Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • is this a retro bike and what model is it?
  • MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Ok was chatting to one of the neighbours yesterday, and got the “you into bikes, I got an old bike, could you tell me what it is and what is it worth?” know I am thinking some £300 bike when new 20 years ago and in a poor state and about £5 scrap.

But what it got out of the shed was a Raleigh, and a very old one?
    pull rod, brakes, 3 speed with sifter on the top tube and what looks like a dynamo type fron HUB!
    I know the singletrack fourm is going to help me out! 😉

URL=http://s1087.photobucket.com/albums/j463/MtbRob76/?action=view&current=DSCF0753.jpg][/URL]

Is this a dynamo Hub?

I not into the old/retro thing much but I would of thought someone might think this bike be a good one to do up etc. I am I right or wrong?

So what do you think this is worth, he been offered £25 of it from a friend to do up as a project, should he ask for more money?

ontor
    Free Member

Yes it’sa dynamo hub. It’s probably got a 4 pawl, 4 speed sturmy rear hub. I bought one a few years ago for £5 and rode it as a pub bike for 3 years before passing it on. Take the £25.
    There are so many of them about.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Thanks for that Ontor,
    did think been a Raleigh it might be a few of them about.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

It looks very much like an early Raleigh Roadster, and might be worth looking into a bit more.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Thanks MB, Roadster you say, quick google sure does look like it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

it might be worth a bit more if you can find the right buyer as it looks pretty complete and original

ontor
    Free Member

there are so many of these around that they’re not worth much.
    If the pump and all the spares are original then it’s worth a bit more but seeing as it doesn’t have the frame mounted accumulator & does have plastic rear lights and given the particular style of front light then it’s probably a relatively late one in relatively tatty condition.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Yeah it is all there, just been doing some more “google” work, the sturmy hubs oftern have a date/part number on them I try and get that or tell him the info you guys have kindly given me and he can go from there.

ontor
    Free Member

if you have a part number I can date the hub and pass on the service manual to you.

ontor
    Free Member

actually if anyone wants – here’s my SA archive; http://dl.dropbox.com/u/230516/SADOCS.zip

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

dont get to excited, but it looks very much like a 1939 Raleigh superbe safety tourist.

And will be worth a lot more if thats the case.

Here.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Thanks very Kind of you Ontor, I might PM you in a few days, don’t have this dropbox thing….
    yeah it looks like a match more so than the roadster and that looked close, another name to google thanks MB,

ontor
    Free Member

Rob – just click the link to DL 🙂

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

😳

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘is this a retro bike and what model is it?’ is closed to new replies.