Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Is there any point sending Man to Mars?
  • CountZero

Human colonisation of Mars will never happen and even if it did who’s to say Mars will be around for longer than Earth .

Never? Men will never fly. Men will never get into space. Men will never land on the moon.
    And then what happened?
    And when the sun goes nova, Mars will still last longer than Earth. For a matter of seconds, but it will last longer.
    Care to speculate on what could cause Mars to be destroyed before Earth? After all, it’s virtually sterile, has zero volcanic and seismic activity, so name something that would destroy it; apart from external causes like asteroid or comet strike, which is a good reason for spreading the human race into another planet.

JoeG
    Free Member

As referenced earlier.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17I5giCL1mo&feature=player_embedded[/video]

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Human colonisation of Mars will never happen and even if it did who’s to say Mars will be around for longer than Earth .

Never? Men will never fly. Men will never get into space. Men will never land on the moon.
    And then what happened?
    And when the sun goes nova, Mars will still last longer than Earth. For a matter of seconds, but it will last longer.
    Care to speculate on what could cause Mars to be destroyed before Earth? After all, it’s virtually sterile, has zero volcanic and seismic activity, so name something that would destroy it; apart from external causes like asteroid or comet strike, which is a good reason for spreading the human race into another planet.

Well there’s also plenty of things that man has never done and never will do , I think that colonising other planets is one of them , you may have a different opinion but until it happens it’s just science fiction . Thank you for answering your own question about what could destroy Mars before Earth .

codybrennan
    Free Member

I think we should do it, for no better reason than to remind us that we can do extraordinary things as a species. And I think the more we’re reminded of this, the more we might want to do other extraordinary things: cure cancer, feed the world, develop clean, cheap power. Which all require global, connected effort.

We’re always being told about the uplifting effects of global events, such as the Olympics- I think things like spaceflight can have the same consciousness-raising outcome.

Mind you, I’m not saying we should go to Mars first, but it should be on some list of things that humans should aspire to.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Does the reverse apply if we try and fail ?

codybrennan
    Free Member

You only fail when you stop trying, Neil.

molgrips
    Free Member

And then what happened?

You’re just cherry picking there. Plenty of things men will really never ever do and no amount of technology will change that.

Anyway I think we will go to Mars, but I don’t think we should try too hard just yet. More pressing problems, as I said.

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Is there any point sending Man to Mars?’ is closed to new replies.