is this a good idea ?

Home Forum Bike Forum is this a good idea ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • is this a good idea ?
  • Premier Icon richieokeefe1
    Subscriber

was thinking of having two sets of tubeless wheels , one with quick xc type tyres and another set with a bigger volume for trail centres ! I cant be bothered to keep changing my tyres over! or an I being lazy ? just swap the wheel set for the type of riding !

ojom

You’ll need cassette, rotors etc as well. Very expensive way of doing it.

It would take 10mins max to replace tyres and save you a lot of cash.

jonba

Plenty of roadies and cxers run multiple wheels for the same bike and road wheels are far more expensive.

If you’ve got the money then I don’t see why not. You could even run a lighter set with the xc tyres and a burlier set with the bigger ones.

16stonepig

As long as you swap them relatively frequently (to even out chain/block wear), it might be a sound way of doing things. However, I’d probably have a “good set” for general XC and trail centre use, and a “heavy set” with cheap but strong hubs/rims for you want to thrash it and not worry about the weight.

muckytee

You’ll need cassette, rotors etc as well. Very expensive way of doing it.

The wonders of centrelock?

It’s a great idea, right up to when you accidentally buy a frame to go on the spare wheels.

Premier Icon richieokeefe1
    Subscriber

thats what I was thinking , I was looking at some hope pro 2 on stans , my LBS is doing a deal but then you need rotors !

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

honourablegeorge – Member
    It’s a great idea, right up to when you accidentally buy a frame to go on the spare wheels.

This

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

i’ve done the opposite; i’ve only got one set of wheels, and 2 bikes…

Subscriber

thats a good idea ….never thought of that

Subscriber

in a different sort of way

Premier Icon JoeG
    Subscriber

I have had 2 sets of wheels for the last 6 years or so. Main set is run tubeless with Stan’s and regular trail tires. The backup set is cheaper, and I run tubes with it. The tires on the backup set get switched between semi-slicks, mud tires, and studded winter tires. The only thing that I have to do is to remember to retract the brake caliper pistons a bit since the regular wheels get more use and therefore the brake rotors have worn more and are thinner. The really nice thing is that a broken spoke, dinged rim, or bad freehub body doesn’t stop you from riding while the wheel is in the shop or parts are on the way.

munrobiker

Same as ahwiles- 2 bikes running 1 set of wheels here. It makes more sense.

robsoctane

C’mon mate, £10 will get you some good tyre levers and can you honestly say you’d rather spend £100’s than 10 minutes changing tyres?

That is of course if you haven’t got your mind set on tubeless, why would you? tubes will always be better…

Waiting for backlash now 🙄

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘is this a good idea ?’ is closed to new replies.