Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Is there a UK equivalent of impeachment?
  • mickmcd
    Free Member

Not like a general election or VONC, more like when something illegal has been done.

rene59
    Free Member

Doesn’t the Queen just have a word or something?

submarined
    Free Member

Imapplement?

matt_outandabout

Beheading?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Lying to the house is reasonably serious for any MP IIRC, but tough to prove.

18 years since I studied this!

bearnecessities

Peerage.

Greybeard
    Free Member

If something illegal has been done, prosecution would be expected. There’s a level of sentence (I think it’s a year in prison) that automatically disqualifies an MP.

MSP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment#United_Kingdom

It is a little unclear, it seems from my limited understanding, that either house can impeach anyone as effectively they are the highest legislative and legal body of the land. That the practice is all but abolished, but not by any law passed so it could still potentially happen.

wordnumb
    Free Member

One simply states that lessons will be learned and accepts a highly paid role or two in the private sector.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think impeachment is a legal instrument in the US to prosecute the President. I don’t think we need that in the UK as everyone’s subject to the rule of law anyway. Just ask Charles I. Parliament can in theory try someone because it’s technically a court, but I think you could also use the criminal courts. The PM after all is just an MP and they get prosecuted in the criminal courts all the time.

So I think you just get prosecuted as per normal. From the recent car crash case I think even Prince Phillip could have been prosecuted had they decided to press charges, couldn’t he?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Make em ride gravel.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Is there a UK equivalent of impeachment?’ is closed to new replies.