Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Is there anywhere suitable for riding this weekend???????
  • rockitman

Desperate to get out on the bike tomorrow. Really desperate!

I'm Manchester based and all the hills still look covered in snow, despite the fact it's raining at the moment.

Can anyone let me know of any where suitable for riding. Are there any trail centres open? Can you get to them?

Thanks in advance.

jedi

im off to woburn this afternoon for a ride and o see if its all melted there

rockitman

Thanks Jedi. Can't see any trail centres up north being open but you never know!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

We're doing Grizedale or Claife tomorrow, depending on the conditions we find when we arrive 🙂

joemarshall
    Free Member

There's still good riding round the south end of the Peak District (Matlock way) – although I'd expect a lot of mud now, and some snow and ice on the tops. Main roads to get there from here (Derby / Nottingham / Belper) all seem fine now, although I don't know about the roads across the Peak District from Manchester.

I did a 25 miler round Darley Dale on Tuesday. That was awesome, all the descents ridable, some of the top bits on Beeley Moor under 14 inches of snow, some of the uphills were icy to say the least too (the uphill on the road to Riber was crazy hard). It hasn't stopped being ridable round here all through the snowy weather, it just takes a little bit more effort.

Joe

elaineanne
    Free Member

i live in singletrack area….sunny Tod…. still lots of snow on fells…but theres going to be snow and mud slides soon with floods from melting snow (im building an Ark ! lol…..
    i havent been out riding for about 5 weeks now…its killing me…i need to get out !!!!!!!

Wansley
    Free Member

I think Dalby may possibly be open. I looked on the Forestry website earlier and the closed notice has gone. I dont know what the conditions would be like there to ride though… Anyone know?

If rideable thats where ill be heading! 😀

ken_shields
    Free Member

Jedi

Let me know what Woburn's like. I've a feeling it's gonna be slush central

Cheers

Ken

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Also interested in Woburn conditions, might go for a ride tomorrow morning if it's not too wet.

edit:scrap that, I've just looked at the forecast

rockitman

5 weeks off the bike here too. I don't care if it pees it down all day tomorrow, I'm desperate to get out!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

surely unless it's a foot deep in snow or people are shooting at you it's always suitable for riding ??

DezB
    Free Member

It's all melting round here and turning to mud.
    Ideal weekend for decorating the bathroom methinks.

rockitman

Simon, I agree wholeheartedly with you. I reside in Mossley, near Saddleworth. Off the main road everywhere is still 6-12 inches deep in snow…

I will be loving the rain / mud tomorrow (if I can find some!)

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Just got back from some dh action at my local – not easy in several inches of snow. One of the chaps was rocking spikes and seemed to be having a much easier time of it though.

Snow is getting really annoying now though. Novelty well and truly worn off.

Jenga
    Free Member

Think it's another weekend with the crampons and ice axe.

rockitman

Just got on a ride round Todmorden with the club…

Weather atrocious, ground conditions atrocious, getting out on the bike? priceless 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Snow is getting really annoying now though. Novelty well and truly worn off.

not for me :o)

nonk
    Free Member

watch for avalanch mind jenga 😯

Jenga
    Free Member

Oh yes. Got caught in one a few years back. Only a small one, but it scared the **** out of me. Those Lakeland gullies deserve a lot of respect, and they'll get it tomorrow.

mogrim

There's a chance of rain in Madrid, but it shouldn't be too serious 🙂

carlos
    Free Member

I've been keeping it local whilst the weather has been bad, I was out round Marple, Mellor, Rowarth etc… last night and it was rideable, ice to keep you on your toes, snow to make things harder and a crystal clear night. All through the bad spell of weather we've had its been rideable with the odd exception here and there.
    I'm back off there Sunday as I know I'll be able to get in a good ride.

Can't wait for the thaw though to stretch my legs on other routes

snowslave

In Manchester we always have carp weather, just ignore it and wear a coat!

Gary_C

In Manchester we always have carp weather,

Does that mean it rains fish???

snowslave

Yes. Because it rains fish, we need to get water piped in from the lake district. Which is a carp situation

yetiguy
    Free Member

surely the rain today and forecasted rain tomo plus the higher temperature means that bby Sunday we should have some of the best conditions in weeks.

FYI above weather forcast applies to the North west

thecrackfox
    Free Member

I live about 15 miles from Dalby and have been out on my local trails this afternoon.

Warmer weather and rain has turned the snow to cystalised ice, that has very little grip.

I did 7km in 1hr 30 and I was kna((ered at the end of it, slip, slide, slip all the way up and all the way back.

Don't suspect it will be much different at Dalby, i.e. it will still be dull with no flow 😉

jedi

woburn was a full on slush sesh!!! 🙂

skiboy
    Free Member

sheet, i'm doing woburn sunday, might pack a shovel, 😮

Murray

Given the rate the snow's melted overnight in the Chilterns I doubt there's much sluch left n Woburn.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Can't see any snow on the Quantocks (mostly due to the big cloud sat on top of them) but going by the rate the snow was melting yesterday, its going to be pretty wet up there.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Slushy, muddy and wet here (Mendip). Going out on Sunday when sunshine is forecast. Mudguards help enormously.

sharki
    Free Member

It'll all be not much different than a summers ride then.

Might razz around ashton court in a bit….

Buzz, you about monday afternoon for a ride in the dips, i'm doing a shoot in Blagdon in the morn..if not just make me a cuppa…

elaineanne
    Free Member

rockitt man.: where di you ride in Todmorden

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sharki: I've emailed my boss. I'll take my bike to work Monday morn hoping he's OK with it. Could get to Burrington Inn by 1pm. Would we meet there or somewhere else?

Monitor this thread (or my email is in my profile).

Militant_biker

Anybody try Glentress today? Last updates on the Hub's site and 7 Stanes site are a few days old, wondered if there was any improvement?

oldgit
    Free Member

Passing through Woburn Sunday. On/off road I think on the crosser.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

well, I'm just back from "riding" in Grizedale. As we drove past the YMCA beside Windermere it was like a switch was flicked from green to white 🙂 Most of the tracks were 4" deep in refrozen, crusted but partly slushy snow, much of it unrideable – and also sheets of ice! Luckily the downhills had been scoured clean by meltwater – in fact most of them were impromptu rivers!

10 miles in 4h15m = draggy 🙂

jonzo
    Free Member

Nice round Grizedale isn't it!
    Gonna try Whinlatter North tomorrow.

boxelder

I'm going through W/latter and round the Borrowdale Bash, home via Honister. I'll pack a flask.

yetiguy
    Free Member

Sod it, gonna try whinlatter tomo as well. I geuss the north will be MUCH better than the south

@ Simon – Are you still doing the ride next to windermere tomo, knowing what you know now, what would you recommend for tomo

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Is there anywhere suitable for riding this weekend???????’ is closed to new replies.