Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Is there a tidy way to replace central locking on a Transit with manual locks?
  • Mrs MTG has recently bought a Transit, mainly for camping duties.
    The central locking doesn’t work quite as it should and, while searching for advice on line, I found that it seems to be a common fault.

While everyone else is asking how to repair it, we’d rather do away with it altogether. We are both used to older cars, so are in the habit of doing a circuit of the vehicle to check all the doors are locked when parking anyway.

Is there a neat and tidy way of connecting some sort of flush fitting locks to the mechanism inside the side and rear doors?
    We don’t want big ugly hasp & staples, something that looks similar to the manual key locks on the front doors would be ideal.

Is there a ready made conversion kit or something I could adapt?

molgrips
    Free Member

It would seem to me to be far easier to fix the central locking than to replace with manual!

Drapoon
    Free Member

Woudln’t the easier solution be to disable the central locking function? I guess a garage with access to Fords IDS system could do this. This is assuming there are existing door locks you can use manually?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gazc
    Free Member

what about something like this? bit more discrete than hasp/staple

That’s the problem, Drapoon, there are no external manual locks on the side and rear doors.

Molgrips, the central locking seems to be notorious weak point of the Transit.
    Even if I fix it now, there’s a high probability that at some time in the future we will park up somewhere and find we are unable to lock the van.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s still going to be easier…..

trail_rat
    Free Member

take door cards off – see if the fittings are there to fix to.

chances are the doors will have the fittings , youll just need to source suitable locks and drill a hole.

if no fittings i would be tempted to fit an aftermarket solenoid kit – ive known people to have great success with some of these kits when the correct replacement lock assemblies have been astronomical and rare.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Is there a tidy way to replace central locking on a Transit with manual locks?’ is closed to new replies.