Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Is there actually anything in tickly cough medicine to stop me coughing?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

[cough] Or is it all marketing bow locks?

Glycerol & sugar is all I see on the label. [/cough]

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Pholcodine helps. Available “over the counter” in boots. But you may have to be persistent.

Recommended by a nurse friend. I imagine there are side effects or something.

And yes, the sugar remedies are all bollox. What’s your gp said?

allthegear
    Free Member

Morphine is a cough suppressant…

Rachel

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

And yes, the sugar remedies are all bollox. What’s your gp said?

“Stop wasting GP appointments”?

qwerty
    Free Member

Stop wasting GP appointments”?

Actually, no. Spoke with GP by phone, possibility of whooping cough, unable to swab / get results over BH weekend, discussed antibiotics, gonna let it run its course and time will tell.

kayak23

I’ve had a cough for near two weeks now. Cough medicine is a lie!
    I’m going to flush mine out with a camping trip in South Wales…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Any over the counter stuff is placebo at best.

Davesport

If you’re using Pholcodiene make sure & take double the recommended dose. That’s what my bank manager did after drinking the stuff from the bottle 8) Wondered why she was hallucinating 😆

camerone
    Free Member

Child coughing in bed.
    Administrator ‘cough medicine’.
    Child still coughing
    WHAT THE **** IS THE POINT OF THAT!

Felt good to get that off my chest…..

globalti
    Free Member

Cough mixture doesn’t do anything at all.

But it’s thick and tastes strange so it must be good, right?

footflaps

The ones in front of the counter are mainly sugar syrup. If you get Benylin Original, it contains something which does numb the throat and makes you drowsy, great for helping you sleep!

How does it work?
    Benylin chesty coughs original syrup contains two active ingredients, diphenhydramine hydrochloride and levomenthol.
    Diphenhydramine is a type of medicine called a sedating antihistamine. It works in a few ways to relieve a cough.
    Nasal mucus can often be the cause of cough in a cold, because it drips down the back of the throat, causing irritation. Diphenhydramine drys nasal secretions by stopping a natural body chemical called histamine from binding to its receptors. Histamine is a chemical produced naturally by the body that has many effects, including the production of allergic symptoms, such as a runny nose. Blocking histamine receptors prevents the actions of histamine, which reduces the production of mucus in the nose.
    Diphenhydramine enters the brain in sufficient quantities to causes drowsiness, and this sedative effect may help suppress a cough. It also has anticholinergic actions, which means that it reduces the nerve impulses that cause the cough reflex.
    Levomenthol has mild cooling and decongestant properties that help soothe a cough and ease congestion in the nasal passages and lungs.
    The combination of diphenhydramine and levomenthol in this medicine may be particularly useful for relieving a cough that is associated with a head

DrP

Well…..

Although no active ingredients in most cough syrups, they are thick, sweet, and sticky, which can sooth a ‘tickly’ cough, which can help at times… (like having a drink of water, or the old honey and lemon thing)

Codeine containing meds have cough suppressing properties…..As does over the counter co-codamol.

One final thing – please cover your mouth when you cough 😉

DrP

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Buy some anti-allergy tablets (antihistamines), take one a day for 5- 7 days. Say goodbye to cough.

Drac

Actually, no. Spoke with GP by phone, possibility of whooping cough, unable to swab / get results over BH weekend, discussed antibiotics, gonna let it run its course and time will tell.

Excellent choice beats talking up an appointment. Pharmacist would have been another good option.

Kryton57

I’ve got this cough. A but worried that its unlikely to go before Mondays Sportive.

Any “get me thought the next 4 hours on a bike” suggestions?

mudshark
    Free Member

Buy some anti-allergy tablets (antihistamines), take one a day for 5- 7 days. Say goodbye to cough.

The tablets won’t help and coughs tend to go in that time anyway right?!

I just use cough sweets which help stop coughing outbursts. Most coughs just have to run their course.

DrP

I’ll get my magic wand – I keep it for such important medical needs as this…..
    Upcoming holidays are another time I can wave it….

DrP

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Yonks ago, when all this was green fields, far as the eye could see…

Fast young git was a small child with a big cough. He didn’t sleep, neither did his parents. All were tired and irritable. In desperation I gave him a spoonfull of Sloe Gin as ‘medicine’. He slept. And again for two nights. He recovered.

Though cough-free all day he developed an optimistic cough at bedtime.

YMMV

jeb

I had a cold, for 14 days i did morning and evening, one piece raw ginger, thump size, one red chilli pepper, grinded in a electrical grinder, down the hatch, with a big glass of water, it nuked every bacteria, and i been superfresh since 😀

fervouredimage
    Free Member

The tablets won’t help and coughs tend to go in that time anyway right?!

I just use cough sweets which help stop coughing outbursts. Most coughs just have to run their course.

The tablets will work and not all coughs just ‘go’. Often a cold will leave you with a dry cough that can linger for weeks and weeks. Antihistamines will suppress your lungs sensitivity and will stop the cough completely after a few days. My own doctors advice and works.

– don’t use them if your cough is productive however. You need to let your body do its thing.

Kevevs
    Free Member

put whisky in it

scaredypants

spoonfull of Sloe Gin

My dad was a pharmacist; we always got hot ribena with whisky or brandy in it

Pholcodine my arse ! Pharmacies won’t sell you proper codeine any more, so I tend to opt for heroin these days. Cheap, effective, moreish 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Is there actually anything in tickly cough medicine to stop me coughing?’ is closed to new replies.