Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Is this a good deal?
  • edward2000
    Free Member

I know s*** loads about mountain bikes, but is this road bike a good deal? http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1404730/

Thanks

njee20
    Free Member

Not really IMO.

Jamie
    Free Member

Strange he doesn’t mention the model year.

edward2000
    Free Member

Jamie didn’t the 2011 model come with internal cable routing, which this hasn’t?

tonyd

Looks like the aluminium model? And it looks very much like this one from 2011.

They’re now £1000 new by the looks, and was £850 in 2011. I doubt it’s worth £600 but you can’t blame him for trying – someone might bite!

See if you can find completed (sold) listings on eBay to give some comparisons.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Boardman were a bit odd with years and over lapped, its a 2010/2011 bike. For some reason their new bikes came out around Spring/Summer but for road bikes that makes perfect sense!.

To be honest, You wont find many better bikes for the money he’s asking and you would probably get it for around £500. They are great bikes, I had a 2008/2009 Road Team and the frame was fantastic, really stiff but comfortable and the complete bike was around 19 lbs, for a alu frame running Fulrcum 7 wheels, thats not too bad. I really regret selling it to be honest.

Sram Force is a very reliable, light and positive shifting groupset and better than Shimano 105, probably on a par with Shimano Ultegra in my opinion, my Boardman had Ultegra and I prefer the Sram Force I am running on my new road bike. Aksiums are entry level aftermarket wheels but are a nice upgrade as is the carbon post.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s alright. The wheels are certainly better than standard. How heavy are you and how powerful a rider do you think you are? These low numbered spoke wheels never last under weight and power IME. If you’re light and/or refined then they should be fine.

Jamie
    Free Member

Boardman were a bit odd with years and over lapped, its a 2010/2011 bike. For some reason their new bikes came out around Spring/Summer but for road bikes that makes perfect sense!.

Don’t they have 2 year product cycles as standard?

Anyway, due to Boardmans being very popular as C2W bikes, they should usually be quite keenly priced, and usually hardly used after their new owners realise they actually have to pedal them to get them to move 8)

tonyd

I agree with Jamie, they should be keenly priced and (some) little used. As I said above, check out eBay sold listings for comparables. There are what look like newer models, and carbon, going for the same as this guy is asking.

BTW, I’m not saying it’s not a nice bike, I think it probably is, just that it appears to be a bit overpriced so if you like it you should haggle hard.

Edit: When you look at eBay sold listings, remember the seller won’t have got that much for the bike as he/she would have had to pay 10% eBay fees and if using PayPal another 3%.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Is this a good deal?’ is closed to new replies.