Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • is there anyway to glue this brake back together?
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

Snappedit, having to much fun at the Dyfi, just got round to cleaning the bike up and want to go riding before the replacement lever arrives (next week now) I used duct tape during the Dyfi to fix it up but surely I could use some sort of glue, to get a little more use from it!? Maybe combining more tape to support it I guess.

Thoughts?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

for the sake of saving £16.50 and with next day delivery
    is it really worth trying to bodge something as critical as your front brake?

CRC spare lever assy here

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

How much do you value your face?! I’d ‘ve replacing that!

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Initial thoughts are that I think you are underestimating the forces it’s subjected to and overestimating the strength of glue and tape. However, if you want to give it a shot, your best bet I reckon would be a metal filled two part epoxy (JB weld or similar) applied exactly per the instructions after cleaning the surfaces to be glued very carefully and then leave it somewhere warm to set for at least as long as it says on the instructions. It may or may not hold together.

woody2000

I think I’d rather ride with just one brake than risk that TBH. One brake will be fine if you don’t go mad 🙂

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

LOL. I can’t believe you’re asking. That is new lever time.

Tape and zip-ties are for emergency trail side repairs. For £16.50and d new olive that will be as good as new with no nagging doubts and potential for wilderness failure.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Cable ties.

What’s the worst that could happen?

cookeaa

surely I could use some sort of glue

Glue… 😆

Kids these days…

But here you go anyway It’ll cost a fortune, not last very long and TBH the spare lever will probably arrive from CRC by tomorrow won’t it?

TBH I’d be more worried about what state the bar was like underneath, I’d imagine a fair bit of force was imparted as your lever snapped…

timmys

I can’t work out how you could possible use a brake with it slammed up against the grip like that! Are you using four fingers on the lever or do your hands hang of the end of the bars?

unknown
    Free Member

I’d use carbon wrap. And a spoon.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

JB weld is about the best, but needs best part of 24hrs to fully cure so probably not worth the effort given you will need to replace it anyway.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d use carbon wrap. And a spoon.

Damn you! I was just about to suggest that!

tacopowell
    Free Member

I’m getting the whole replace the lever concept!
    Hence

before the replacement lever arrives (next week now)

Just thought I’d ask if there were thoughts on a quick but reasonable fix in the meantime!

overestimating the strength of glue and tape

I guess so.

But here you go anyway

Thanks but a little more than I’d care to spend!

I’ll think I’ll wait until the delivery.

I can’t work out how you could possible use a brake with it slammed up against the grip like that!

I’ve small hand’s and short finger’s, Why would I make it harder for myself?

kayak23

If you had to…and I mean HAD to use it. I’d try to drill a couple of little dowels into each part made out of a bit of metal rod(cut down nails perhaps.) and epoxy resin the bejeezus out of it. But, you don’t HAVE to use it so probably don’t, unless it’s towpath or something…

PiknMix
    Free Member

I love the fact that you just want a bodge to get out and ride. Kudos.

Northwind

Nobody on here that can lend a brake? I’m guessing since you were at the dyfi you’re not near me but if you’re Edinburghish you’d be welcome to one of my embarassing brake mountain for a while

TiRed

Since you are waiting for a replacement, I’d stick a jubilee clip around it and clamp as hard as it will go. Forget the glue.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

A jubilee clip is an EXCELLENT idea. In fact, with a couple of jubilees and a custom made shim that runs the length of the master piston, that would be a good long term fix. However, in the time it takes to shape and set the shim correctly, the new lever will have arrived.

My trailside fix would be a spacer/shim whittled from a piece of wood with a Leatherman, followed by ziptie apocalypse.

But I’d be ordering a new lever as soon as I had phone reception…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘is there anyway to glue this brake back together?’ is closed to new replies.