Is there any such thing as a waterproof jacket?

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Is there any such thing as a waterproof jacket?
  • It’s not actually being wet that bothers me, it’s just at this time of year if I’m soaked through I then start to get really cold. I just figured if I could keep dry then this problem wouldn’t arise. Will check out some of the jackets mentioned and definitely not buy a Fox one again.

Endura Onesie
    Expensive, but the Rolls Royce of staying dry

Merino baselayer and tights underneath = winter heaven

“I just figured if I could keep dry then this problem wouldn’t arise.”

If you’re in filthy weather and working hard then you won’t stay dry, it’s basically impossible when the humidity is high on the outside of the jacket from the rain and on the inside from your sweat.

The best solution is the right base layer to move moisture from your skin and (if needed) a mid layer that still provides good insulation when sodden. If it’s properly cold and wet (like below 5 or below 10 with lots of windchill) you can’t really beat things like Buffalo pertex and pile or lighter similar garments with micropile.

Also – pit zips. Really big ones. It’s the only way to manage the sweat vs rain thing. No fabric can do it alone.

“Also – pit zips. Really big ones. It’s the only way to manage the sweat vs rain thing. No fabric can do it alone.”

Yes! Or big torso and arm zips. And velcro cuffs you can open wide for a cooling breeze when you’re going fast.

sofaboy73

If you are going to look at a hard shell I’d avoid the bike specific brands, you’ll find better and cheaper typically by just buying some decent outdoor kit. There’s nothing special about cycling specific jackets

Premier Icon breadcrumb
    Subscriber

Except the cut. Usually at least a longer back on them for when you are hundred over the bike with your arms forward

“Except the cut. Usually at least a longer back on them for when you are hundred over the bike with your arms forward.”

I’ve never owned a decent waterproof jacket that isn’t cut like this. Maybe that’s because I prefer mountaineering/climbing style jackets rather than more traditional walking jackets, but anything made for climbing is cut higher at the front and longer at the back (for leg lift and harness clearance at the front), with long sleeves so they don’t ride up when your arms are over your head.

stevious

If you can stomach the cost then a goretex shakedry jacket will sort you out. I’ve had one for a couple of years now and it still beads. Was out in ‘basically swimming’ weather for a few hours last week and was completely dry on my top half.

As for the washing waterproofs thing, it’s unlikely to be the actual surfactant component of the laundry detergent that causes damage, but one of the many other additives that get chucked in. I’ll admit that his knowledge is from a couple of decades ago when I worked in laundry detergent research but I’d strongly suspect it’s still true.

Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

I’d get a shakedry if I didn’t feel I’d kill it by wearing a pack or crashing

I’ve got an outdry which is the poorans version. Not hugely breathable but enough to be acceptable, plus no membrane to need to protect!

ibnchris

Do you run hot or cold? If you don’t run too hot I’d recommend a Paramo velez smock or even one of their evolution smocks. It’ll keep you dry and warm. Breathability is its main benefit and quite a few options for cooling down. I find them perfect for all day adventures where i don’t go ‘all out’ but a bit warm if I’m just going out for an hours blast

Only jacket I’ve ever had in 30 years of trying to keep dry that actually did so was a Pace Interactive. It was a ‘smock’ type but with full length side zips. It’s hung up in the garage & when I lose 2 stone I’ll be using it again!
    They don’t do them anymore. 🙁

shermer75

one which keeps the water out for about ten minutes.

Are you wearing a back pack? That makes a big difference, the rain gets forced in where the straps are first and then where the bag sits

chrisyork

I’ve got a Madison one but tbh I’d say in winter have a merino later underneath to wick the sweat away and so long as you’re warm that’s the main thing…

chevychase

@choppersquad – if you’re not bothered about being wet – merino merino merino.

I wear a long sleeved merino as a base layer, a second (cheaper alpkit) merino on top of that if it’s cold, then a fleece mid and wind/water”proof” top layer if it’s horrendous.

Yes, I get wet – but the merino keeps me warm. As do my thick merino walking socks.

Premier Icon Clink
    Subscriber

I wear a long sleeved merino as a base layer, a second (cheaper alpkit) merino on top of that if it’s cold, then a fleece mid and wind/water”proof” top layer if it’s horrendous.

Are you in the Arctic?! If I cycled n 2 merino base layer, fleece and waterproof I’d melt!

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.