Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is there an app for 5s that reads resets car fault codes
  • orangeboy
    Free Member

Can any one recomend an app for iPhone that works like a car diagnostic tool
    I’d want to reset / clear fault Codes not just read them

legend
    Free Member

Unless your cars diagnostics work by bluetooth, you’ll need a way of connecting the iphone before you need an app

RustyMac

A lad a work showed me a Bluetooth widget available on eBay they plugs into an OBD2 port but I didn’t see an app for apple, just android and windows.

Duno if this link will work as I am on my phone

Bluetooth Super Mini Android ELM327 OBD2 OBDII 1.5 Car Diagnostic CANBUS Tool UK

http://bit.ly/1cOjA6S

orangeboy
    Free Member

Blue tooth bit is easy , but as above all I found was windows/ android stuff

trail_rat
    Free Member

You can buy tools to do what you ask for between 6 and 30 quid depending on car. Why does it need to be done by your phone specifically ?

RustyMac

Could you do Bluetooth to a laptop or netbook? Most come with a disk and computer program.

orangeboy
    Free Member

The cheaper tools seem to be car or at least make specific
    An app seemed a nice easy way to go about it

My laptop died and not seen the point in replacing it

legend
    Free Member

Didn’t realise (mostly cause I didn’t think there was a need for) that you could easily get a bluetooth adapter

trail_rat – Member
    You can buy tools to do what you ask for between 6 and 30 quid depending on car. Why does it need to be done by your phone specifically ?

many of them are utter-garbage though. E.g mine will only give a code of 01/01 N/A….. useful

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye well if you buy with your eyes closed 9/10times youll get shite.

Research. , mines works fine with obdII cars , diagnosed a buggered cps and a lambda as the reason my mates car didnt run and that my trucks fuel pump wasnt buggered 🙂

But many faults with cars wont register a fault or can trigger a false code so following a code reader blindly is an expensive game.

legend
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    Aye well if you buy with your eyes closed 9/10times youll get shite.

So what happens if you buy one recommended by a popular intarweb forum and its still shit?

Nice assumption though

orangeboy
    Free Member

Maybe. I should ask what stand alone reader is best on a budget

bencooper
    Free Member

You can get Bluetooth OBD2 widgets, but because of Apple’s locked-in Bluetooth, most of them won’t work with the iPhone. You can get WiFi OBD2 widgets too, and they do work.

The best app is DashCommand, but it’s not cheap – look on the App Store for OBD2 to find others.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is there an app for 5s that reads resets car fault codes’ is closed to new replies.