• This topic has 26 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Is there anything better value than this planet X road bike for £1099?
  • sc-xc

Link

I don't know much about road bikes, but this seems to be a good deal?

Is there anything else for around the same kind of money I should be thinking about?

Cheers

parkesie
    Free Member

Thats a bargain and a half that.

psychle
    Free Member

bargain! wish I'd waited before commiting to my current roadie build! 🙄

silverpigeon
    Free Member

If I had not already bought a Focus 2 months ago – I'd buy that

DT78
    Free Member

bargain.

mlke
    Free Member

I was looking at these and was wondering about how bad the own brand wheels were? I'm not a roadbiker but believe wheels are more important than some nice mechs etc.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Planet X model B wheels are very good value and have a good rep amongst experienced roadies.

I have some, they've needed truing a couple of times but they roll really well and accelerate very quickly.

firestarter
    Free Member

personally for that money id be buying a cannondale caad9 105

grizzer
    Free Member

Boardman get top marks for value and probably closest to planet x in value stakes

parkesie
    Free Member

Boardmans at are great value but that planet X if you can get one is daft value.

grumm
    Free Member

No but make sure you get one that fits you right. Even more important on a road bike than a mtb imo.

Junkyard
    Free Member

cycling plus reviews them [planet x was ultegra not SRAM] and pefers the Cannodale CAAD 9 – issue Feburary 2010. Said both excellent but not all riders were convinced about Planet X handling. very good review and said it should be viewed
    Said Planet x were best wheels tested at £1000 so no issue there
    Not sure if review is available online or not.
    Good bike for price for sure
    Boardman was 10/10 but this has a better groupset than Boardman Planet x 8/10 cannondale 9/10 realms of personal choice IMHO at those gradings
    I am not a roadie honest I erm read it in a waiting room 😉

grumm
    Free Member

I am not a roadie honest I erm read it in a waiting room

Think It's about time you 'came out' tbh.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Boardmans have 2 yr warranty but the £999 went up (which puts me off) in price and the new models will be out in Oct possibly.

I know people who look down on Planet X but they are a bargain, a friend loves his Planet X SL.

Junkyard
    Free Member

everyone knows anyway Grum…tellimg my parents was the hardest bit 😆

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Before you get all excited about the deal just be aware that the only bits of SRAM Red on the bike are the mechs and shifters. The chainset is FSA, the cassette is Rival and the brakes are some nondescript brand. Bit cheeky calling the model SRAM Red isn't it.

I'd be looking at a Boardman or Cannondale CAAD 9 or a Ribble Sportive or Gran Fondo before the Planet X

nockmeister
    Free Member

I beleive there is an issue large+ PlanetX frames flexing…

chutney13
    Free Member

i just bought a caad 9. seemed better rated by people who, unlike me, have a clue.

bensales
    Free Member

I've got last year's Ultegra/Dura-Ace version which I paid £1400 for back then and it's excellent. Fast, light, surprisingly comfortable (better than my Kinesis Tk winter bike) and has done 2000km over that last year.

Wheels (the Planet-X B) are still straight and true, and bearings still seem to be good. Only annoyance with them is the stupidly noisy freehub clicks. So I'll be replacing them with something a little more traditional when funds permit. Mine has a slightly better spec than the current one though, carbon seatpost, FSA SLK brakes, FSA carbon cranks etc, but that one isn't a shabby spec at all. Their saddles are crap, mind, I stuck a Specialized Alias on (in white to match, natch).

Oh, and I've got the XL, and it doesn't flex. At all. Even with my 16st out of the saddle up a steep hill.

Superb bike for the money, and highly recommended. Looking forward to going out on it tomorrow now 🙂

SiB
    Free Member

was rying to decide between the boardman and planet x 12months ago (very similar offer from planet x)……the fact that I could pick the boardman up he same day and not have to pay the building up fee (£100 I think)which planet x were charging were the deciding factors. Boardman is the only roadbike I've ever ridden so Im in no position to say whats better so its lucky I think the Boardman is perfect for me!

Do planet x still charge to build?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

nockmeister – Member
    I believe there is an issue large+ PlanetX frames flexing…

internet hearsay

I have a L and no issues with flex with my fat ass going up very steep hills

lots of choice/ competition at this price point, I don't think your are going to buy a crap bike

bensales
    Free Member

SiB, yes I believe Planet-X do still charge to build.

I didn't mind so much buying it in the box. I've always built my own bikes, this was the first one I'd bought in about 15 years 'off the shelf'. I prefer putting them together because I know it's been done exactly how I want it.

sc-xc

No build charge on these ones…

I have just bought Cycling Plus to go through the buyers guide.

Cheers all…

nickname
    Free Member

Saw this a few weeks ago and was considering an impulse buy, but just couldn't make my mind up.

Then I changed my mind and veered of towards the CAAD 9 (it gets awesome reviews like other people have suggested here). It's a top-end frame and I wanted some of it 😉

In the end I brought neither. Putting my money towards a RoadRat instead I reckon, need something to cope with the commute this winter 😉

In anycase it's still a bargain. The model-b wheels are good too. I've got some and they are lovely 'n light, though the freehub is bloody noisy 🙂

Haze

Buy it…you know it makes sense!

sc-xc

I was waiting for you to pop up Daz…

Selling the charge to help fund it, meaning I only have the 1×9 Kobe. Can't have my (ir)regular riding buddies getting all gay without me now, can I?

Haze

Ha, nothing gay about swapping pubs for cafe stops, wearing nice lycra and discussing shaving techniques.

The Kobe will serve you well considering how often you ride 😉 'tis a shame about the Charge though…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Is there anything better value than this planet X road bike for £1099?’ is closed to new replies.