is this a lot

Home Forum Bike Forum is this a lot

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • is this a lot
  • Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

2506ft. Seems okay for Afan. While the hills are big, a lot of riding there is one big up, then lots of down. A spin round Whites at Afan according to my Strava logs clocks up 1700ft and I’ll be tired after that yet only about 11 miles. Though I find the descents are what gets me. At least it did back when they were rocky.

Yet a spin round the Surrey Hills round my way can get me into the 2500 to 3500ft range of climbing, yet the hills are much smaller. It’s just a lot more up and down but not one big long climb, so tends not to be so tiring. Though a long ride will be exhausting. Would have to be 25+ miles.

5thElefant

That’s 2500′. A reasonable amount in 21 miles. Not sure if it’s up to a fir bit though.

Junkyard

I dont think it is a big mountain day but it is more than a pootle.

My last big day was 1800 metres in 13 miles

Premier Icon roverpig
    Subscriber

Sounds about normal for a hilly area I’d say. My normal weekend loop up here in Aberdeenshire is 20 miles and 2450 foot of climb according to Garmin.

yunki

Not loads I wouldn’t say.. A fair day out for me round here..

milkyman

if feel so rubbish now

milkyman

I have just come back of holiday in wales and while I was there went for a ride in the afan forest, I got totally lost but on my garmin shows I did 764 meters of going up hill, I have to say was quite tired the next day, the ride its self was 21 miles, had planned on about 14 but got very lost, so is 764 a fir bit or am I just unfit

Premier Icon roverpig
    Subscriber

If it’s any consolation the number of feet (or metres) climbed is a pretty poor indicator of the effort required off-road. If you are climbing on loose surfaces, for example or with lots of steps, rocks etc to negotiate and having to work hard on the descents too then a 21 mile ride with 764m of climbing could easily be an epic day out.

yunki

Golspie wildcat trail is a good illustration of roverpig’s point, as is Lustleigh Cleave at the other end of our fair isle..

When I say a fair day out, I’d be fairly satisfied with those numbers..

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Lustleigh Cleave

is there a carry on movie theme park/museum there?

milkyman

it was hard going and I found going down as hard as going up almost, very steep going up and very lose slate going down, so I did find it hard going, total ride time was just over 3hrs

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘is this a lot’ is closed to new replies.