Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Is this a crack? If so, (when) will it kill me?
  • ska-49
    Free Member

Does this look like a crack?
    Its around the none drive side and drive side BB shell weld where it meets the seat tube. The DS seems to be worse at 8-10mm long. The non DS could be a paint issue only. Opinions please so I can resolve this with the seller (who is being very helpful).

If it is a crack can it still be ridden or will I die a spectacular death?

Its on a 29er frame with rigids that will be used for XC.

Pics:
    [IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/2d8191l.jpg[/IMG]

flexo
    Free Member

It’ll probably kill you in your sleep.

kanza
    Free Member

Get a microscope or jewel loop to see closer up, even high def macro photos of the very ends of the lines. You will be able to see the fatigue in a lot greater detail. If it is, it will continue to fatigue through to fracture.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hexhamstu
    Free Member

I wouldnt buy it. If it was my own frame I’d probably ride it.

ska-49
    Free Member

^ Glad I didnt find that crack on inspection 😯

kanza
    Free Member

One saddle for sale, never used off road no scratches or scuffs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes it’s a crack
    Yes it might fail
    Yes it could be nasty
    But it may all be fine

A 29’er you say, people did say about the increased stress due to the massive flexi wheels and feeling of self righteousness that goes with them 😉

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I have to say thats a shockingly bad bit of welding in the first place.

npunshon
    Free Member

Its hard to tell with all that dirt/discoloration around the weld, clean it up and post another pic.

Jamie
    Free Member

Its hard to tell with all that dirt/discoloration around the weld, clean it up and post another pic.

We talking about Slimjim’s pic?

…on a sidenote, I bet he had a fun time on Google images, with those search terms.

takisawa2

Unless I’d paid top dollar for it, it wouldnt bother me. Always difficult from pics, & even more so when there powder coat all over it. You need to get the paint off to look properly.

Pieface

its a sticker

tobymc

+1 for a rotten bit of welding. Warranty?
    Is It me or are there lots more “is this a crack” threads currently?

Digger90
    Free Member

The weld looks like it is separating from the main tube… but judging by the paint it looks like it has been doing that since new – that is the part on the right hand side. On the left hand side it looks like the failure to weld the tubes correctly has created what’s called a ‘stress riser’ which has, over time, flexed the weld and tube creating 2 hairline cracks (these are the 2 small dark lines on the left hand side flowing west of the major gap).

Agree with others – it is spectacularly shite welding.

crftom
    Free Member

it looks more like the paint/powder coat crack id keep riding it see if get worse

slimjim78
    Free Member

I find it strange that the pic of my bum cleavage was removed yet there have been plenty of images of the frequent ‘naked bike rides’ posted on here without complaint.

DrP

Bit of tippex – sorted….

DrP

ska-49
    Free Member

Its a cheap frame.
    I presume its fine to use as long as I keep and eye on the area?
    What sort of failure could I expect?

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

I find it strange that the pic of my bum cleavage was removed yet there have been plenty of images of the frequent ‘naked bike rides’ posted on here without complaint.

And it’s not is if it isn’t an everyday sight, just pass some roadworks and you’re very likely to encounter something very similar.

Note to mods, would it be better to remove the offending pictures/text but leave the comment in to keep thread continuity eg PIC REMOVED BY MODS?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Weld looks like it was run by blind pugh !

Seen worse though

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Is this a crack? If so, (when) will it kill me?’ is closed to new replies.