Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is this a sign of attemted fraudulent activity?
  • Premier Icon reeksy
    Free Member

Today i’ve been signed up to three different commercial webpages without my consent. Each are well-known sites. One recognised that I had been signed up before – i got a ‘Welcome back’ message although i hadn’t resubscribed, and two i’ve never signed up to.

Could this be a step in an identity theft / fraud thing?
    I’m scratching my head trying to work out what the link could be.

I’ve received persistent marketing phonecalls over the last week or so, too. None of which i’ve answered and all of which I’ve received voicemails using the same script claiming they want to speak to a female that I definitely am not and then saying “i’m terminating the call”. I’ve blocked all of these numbers.

I’ve changed my email password and am keeping an eye on bank accounts.

Any ideas?

Premier Icon stevemuzzy
    Free Member

We had constant calls to our home number for someone else. They must have put the wrong number on a form.

Same with e mail, i keep getting e mails for a guy in australia about his car tax.

Do you have quite a generic e mail? I.e. first.last@xxxmail.com? Easy to mis spell over the phone?

Premier Icon maccruiskeen

three different commercial webpages

how different are they? Similar enough to have received details from the same comparison site?

Premier Icon intheborders
    Free Member

Annoyed a neighbour/colleague/acquaintance lately?

Maybe they’ve signed you up – could be worse…

Premier Icon reeksy
    Free Member

I have one of those email addresses that you have to spell out over the phone, so I don’t think it’s an accident.

One’s furniture, another’s surfwear and the last is electronics, so i don’t think a comparison site would be right.

There’s a strong chance i’ve annoyed all of the above unfortunately… i’m just that kind of person.

Premier Icon DickBarton

I had that with Tweeks…wasn’t aware I’d signed up previously, so wasn’t aware I’d unsubscribed previously, but got the Welcome back message saying that my email had been resubscribed and if I wanted on the list to click to confirm…I didn’t as I hadn’t signed up and wasn’t trusting a strange looking URL.

Premier Icon dcwhite1984
    Free Member

Unlikely to be fraud unless you need to click a link or put in personal details to unsubscribe.

Premier Icon Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ve had two emails blocked at work this afternoon from random addresses. Hull Buy To Let and Property Strategies. I am nowhere near Hull and am not interested in buying property there.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

I have one of those email addresses that you have to spell out over the phone, so I don’t think it’s an accident.

It’s amazing that somewhere in the world, someone might have a very similar email address.

I have had this with an email address that is almost foreign word, English word and numbers combination.

Can I ask – did you open the random sign up emails? Our system at work for email marketing can tell if someone has read the email – but not clicked on anything – and has auto actions to react…

Premier Icon scotroutes

I occcasionally get random emails from services I’ve not subscribed to. Usually it’s just an error in the email address (wrong/missing character).

Premier Icon reeksy
    Free Member

Yes, i opened them all as they’re clearly kosher websites sending me them (and i check the email addresses first).

I got another one this morning and have now noticed that three of the four are from companies owned by the same company – Kogan. And have since had another one.

I unsubscribed from them but I also contacted the fifth one to ask where they got my details from (all the Kogan ones require you have an account to be able to contact them!!!) and they said that they’d had a ‘system error’ … still doesn’t explain where they got my details from.

Premier Icon gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I get this a lot and eventually realised it’s likely the numlock key. If your address is ~first.last@xxxx then anyone who appended a number to that (first.last42@xxxx) has a chance to sign you up for something if the numlock key isn’t down.

Premier Icon reeksy
    Free Member

No my email isn’t anything like that.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.