Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Is this a False Widow
  • ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Rockape63
    Free Member

Looks like it, having checked out google images!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

It was just munching into that Wasp.  So gets a thumbs up from me.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

No that’s a spider

This is a false widow

andybrad

we have loads of those outside.

molgrips
    Free Member

Those look like different species in those two pics. One has a thicker body which is black.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Those look like different species in those two pics

Natural history museum website suggests there are six in the UK including three common ones.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Yes I think it is, we have quite a few of them round here,

retro83
    Free Member

Yes I think it is,  there have been a lot about this year.

In general I’m terrified of spiders but I once saw one of these capture a wasp and **** its shit up big time, so they get a pass from me.

edit: didn’t notice yours had caught one too,  top blokes imho. Get an unfair rep just cos they’re immigrants I reckon

dirtyboy

I have one doing stag in my kitchen, it too has chinned a few wasps so happy to leave it

deadkenny
    Free Member

Definitely. Had a few in the house. There are a few varieties but I like the skull pattern on the back of this kind.

Technically can give you a bite that stings but not much and rarely known to bite. They seem to be pretty sedate when I see them, just sat there, and they’re good at dealing with other small insects in the home.

You got baby ones there too, or maybe that’s its mate (do they eat their mate?)? I found one with a couple of baby ones, so I relocated them as they might have multiplied somewhat. Don’t know how many offspring they have but could be a lot.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Is this a False Widow’ is closed to new replies.