Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Is there an MTB equivalent of Ribble?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

Just wondering if there is one?

Ribble seem to do some really good bikes that are respected of in the road world that are off the shelf bikes from the East and badged as Ribble (including their carbon bikes as far as I know) but is there an equivalent in the MTB world?

Junkyard
    Free Member

ON – one are surely the closest to this model

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

On-One +1, although not catalog frames like Ribble they’re similar prices.

Kryton57

Ribble assemble sell MTBs as well you know, look at he bike builder…

honourablegeorge

Nuke Proof were probably close to that not long ago, but have moved beyond catalog – Vitus and a few other brands form CRC followed a similar path when establishign themselves.

swoosh
    Free Member

Ribble assemble sell MTBs as well you know, look at he bike builder…

I know, but they only do 26″ bikes, only Deore level gearing, quote racey geometry. So not really for me, hence asking about others.

Apart from On-One, any others?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Another one that springs to mind is Merlin (The UK one not the American one).

chakaping
    Free Member

On-One or look at Decathlon, Boardman@Halfords, Go Outdoors, Canyon, Vitus@CRC, Rose etc for cheapness. Bird for direct sales value with more progressive geometry.

Merlin’s homegrown MTB offering is a bit confused now, to my eyes.

Nuke Proof were probably close to that not long ago, but have moved beyond catalog

Nukeproof have always had their own design frames since the brand relaunch five or six years ago, no?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends what you’re after. If it’s just cheap bikes and don’t mind mail order:

Canyon
    Rose
    Vitus/Nukeproof/Ragley/anything else CRC have bought out.
    Bird (can be collected and test ridden if you’re local to Swinley)
    Anything from Pauls cycles (cannondale, trek, giant, specialized)
    YT

aracer
    Free Member

Back in the day they were – I nearly bought a Malt once – but I’ve just checked and they don’t seem to have own brand bikes any more. Which leaves On-One as the only major player I think.

swoosh
    Free Member

Canyon are supposed to be great bikes for the money aren’t they? They do look good (IMHO of course) and are lightweight and relatively cheap for the spec.

I have a Boardman FS Pro (2010 model) and I think it’s a cracking bike. Changed the wheels for Hope Hoops as I had them anyway but everything else I’ve changed has only been wear and tear.
    New Boardman ones don’t look quite as good VFM as the Canyons though

theotherjonv

I’ve just checked and they don’t seem to have own brand bikes any more.

Wow – when did that happen? I had a Malt BITD as a frame transplant for an old steel thing. It was fabulous until some numpty cross threaded the BB and it wasn’t worth repairing.

They still have own brand road bikes though.

ampthill

Weirdly Merlin now do their own cross and road bikes

chakaping
    Free Member

Not that weird considering the popularity of road bikes and bridleslayers.

Would be nice to see them doing MTBs again though, maybe with some fun hardtails. They used to be about the best for VFM.

ampthill

OK maybe not weirdly

But inline with current trends

or ironically

chakaping
    Free Member

Be good if they could come back with a 853 hardtail with a Reba and full XT for £1k again.

shermer75
    Free Member

That Merlin ROC road bike looks like crazy good value. Has anyone tried one?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Is there an MTB equivalent of Ribble?’ is closed to new replies.