Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Is there an oil drought in the Rock Shox factory?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

I’ve just dropped the travel on a pair of brand new & unused Revelations & they were dry as a bone inside, no oil leakage when i split the stanchions from the lowers and no oil on the foam ring on top of the upper bushing!!! 😯

I’d heard of this, but never looked inside a brand new set of forks before. Well worth a check in future.

konanige

My Pikes were the same, just had my Reverb serviced at LBS and that wasn’t much better!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of pike forks on their way to me. Crush washers and a litre bottle of oil are waiting to sort them out when they land as I’m expecting similar.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Only my last Pike has ever had wet foams.

sheepshifter
    Free Member

29er rev kept blowing seal off!!! Sent to Sram said scratched air shaft, I bet this was from tinder dry assembly.Piss poor really don’t expect to check fluid levels on new purchases. Wake up Sram , oil and air!!

eshershore
    Free Member

no drought here, but perhaps a flood?

Recon on my new XTC 29’er, first ride = no damping and 1/2 the travel

sent back to SRAM on Monday, got it back today (super quick turn around), rebound damper seal had failed and dumped all the damper oil into the lowers

really happy with the quick turn around!

but went to install the fork, and they’d forgotten to put the Maxle in the box

next week then…..

Davesport

Foams in my Revs were absolutely bone dry. The fork had been supplied through a(well known)vendor who had shortened the travel to suit my frame. So, several opportunities missed to rectify this. I was disappointed !

Lucky I checked.

beaker

I had this with a pair is Psylos back 2002. I was at SSMM and had the Rock Shox techie (Tyrone Dines, I think his name was) have a look at them as they weren’t right, he dropped the lowers and no oil….

Poopscoop

Hmmm….

Recently got some Pike RCT3’s.

How easy to check the oil in them (hopefully) guys?

br
    Free Member

How easy to check the oil in them (hopefully) guys?

Easiest way is to just put the right amount in…, google lowers ‘service’.

johnw1984
    Free Member

My old Rev on the Stumpy was dry as a bone, but the wife’s Rev on her Cube seemed well oiled.

I was warned that the lowers would be dry and it’s a common thing. I suspect my Marz 350 NCR is dry as I’ve been experiencing stiction from new and have done around 25 hours on it with no change.

Going to Windwave next week I think.

Poopscoop

Cheers will Google that.

Just need a crush washer and correct oil to do the check and rectify if needed?

Just want to offer said bits before I turn in. 🙂 Will have a good look at video in morning.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You don’t need new crush washers to do an oil change, they’ll last numerous changes quite happily.

Oil = weight and in a race to be the lightest all the manufacturers are dropping volumes to mere teaspoon fulls.

scruff
    Free Member

Latest Sram doc says 10ml both sides, think it used to be 15/5. Clean the excess grease off the air seal and put 5ml oil in the air chamber.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

PS I just opened my new suntour radion forks which have NO oil in them, and that’s the way they’re meant to be, just grease around the seals! I squirted 25ml in each leg and they feel much better.

jam-bo

Send them back as faulty if they come with no oil in?

rotary
    Free Member

its happened to me several times now, with fox also. i drop the lowers off on every set of new forks now but i shouldn’t have to. i agree it is technically faulty and should be sent back. sram in my experience however have been very good when it comes to warrenty replacement

br
    Free Member

Latest Sram doc says 10ml both sides, think it used to be 15/5.

For Pikes’s it’s 15/5, think I put the same both side in my Revs.

qwerty
    Free Member

Revelation lowers = 5ml each side.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I suspect my Marz 350 NCR is dry as I’ve been experiencing stiction from new and have done around 25 hours on it with no change

marz have MUCH higher oil volumes and go far longer between services, 25 hours should be the blink of an eye to a Marz fork. Do the NCRs still come with a foam wiper seal, as this dries out (sits between oil and dust seals) adding some stiction and in their workshop blog they recommended removing them from the likes of my 55’s.

jonnym92

I have some Pikes coming this week, just ordered some 0w30 for them.
    According to here, its 10ml of 0w30 each side..

Northwind

It’s not always as bad as it looks- if you put in the recommended oil then give it a shoogle, it gets spread across the surfaces rather than sitting in the bottom, so when you drop the fork legs you don’t always get a lot of leakage. But yeah I’ve never had a rockshox fork have as much oil in it as I reckon it should.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Anyone know how easy it is to check and top up the oil in a set of Marzocchis 55 RC3 Ti Evos? Been meaning to check them since I got them.

Tom KP

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Is there an oil drought in the Rock Shox factory?’ is closed to new replies.