Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 256 total)
  • Is there any joy in road cycling? Genuine question…..
  • Squirrel

I’ve been “mountain” biking for around 35 years. For me that means riding a mountain bike, mostly off road, on a mix of natural and man-made trails. So Chilterns, Swinley, Quantocks, Exmoor, Lakes, BPW etc. I’m lucky enough to ride most days.
    I also have a road bike, which I ride occasionally. I try hard to enjoy it, but just cannot find the love. I don’t know if it’s the bike (harsh ride, twitchy steering, poor rim brakes, totally unergonomic controls), or the tarmac, or mixing with the traffic (although I avoid that as much as possible).
    The moment I “hit the dirt” the fun starts. Is there any actual fun to be had in road riding? What am I missing?

duncancallum

I don’t get the same feeling road riding, it’s not as exhilarating.

However its nice sometimes just to turn my head off and pedal

tomhoward

You can go really fast on a road bike? The shit brakes and twitchy handling make it quite exciting.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sharkattack

Same here. I love the dirt. I love riding ‘features’ whatever they may be. Berms, jumps, drops, rocks, sliding around doing skids snd stuff.

Absolutely bored to death on the road. I’ve really tried and I hate it.

daveylad
    Free Member

Have you ever seen a smiling roadie? I would suggest not. Plus you have to wear that stupid tight clothing and a cap under your helmet.
    No thanks!

PMK2060

I love road cycling on quiet roads, especially in the summer. However, we all like different things.

Based on your post I doubt you will ever enjoy it.

MSP

Yes, but mixing with traffic can be a big problem, get into the right area where traffic isn’t heavy and what does exist generally gives you space, nice roads with a scenic countryside backdrop and it can be great. But in the UK especially that can be difficult to find, so hitting the dirt is a better option to find those zen moments.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Yes, but you need to be in a group. Solo road riding is awful.

The feeling when you’re in a good group working at a decent speed is amazing.

Kuco

I do more road as not exactly a lot of off-road where I live but I do have miles of fairly quiet country roads and enjoy it. The bike can make a difference, I was glad to get shot of my Roubaix and replace it with a Trek Domane which is 100% more comfortable.

If you don’t enjoy it why do it? I would never do something I didn’t enjoy.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Yes, but you need to be in a group. Solo road riding is awful.

You’re missing out on all the best conversation when you’re riding in a group.

FWIW I quite enjoy road riding once away from stop start traffic, it’s nice just to able to go. It’s not fun in the same way mountain biking is fun but it is its own sort.

dcwhite1984
    Free Member

Yes it can be fun, but its a completely different beast to mountain biking, MTB scares the crap out of me sometimes in a way that no road ride ever could and is by far my preferred 2 wheel sport.

But road riding can be good fun too, mostly more chilled out and a chance to escape the kids and home for a while its also more social for me, but i think thats because i have more friends who solely ride road bikes and dont stray into MTB.

Its interesting going out with a group of roadies as they all seem to pap themselves on steep descents whereas those of us in the group that ride MTB as a main sport fly down the hills.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I live in an area with lots of beautiful quiet roads, and not so great mtb trails. I prefer road biking.

However I used to live in Yorkshire where I could ride 40 miles from the door off road on good trails and much preferred mtb. The roads were far busier up there.

(harsh ride, twitchy steering, poor rim brakes, totally unergonomic controls)

You certainly havent got the right road bike / tried the right road bike if thats the case. Most people can ride on a road bike all day long, I would say an mtb would be less comfortable for a full day.

IHN

I like road riding. I like mountain biking. I really, really, like really really really, hate trail centres.

Different strokes for different folks, innit.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Trek Domane which is 100% more comfortable

Got a Domane. Love it 🙂

mert
    Free Member

(harsh ride, twitchy steering, poor rim brakes, totally unergonomic controls)

My road bike has none of these things, what have you managed to do to it to get it to behave like that?

zilog6128

Sounds like your bike is the wrong size, badly set up, or just shite 😂

Road riding can be fun, tbh I rarely (never) do “pure” road anymore as the traffic round here is a nightmare.

Gravel FTW, use bridleway etc to get to the nice quiet lanes, then it’s good fun (at least, I enjoy it). Very different to MTB of course, guess it depends whether you really only like mountain biking or you’re one of those weirdos who’s happy to be on 2 wheels whatever they might be!!

footflaps

I love road riding in groups. If you want excitement join a fast paced group. Barrelling down a tiny, twisty, back road full of pot holes, gravel and on coming cars at 30 mph a few inches off the wheel in front is not for the feint hearted. Someone shouts car and the sound of locking rear wheels around you as everyone scrubs off speed and tries to find a gap. Last week’s excitement was a pot hole at 30mph which took out three bikes, one fatally. No one injured, just a ENVE wheel completely written off.

martinwilly
    Free Member

I definitely get where you are coming from, particularly in the UK with its traffic.

But an hour or ninety minutes riding flat-out on quiet roads can be joyful, in my experience. Sometimes with music, sometimes not. It has been a staple of mine for two decades and always leaves me elated. Pick a quiet left-left-left loop of 25 miles and ride it as fast as you can.

tthew

Yes, but you need to be in a group

This for me, though maybe also the irregularity I do it also helps – it’s generally a novelty for me!

Its interesting going out with a group of roadies as they all seem to pap themselves on steep descents whereas those of us in the group that ride MTB as a main sport fly down the hills.

I find entirely the opposite Had the opportunity to go for a roadie trip to Mallorca in April – I’m a bloody awful road descender. Stupid narrow tyres with no progression from grip to sliding down the road on your arse, shitty rim brakes on the hire bike and nothing to land on other than hard tarmac. Nope, I’m an absolute fanny at road descents.

dudeofdoom

Depends your roads, you have to work out the nice road cycling routes thou and make the fun factor as opposed to just going along busy main roads.

Or tbh move to Spain and do my across the mountain and along the coastal route thats pain and pleasure of the fun kind,plenty of scenery and coffee and cakes at a price you like.

johnx2
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ve been on my roadbike in more than two years which probably does answer your question. However,

– it gets you quickly from A to B. My work commute when I used to do it was twice as long off-road;
    – it get you fit, depending on how you do it (group rides, taking turns at the front, shading into chainganging);
    – it gets you places, from Flanders classics, to long rides round the dales and lakes, and Alps, rides to the coast etc. There is something about covering ground. Also feeling that you’re about home when you get to within 15 or so miles.

And even though it comes with some pain, some of my best memories I guess are from road rides. Maybe I will get the damn thing out of the shed.

btw

Its interesting going out with a group of roadies as they all seem to pap themselves on steep descents

I guess it depends which “roadies” and where you’re riding. I pap myself once it gets near 70 km/h but some folks have no fear. Related, the worst hospitalisations etc amongst folks I know are from road rides and that’s mainly not involving cars.

Haze

Yes, lots

13thfloormonk

I think if you understand how good an endorphin rush you can get out of just the right sort of workout, then road biking makes a hell of a lot more sense, and all the other nice bits (the scenery, the exhilaration of riding in a fast group or a sweeping descent, exploring much bigger areas in much less time) are just extra added bonuses.

In fact, the rides I enjoy least are recovery rides when I’m trying to go as slow as possible, at which point the bike just feels uncomfortable and harsh.

Horses for courses, it’s a big transition from the adrenaline of a good MTB ride, and if you’re stuck in a city centre then I imagine just getting to the nice roads could be a massive chore.

ayjaydoubleyou

But an hour or ninety minutes riding flat-out on quiet roads can be joyful, in my experience

Agree with this. Also getting going in a group is equal parts exhilerating and terrifying.

Just riding around looking at the scenery or as a few hours of zone 2 effort – it can be painfully dull.

matt_outandabout

I guess my road riding is more touring and utility.

Living up here, it’s not that difficult to find stunning roads and views. Take a cuppa and cake. Maybe a friend. Certainly just ride for the pleasure of it.

Wider tyres and mudguards, comfort as much as speed. And a bike that can also head into mild off-road.

weeksy

Not for me…. it’s a day out on pedals… sure…THat’s about it though.

zerocool

Only on the sense that it’s nice to ride around country roads on a lovely day.

That and it’s less hassle to go for a ride out the front door than head to somewhere for a MTB ride.

Never found taking road cycling serious was much fun.

Although cake and coffee shops are nice.

footflaps

I also like the social side, on the non race paced rides you get to chat to different people about life the universe and everything – like being down the pub only without alcohol and you’re getting fit at the same time. The other day I was chatting to the General Counsel for M&S, the next ride a heart surgeon….

Although cake and coffee shops are nice.

Absolutely. When I was younger, I used to think that stopping for cake etc was a sign of weakness. Now it’s the highlight of the ride….

sirromj

I’d rather stack a few pallets in my garden and practice being bad at trials riding than go out road riding.

mert
    Free Member

I dunno about “all”, the most fearless descenders (on the road) that i know are all roadies, pretty sure most of them don’t even have an MTB, except for maybe getting to work and back.

yetidave
    Free Member

Most of my MTB-ing involves getting in the car. Most of my road riding I do from the front door – gravel riding is also a carless ideal. Easy, cheap, quiet Sunday mornings, often with a coffee/cake involved somewhere i would rarely drive to.

beej

As the monk mentioned, for me it’s endorphins (road) vs adrenaline (MTB). I’m an endorphin junkie, not an adrenaline junkie.

Plus a descent off a big mountain when you’re overtaking almost everything else – cars, motorbikes, most other riders – is brilliant fun.

Haze

Working together trying to maintain a fast pace on the Tues night bash before trying to kick the shit out of each other towards the end, the nice peaceful solo spins exploring new routes or the longer social Sunday ride and cafe/pub stop.

It’s not dull, you just probably haven’t found its purpose yet.

Squirrel

Interesting thoughts, thanks!
    Group riding is a good shout, I’ve never really done that. Also my road bike may indeed be shite 🤔. It’s a Merlin own-brand. The bars are narrow, the alu frame and narrow tyres very harsh (with no room for wider rubber). I didn’t want to splash out too much cash on a road bike, but it sounds like I need to try a different bike! The background to this is that, at 65 (😯) I can’t see myself MTBing forever, but will cease to function without a two-wheeled escape route.

binners

In an extremely uncharacteristic piece or good timing I decided to give road riding a go just as we hit lockdown. The roads around us are hardly the busiest anyway, but there was literally no traffic at all and the sun was out most days. So I got quite into it.

It will never ever be remotely as appealing as jumping on the mountain bike, but I’m still enjoying it.I’ve found that I like to take my road bike when we go away. Its a great way to go and explore somewhere and with far less sticky-outy bits it takes up a lot less room than a big full-suss mountain bike

As for group riding? Looking at your average group of roadies that you see out and about, I’d rather remove my own kidneys with a teaspoon

And lycra? Sod that! I’d look like a burst black pudding. Baggies, peaked helmet and camelback to annoy the purists. Its not like I’m ever going to be aerodynamic. I’m a sort of slightly rounded breeze block shape 😀

hardtailonly

Same as the OP. Much prefer being off road, whether FS, SS HT, or Gravel.

Partly is the traffic. Mostly its just the feel of being on dirt that I prefer.

I do road rides maybe 3 or 4 times a year. And do actually really enjoy them. Recently rode from Leeds to Gretna and back in a day as part of a charity challenge, and that was lovely. Its better on a good, dedicated road bike too (I use a gravel bike with a spare set of road wheels/tyres, which is fine, but a sub 8kg carbon frame with £1500 Zipp wheels is something else!)

I like the easy speed, lightness, responsiveness and directness of a road bike, and the distance you can cover. But fast road descents scare me!!

dudeofdoom

I find entirely the opposite Had the opportunity to go for a roadie trip to Mallorca in April – I’m a bloody awful road descender. Stupid narrow tyres with no progression from grip to sliding down the road on your arse, shitty rim brakes on the hire bike and nothing to land on other than hard tarmac. Nope, I’m an absolute fanny at road descents.

Yep does help to still be on the bike whilst descending.

Dunno I don’t think its a bad trait to be cautious on descents, Its practice thou and all fun and giggles until it isn’t, I’m finicky about who I’ll ride with in close quarters as they’ll be more predictable.

Haven’t had a goat run out but plenty of bunnies seem to have a death wish and tbh you wouldn’t want to go over the barriers here on the not very big mountains.

ransos
    Free Member

Yes. Most cycling is mostly good.

Squirrel
    dangeourbrain
    Free Member

And lycra? Sod that! I’d look like a burst black pudding. Baggies

Two of the nastiest bike accidents I’ve seen resulted from baggy shorts catching on drop bars.

The bars are narrow, the alu frame and narrow tyres very harsh (with no room for wider rubber). I didn’t want to splash out too much cash on a road bike, but sounds like I need to try a different bike!

Probably easy things like better bars, better bar tape and possibly better tyres are likely to go a good way towards solving that and costing very little by comparison with a new bike.

Wide tyres are (my opinion) very much the emperors latest wardrobe, just like mtb though crap tyres are bloody awful of not downright dangerous.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 256 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.