lying around and got someone else to move it for him. Then claimed all the credit for it. 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Special Talent?

Well they thought to do it… and I like it.

molgrips
    Free Member

The special talent argument falls down a bit when you talk about photography, since many great pictures are simply snapped.

And the “I could have done that” one that my Dad likes to trot out also falls down, because you didn’t, did you? He did, and gained money and fame for it. If it’s that easy have a go yourself, go on.

Anyway, art is clearly self defined, so trying to define it is futile and completely misses the point.

Oh and I suspect the brackets and the risk assessment are related 🙂

joao3v16
    Free Member

If it’s that easy have a go yourself, go on.

Will do. How hard can it be.

Put a reminder in your diary for around 36 years time when I’ve found the ‘perfect’ whatever-it-is to use …

bikebouy
    Free Member

Me Likeee, though again as said the brackets detract from the visual plain like.

Talking of planes, that one in the British Museum last year (see photo in here somewhere) was impresive (though not there any more)

Art for Art’s sake..

Money for Gawds sake..

IvanDobski
    Free Member

It might be art, it might not be art – but it’s definitely a shit attempt at a levitating rock.

D0NK

It’s in an Art Gallery, therefore it must be Art.

there’s always a danger a cleaner will leave his mop and bucket in the middle of the floor and people will start clstering round it discussing the new exhibition.

DrJ

Art is what artists do.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I’m more concerned about the fact that the BBC are telling us that 340 tons equates to 308,443 kg rather than the correct 303.5 tons.

ericemel
    Free Member

Art is designed to cause interest and conversation – it work

It’s art

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

IF the intent is to communicate then it is art. Though I’m damned if I understand what it is saying. Constructivism can difficult to appreciate.

miketually
    Free Member

There is something about standing beneath a heavy object. Anyone walked under the locomotive engine in York railway museum? You can almost sense the mass above you.

joao3v16
    Free Member

IF the intent is to communicate then it is art

My wife phoned earlier to communicate with me.

Is she an art?

😀

billysugger
    Free Member

Just looks like a rock out of place to me but then I’m not pretending to be an art critic and looking for meaning.

Why not spend 36 years making a realistic papier mache rock then not use big ugly brackets. Or use them to add to the illusion. Maybe that’s what he did.

jon1973
    Free Member

I’m more concerned about the fact that the BBC are telling us that 340 tons equates to 308,443 kg rather than the correct 303.5 tons.

Depends if they’re talking about long tons or short tons. If they’re talking about short tons, they’re correct. Since the story is from the USA, it probably is short tons the BBC are quoting.

AlexSimon

It’s a bigger piece of rock than the photos make it look:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pegeQLbiuJY[/video]

PrinceJohn

His most famous work – a trench….

I got a Land Art book for father’s day.

Was captivated by these

Have a little dream to do a road trip to them someday.

That’s a nice photo for sure, but it looks to my uneducated eyes a sunset through some massive pipes.

yunki
    Free Member

is this art..?

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Is this art?’ is closed to new replies.