Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Is There Ever Any Acceptable Excuse For Drink Driving?
  • uplink
    Free Member

I did in the 70s – most people did

We used to meet up at a country pub [on motorcycles] have a good drink & race home
    Madness, when I look back at it

Spongebob
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

all drivers become crap/rubbish drivers once pissed though.

Not disagreeing (yet), but please do elaborate Junkyard

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

Sorry missingfrontal, you mishundershtand. I don't drive unless I have absolutely no other option at the best of times and I certainly wouldn't while I'm feeling like this. I've not even been peddaling for over 10 days now.
    Maybe that's why I've been causing trouble on here (and in real life).
    I have a lot of apologising to do.
    My apologies to all I've been mean and arguementative to/with on here (including hora) over the last 10 days or so and especially for starting this thread which was prompted by my removed post on the Where's Sharki? thread.
    I'll behave from now on and I hope the bloke is having a great time somewhere, blissfully unaware of the obvious worry he has inadvertently caused.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deluded
    Free Member

Is There Ever Any Acceptable Excuse For Drink Driving?

Absolutely not.

However, the law allows for the defence of 'Duress'. Where a person is threatened with death or serious physical injury unless he or she carries out a criminal act, such as drink drive, he may have (in law) a defence of duress. You'd have to go some to get home on this at court mind.

There are also occasions when circumstances leave the defendant no real alternative, which is a variation of the above.

hora
    Free Member

Going back to the talk of being let off if slightly over the limit if your missus goes into labour in the middle of the night.

A. Why would you be drinking at this time. Shouldnt you be lucid?
    B. MrsH went into Labour at 11.30pm, I slowly and carefully drove her to hospital, her waters broke but we were still sent home 'for few hours'. We then cameback at 3.00pm. Again slowly and carefully.

BTW- throughout this I noticed LOTS of lasses coming in on ambulances laying flat on the stretcher being wheeled.

Worse case scenario- call a frigging ambulance. Saying that, I never would have done that.

Sorry officer-mate. My missus was in labour so I thought sod-it I'll drive (hic) 😉

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

barca2 – Member
    Sorry missingfrontal, you mishundershtand. I don't drive unless I have absolutely no other option at the best of times and I certainly wouldn't while I'm feeling like this. I've not even been peddaling for over 10 days now.
    Maybe that's why I've been causing trouble on here (and in real life).

Fair enough, just your opening post implied you knew your driving is impaired, but that was "OK" because you knew about it.

I'd still exercise a lot of caution because at the time of an incident the police would find impairment easier to prove than you'd find the defence of "not impaired" easier to use in court 6 or 9 months later.

ro
    Free Member

Of course there are valid reasons…

you're a complete fcukwit, or

you're psychotic, or

you're an entitlement freak, or

you're a registered alcoholic, or

you're a chav, or

you're part of the british 'party hard culture', or

you're stressed and needed the release, or

your boyfriend/girlfriend/cat/hamster just died, or

you didn't like the latest sun ediorial, or

you just didn't think anything bad would happen.

Heard/seen 'em all.

zaskar
    Free Member

No excuse.

Tear their licences up and never let them on the road again.

Might ease congestion too.

vinnyeh

I had to smile- this must be about as close to acceptable as it gets..

Man loses licence after drink driving in toy Barbie car.

Nick

We had a situation years back when a friend was glassed in the neck in a night club, it was chaos and the bouncers were basically thumping everyone and gave no thought to him (who we all thought was dying). So two of us carried him out and into the car and drove him to A&E, seemed like the only reasonable course of action at the time, all of us were pissed and were planning on coming back for the car in the morning. I can still see him covered in blood twenty odd years on.

DT78
    Free Member

I find this sort of topic really interesting, it's been so demonised that people get up in arms about it, but to my 92 year old grand father who has always had a few glasses of sherry with dinner and then driven home there is nothing wrong with it, despite us trying to convince him otherwise.

Interestingly I don't believe he has had an accident in his 70 years of driving….

squin
    Free Member

He's got a point……

Lee Mack on Drinking & Driving!

marionheck
    Free Member

I was once told by a police man to drive a friend to hosipital- when I pointed out to him I was drunk, he said just drive carefully. ?

aracer
    Free Member

Interestingly I don't believe he has had an accident in his 70 years of driving….

But he's seen a few in his rear view mirror?

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Is There Ever Any Acceptable Excuse For Drink Driving?’ is closed to new replies.