Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Is this a joke?
  • daveagiles
    Free Member

These prices can’t be right, surely?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=61087

wwaswas

some fairly intricate machining going on there.

and if people are prepared to pay that then they’ll charge it…

MSP

I think they are, I did consider going 1×9, but when chain devices are 2 or 3 times more than a front derailleur, it seems little point.

D0NK

you did see the e13 logo didn’t you?

thomthumb
    Free Member

buy a superstar one for £15 – then you’ll see why good ones cost 3x that.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Pretty much all chainguides are priced at what the distributors think we will pay for them IMHO. Whether this bears any correlation to the manufacturing and distribution costs is another question.
    Tomthumb, the SSC seatpost-mounted one is a bit rubbish, but how their other better working ones retail at 50% or less than the equivalents from the mrp’s and e13’s of this world must be a bit of an embarrassment at times.

jota180
    Free Member

Don’t buy them – that’ll learn ’em

😉

IHN

Pretty much all chainguides goods offered for sale are priced at what the distributors think we will pay for them IMHO

Chain devices are one of those things that do command ridiculous prices though. And they seem to be massively over-engineered. A front mech does the same job and it doesn’t look like it’s designed to mount a machine gun to a battleship…

[edit] actually, having looked at the one in the link, it’s fairly subtle. But hugely overpriced[edit]

daveagiles
    Free Member

It’s over twice the price of the BB mount version.

It is a good job that I wasn’t after one!

I have a superstar BB mount and an E 13 BB, can’t tell the difference on the bike, the e 13 does look better though…

HermanShake
    Free Member

Reviewed bikes are exceeding £5k on a more frequent basis. Unfortunately people keep paying this much and as such normal price ranges have become prohibitive for many.

I guess money going into the sport is kind of good as it keeps things developing, but how long before a £10k off-the-peg MTB?

D0NK

I guess money going into the sport is kind of good as it keeps things developing, but how long before a £10k off-the-peg MTB?

2 years maybe 3?

cycling seems to be getting expensive very quickly, but maybe I’m just getting old.

sugdenr
    Free Member

How come it took ‘years in the making’, seeing as he just copied front mech design?

wwaswas

cycling seems to be getting expensive very quickly

£500 bikes are better than they’ve ever been.

I think it’s just our expectations of what they should do/be made from/look that pushes prices up on high end kit.

D0NK

£500 bikes are better than they’ve ever been

oh yeah and at every price point below 2k and that’s a good thing. But I’ve normally seen XT as really good kit and reasonable vfm, now it seems to be bloody pricey and I’m having trouble justifying* the expense (to myself).

Same can be said for other stuff, I used to buy for eg. the model 2 down from flagship (or whatever) now I’m buying from further down the range.

*yes I know it’s a leisure thing, I round around in circles on my day off so justification is a bit of a surreal concept in this case.

daveagiles
    Free Member

We are not to far off the £10000 bike, the scott scale and Spark are £8799 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/spark-sl-2012-mountain-bike-ec030782#features

Got to say, there are some cracking deals out there though, Rockshok forks, Sram 9speed kit etc.

martymac

and of course, cycling as a whole is growing due to costs of fuel etc.

m_t_b
    Free Member

oh yeah and at every price point below 2k and that’s a good thing. But I’ve normally seen XT as really good kit and reasonable vfm, now it seems to be bloody pricey and I’m having trouble justifying* the expense (to myself).

SLX all the way XT is overpriced comparatively

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Is this a joke?’ is closed to new replies.