Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Is there a streaming app that’s less awful than spotify?
  • oldnpastit

At the end of a track, spotify goes back to playing some random piece of music rather than the next track in an album.

Maybe there’s a way to prevent it doing this, but having tried for *years* to get it do this right, I think it’s time to find something else.

What doesn’t suck in the streaming world?

Or back to CDs where there isn’t some shitty AI trying to second-guess my music choices?

petec
    Free Member

It’s never done that for me, but I think the free version does this – are you on that?

or have you got the shuffle tag highlighted – green at the bottom of the screen. (or on Android, ellipsis top right, you have shuffle and repeat in there. They should be white)

https://support.spotify.com/us/article/shuffle/

sharkattack

At the end of a track, spotify goes back to playing some random piece of music rather than the next track in an album.

Been listening at work for months. This has never ever happened to me.

thepurist

Go to Settings and turn off “Autoplay/Play similar tracks when your music ends” or whatever it’s called

oldnpastit

Paid for.
    Stupid shuffle thing is turned off.
    Linux client, so perhaps it just ignores it, I don’t know.

oldnpastit

Trying Amazon Prime music now, let’s see how that goes.

I imagine Jeff Bezos would not stand for being fed music in a random frustrating order.

It’s just gone from the first movement of Holst’s Moorside suite to the second movement, so it’s already ahead of Spotify.

kayak23

You’ve defo got it playing the artist, and not artist ‘radio’ right?

There’ll be something in the settings I’m sure.
    I use YouTube music for what it’s worth and find it pretty good.

It’s just gone from the first movement of Holst’s Moorside suite to the second movement,

Excellent. So glad you’re having regular movements.

Coyote
    Free Member

There is a setting to play music of a similar genre once the current selection has finished. Worth checking out? Not sure why it doesn’t finish the album though.

Other considerations apart, I’ve had no issues with Spotify. We have the family subscription and find it to be a really good service.

StuF

Have you selected the album to play and not just the song?

flyingmonkeycorps

As above – if you want to play an album on Spotify, search the album and play it (or play a track from in it). If you search a song it’ll play that then create a custom radio station based on it.

To be honest, it’s one of my most used Spotify features.

oldnpastit

This seems to have fixed it:

sudo dpkg -r spotify-client

It also has the very frustrating super-slow startup, which I think must be a Linux bug – you have to clear out the cache directory periodically. The above command has fixed that as well.

nickc

or a streaming app that doesn’t pause songs at 9 secs…

llama

Complains about something not working straight away

Uses Linux

oldnpastit

OK, now trying koboz, seems to have a better range of better quality versions of Holst’s Moorside Suite than either Spotify, or Amazon.

I’m now wondering though if I should just bite the bullet and hire my own private orchestra. More expensive, but a lot less frustrating.

Edit: actually koboz has some pretty amazing music. It’s quite nice listening to a brass quartet where the notes are not all mushed together, and the music sounds like it was written after I was born, rather than before.

phil5556

If you know what you want to listen to (e.g. full albums) and don’t want to have new music suggested for you then I found Apple Music to be much better for that side of things.

I’ve switched to Spotify last year as I wanted to try out its music suggestions and playlists, which are limited on Apple.

The Queue in Spotify is infuriating though!

luket

The Queue in Spotify is infuriating though!

+1

I’d like just to select a track to play after this one’s finished. Or is there an easy way to do that I haven’t spotted? Generally I play either whole albums or playlists and find it fine for that.

funkmasterp

The queue can **** right off and die in a skip fire. Other than that Spotify seems to have the widest selection of music and a decent interface.

All I want to do is add another album to the queue and not have it start after the current track and then play the rest of the first album after the new one.

Oh removing the ability to shuffle your entire library was a dick move too!

nickc

Other than that Spotify seems to have the widest selection of music

I don’t want to sound like my Dad, but Spotify has the widest selection of pop/rock/modern music. It’s selection of Classical* is woeful**

* Yes, I know, I’m just lumping it all together for brevity

** Christ, I sound like my Dad…

flannol
    Free Member

I’d like just to select a track to play after this one’s finished. Or is there an easy way to do that I haven’t spotted? Generally I play either whole albums or playlists and find it fine for that.

Swipe right adds a song to the queue. Sorry if misunderstood and you knew this!

+1 agree the ui is a bit fiddly and every half a year they seem to change ALL THE F******NG MENU OPTIONS around for no apparent reason. But it’s an amazing service and I’m sure I speak on behalf of most people i know – too – life would honestly be a little bit less without it

joebristol

I preferred Apple Music personally – but swapped to Spotify as I got a Garmin watch that could sync playlists with it so I could run / commute with Bluetooth headphones connected to the watch rather than have to take my phone etc.

I’d still be with Apple if they didn’t stubbornly refuse to integrate their services with other technology.

Stainypants

No music app is worse than youtube music id take Spotify anyday if i could.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

Good luck finding another music streaming app with the amount of content that Spotify has for a measly £10 a month.

cheese@4p

Sorry for the slight hijack but can someone tell me how to get the song fade-togther play mode if it’s still there?
    I used to like it but it I can’t find it now.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Settings>crossfade

Set the time you want.

funkmasterp

I don’t want to sound like my Dad, but Spotify has the widest selection of pop/rock/modern music. It’s selection of Classical* is woeful**

Dad, is that you? Where’ve your been and when did you get in to classical music?

All joking aside I’ve tried pretty much all the streaming services and Spotify definitely has the largest catalogue for pretty much all styles of music. All bar classical it would seem.

I preferred Deezers interface by a mile and Qubuz for quality. The breadth of music and Spotify connect swing it though. Just wish they’d stop removing the best bits and messing with the UI

phil5556

Swipe right adds a song to the queue. Sorry if misunderstood and you knew this!

It adds the song to play next, there is no way to add to the end of the queue.

I’m happily listening to an album, decide what I want to listen to after this one has finished. But no, I’m going to play it for you after this song has finished, and then merrily carry on playing the rest of the original album.

Why does anyone think that’s a good idea??

Caher

Try the Sonos app, looks like it was revamped by the the intern. Spotify app always works fine for me.

b33k34

It adds the song to play next, there is no way to add to the end of the queue.

I’m happily listening to an album, decide what I want to listen to after this one has finished. But no, I’m going to play it for you after this song has finished, and then merrily carry on playing the rest of the original album.

It’s taken me a long while but I think I understand the queue now. What you’re saying isn’t actually correct.

1)your queue is empty
    You click on the first song in an album. This has NOT added the album to the queue. Spotify will play the album in sequence. If you “add to queue” it will play that song next then carry on with the album.

2) you play the album by clicking on the 3 little dots next to the album title. And “add to queue”. Since the whole album is in the queue any tracks you add to the queue now will play after the album has finished.

3) you have an album or selection of songs in the queue. You click on a song. It stops what is playing and starts playing that song. Then returns to the queue. This is the one that annoys me as I do it with my fat fingers by accident.

The Apple Music queue is more intuitive. Hitting play clears queue and replaces the thing you’ve just selected. Then you have both play next and play later (end of queue) options. However, in Apple Music you can spend ages building up a list of tracks in your queue and then lose the lot by accidentally clicking play on something (ie default action is “clear queue and play this” rather than “clear track and play this”. On balance. I prefer Spotify but it could do with a “play next in queue” and a few other tweaks. At least they’ve added a “clear queue” button now.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Is there a streaming app that’s less awful than spotify?’ is closed to new replies.