Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Is there any tech yet that reduces irritating adverts on commercial radio?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

Saw something being done ..was it adblock related? Just wondered if anyone knew of other projects to deal with what,for me,ruins good radio .I’m not specifically anti advertising as I know it pays for free stuff ..it’s more the moronic voices,pathetic humour and desperate attempts to convince us to buy.Most of the ads on LBC for example sound as though the target audience is gullible children!

kaiser
    Free Member

Waiting for volume control and on off button.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Spotify, sonos speaker, playlists.

Sorted.

keithb

The BBC?

jimdubleyou

Get the “app”.

In exchange for Absolute Radio knowing who I am, I hear less ads when I’m signed in.

jekkyl

I know your pain. I listen to LBC too, the Ad for the dental clinic makes me angry. I listen in bed with a pillow speaker so just move the speaker away from my ear. Also if you get the app listen to any programs on catch up you can skip 20 secs with a press or drag the slider. If you like current affairs just listen to yesterday’s output?

Drac

<span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>Most</span> of the ads on LBC for example sound as though the target audience is gullible children!

That’s not the Ads that’s Farage’s show.

kaiser
    Free Member

That’s not the Ads that’s Farage’s show.

Actually his target audience is gullible kids so it could well be!

Superficial
    Free Member

That’s the joke?

molgrips
    Free Member

Home assistant (Echo, Google Home etc). You can have them play Spotify or Amazon Music or other streaming service, as long as it’s supported. They’ll play you selections of songs based on your preferences or whatever genre you select, in the case of Amazon Music they have stations based on music similar to a particular band and also loads of pre-made playlists presumably hand selected by someone. And there’s no talking or adverts.

retro83
    Free Member

It’s still in fairly early stages but there is a working prototype here

https://www.adblockradio.com/en/

kelvin

And there’s no talking or adverts.

@molgrips
    , I don’t think people listen to LBC for the music. They probably want a bit of talking. 😘

Drac

Actually his target audience is gullible kids so it could well be!

alric
    Free Member

Ive DAB radio in the car and Planet Rock has the ads in blocks, its easy to tell when they start, just switch volume off for 5 mins until you see the next track title appear

CountZero

Only listening to the Beeb is the answer. Yes, I know the Beeb promotes its own programming, that’s not the same as advertising all sorts of commercial crap.

kaiser
    Free Member

Just an update if anyone is interested.A trial version of adblock radio is now available and does indeed work on LBC..I’ve been using it for a few weeks and have silence when the ads come on. Occasionally cuts out but otherwise a massive improvement!

I’m sure Planet Rock increase the advert count on a daily basis, it’s almost to the point where I can’t listen. They now have a habit of playing one advert twice in each ad break. I even heard the same one three times the other day.

I’ll generally flick over to 6, or Radio 2, or sometimes Scala – which was originally advert free, but being commercial and owned by the same company as Planet Rock/Absolute etc the advert count is steadily increasing

jimster01

Planet Rock is awful, you have the ad break, station announcements, then another freaking ad break ffs.

I’ve taken to listening to pod casts these days.

andrewh
    Free Member

In exchange for Absolute Radio knowing who I am, I hear less ads when I’m signed in.

Why do you give it genuine details? I put all sorts of gibberish into websites when they ask me to sign up for stuff, nine times out of ten having my name as Mr hgjhg gkhkj, my date of birth as 1/1/1900 and my email address as jhhkhjh@gjkjh.com works fine. Unless it’s something like buying insurance when they have a genuine need to know they’re not getting anything, and even they have my phone number as 01234 567890. They can sell this data to whoever they want to.

zippykona

Radio Caroline have 2 non annoying ads per hour.

Make the change.

The first hours music today in the shop.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Radio paradise eclectic mix (or rock, pop etc) all you get is a softly spoken ad a couple of times an hour asking to donate. High bit rate too if you have a decent streamer/hi-fi
    How anyone can listen to commercial radio with those shouty compressed ads?

seosamh77
    Free Member

The off button is effective.

kayak23

I’m a radio six man. I just cannot fathom how anyone can listen to commercial radio stations. A place I freelance at does Spotify, and to me, it seems that it basically plays the same genre….all day. Much prefer the eclectic mix of radio 6 interspersed with a bit of chat and interviews.

Now and again I work on building sites or visit factories and it always seems to be commercial radio. I cannot understand why it’s never mind tolerated, but seemingly favoured.

Mind you, the sheer amount of times that Six music say, Six music…six, Six,siiix music, every ten seconds also is incredibly annoying. Plus the amount of times they advertise some program coming up later in the week is just totally overbearing.

Still, it’s all worth it for Lauren’s House music and the maths of life 😀

CountZero

Well, yes, but it does rather defeat the object of having a radio in the car, no?
    I have, in the past, driven for two hours from Cornwall in silence, because the car only had FM, and the reception was dire. It’s happened with DAB as well, in a Mercedes which surprised me. I couldn’t use a USB port on either because one car didn’t have any, and the Merc had them hidden down under the armrest and my cable wouldn’t stretch that far without getting in the way. PITA.

MoreCashThanDash

Chris Evans breakfast show so you only get his stealth ads for Sky programmes then BBC radio for blatant ads for their own stuff, some of which I’d miss if I hadn’t had it promoted to me

seosamh77
    Free Member

CountZero

Well, yes, but it does rather defeat the object of having a radio in the car, no?

If it’s got bluetooth, happy days, if not, replace it with something bluetooth! 😆

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Is there any tech yet that reduces irritating adverts on commercial radio?’ is closed to new replies.