Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Is this a windup? (submarine content)
  • jimmers
    Free Member

Virgin sub to dive 30,000+ ft to the ocean floor

The Trieste (in the 60’s) (pic below) was (mostly) made out titanium and the port hole was miniscule due to the immense pressure.

The Virgin sub looks comparatively flimsy. Is this possible?

samuri
    Free Member

I’m willing to risk the thieving bugger’s life on it, you won’t catch me saying stop.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Modern materials and construction methods are amazing.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I doubt he would do a wind-up. He is known for doing such things (balloons, space etc) so why not?

MrNutt
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG-adf3Z7_A[/video]

clubber
    Free Member

Materials. Carbon fibre/etc and polycarbonate or similar for the ‘windows’ compared to ti and glass(?)

thepurist

Dicky B’s just bought or invested in an existing submersible called Deep Flight that’s been around for a few years. A fancy paintjob and a bit of Virgin PR and hey presto, media coverage. The clever thing about these is that they’re positively bouyant so is theoretically ‘safe’ in the event of a failure as it’ll come back to the surface…

As to whether it’s really capable of bottoming the challenger deep, well I wouldn’t want to be the one on the test dive! IIRC there aren’t (m)any ROVs that are capable of that depth at the moment, and getting a manned vehicle down there is a whole lot harder.

jimmers
    Free Member

Aye, I guess modern materials can be considered amazing.

I thought I would never trust nor ride a plastic bike. But I have a Carbon 456 sitting in the lounge waiting to be built up and the frame weighs the same as my Scandal! Still can’t quite get my head round that one especially as it sounds like a tupperware box when I tap the frame.

Harry_the_Spider

Dicky B would make a great Bond villain if he wasn’t so far fetched.

samuri
    Free Member

It looks like a shark from the Simpsons.

I think they should go to the bottom of the sea and then break down. Then when they ask for help FOR 3 MONTHS! all they get is some bloke in India telling them they can have a bit of a discount and it’ll be fixed at some random point in the future.

theyEye
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to be the one on the test dive!

I would! Sounds awesome.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Launched from a massive racing catamaran, sounds mental.

thepurist

I wouldn’t want to be the one on the test dive!

Should’ve said I’ll fight anyone for second go though 😀

paulosoxo
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

I doubt he would do a wind-up. He is known for doing such things (balloons, space etc) so why not?

http://www.virgin.com/travel/news/branson-buys-pluto-reinstates-as-planet/

🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Branson buys Pluto, reinstates as planet
    Apr 01, 2011

But he does have a sense of humour 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Is this a windup? (submarine content)’ is closed to new replies.